The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Bsc Economics and Statistics/ Statistics, Economics and Finance

Hi, did anyone apply for this in this cycle? Or any current students studying these degrees have any input into what the course is like, job prospects, and my chances of getting an offer?

I achieved AAB in my A2 results this year, but was close to A*AA (Maths, Biology, Chemistry respectively).

After resitting one paper in Maths and Chem during my gap year, I should end up with A*AA.
I will also finish off my A2 economics, which I dropped at AS, and be predicted an A* on it (since I got 90%+ in AS).

So essentially my situation is that I'll be a resit student who achieved AAB but should achieve and get predicted A*A*AA for 2012 entry application.
My GCSEs are 4 A*s 4As 1B.

What are my chances of getting an offer from these courses then? Anyone know how competitive they are? And what are the job prospects?

Thanks! =)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nobody applying, applied or studying any of these courses??? =S
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
if you're predicted A*A*AA you have a very good shot although I think universities now see whether you resited exams

jobs prospects are very good (IB etc)

econ and stats > econ stats and finance from what I ve seen both in terms of competion to get into and jobs prospects.
Reply 3
Original post by Frenchous
if you're predicted A*A*AA you have a very good shot although I think universities now see whether you resited exams

jobs prospects are very good (IB etc)

econ and stats > econ stats and finance from what I ve seen both in terms of competion to get into and jobs prospects.

Thanks =) Do you know anything about the applicant ratio? Also I heard you don't even need to mention stats in your personal statement? Is this true?

Also are you studying or applying for econ and stats?

Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by Confused101
Thanks =) Do you know anything about the applicant ratio? Also I heard you don't even need to mention stats in your personal statement? Is this true?

Also are you studying or applying for econ and stats?

Thanks!

no i am studying straight econ. I dont know about specific applicant/place ratios but you might find them on the website.
Hi, did anyone apply for this in this cycle? Or any current students studying these degrees have any input into what the course is like, job prospects, and my chances of getting an offer?

I achieved AAB in my A2 results this year, but was close to A*AA (Maths, Biology, Chemistry respectively).

After resitting one paper in Maths and Chem during my gap year, I should end up with A*AA.
I will also finish off my A2 economics, which I dropped at AS, and be predicted an A* on it (since I got 90%+ in AS).

So essentially my situation is that I'll be a resit student who achieved AAB but should achieve and get predicted A*A*AA for 2012 entry application.

What are my chances of getting an offer from these courses then? Anyone know how competitive they are? And what are the job prospects?

Thanks! =)

I'm really sorry but I'm not convinced you will have a good chance at all. Your GCSEs are well below average for someone applying to do an economics related subject at UCL and most applicants will match your predicted grades having studied A levels in two years, whereas you will only achieve this having studied A-levels in three years. Plus you don't have further maths, which while not essential is something that most applicants will have for pure economics, let alone economics and statistics/ statistics, economics and finance.

So basically you are going to achieve the same A-level grades as the average applicant with a year more time spent studying them, while also having significantly lower GCSE grades than average and not having A-level further maths.

Job prospects for all of these degrees are excellent. They are among the best you can get. However economics courses at UCL are among the most competitive courses in Europe to gain entry to at undergraduate level. That is why as explained above I don't think you have that much chance given that you are spending more time getting the same grades as the average applicant, have less good GCSE grades than average and don't have further maths.

Statistics as a single subject is significantly easier to get onto, but again you should have done further maths.
Reply 6
Original post by green_freedom
I'm really sorry but I'm not convinced you will have a good chance at all. Your GCSEs are well below average for someone applying to do an economics related subject at UCL and most applicants will match your predicted grades having studied A levels in two years, whereas you will only achieve this having studied A-levels in three years. Plus you don't have further maths, which while not essential is something that most applicants will have for pure economics, let alone economics and statistics/ statistics, economics and finance.

So basically you are going to achieve the same A-level grades as the average applicant with a year more time spent studying them, while also having significantly lower GCSE grades than average and not having A-level further maths.

Job prospects for all of these degrees are excellent. They are among the best you can get. However economics courses at UCL are among the most competitive courses in Europe to gain entry to at undergraduate level. That is why as explained above I don't think you have that much chance given that you are spending more time getting the same grades as the average applicant, have less good GCSE grades than average and don't have further maths.

Statistics as a single subject is significantly easier to get onto, but again you should have done further maths.

That's not really correct... SEF isn't majority Economics by any means, and the applicant pool is nowhere near as competitive as it is for Economics. That being the case, 4A* 4A 1B isn't going to be below average. I'd say it is around average, if not, a little over.
I do agree about Further Maths though, I'd think that most applicants applying will have it at least to AS Level, if not A2.

Thanks! =)

I'm not really sure on UCL's take on students doing things over more than one sitting, so I can't really say if you'll get an offer or not. If it was your first time round, and you were predicted A*A*AA with a good PS, I'd imagine you would have got one.

I applied too.
Reply 7
Sorry to intervene but I have a similar question, what are my chances of getting an offer for Statistics, Economics and Finance with 'below average' GCSES: 8A 3B, AS: A(maths)A(economics)B(further maths)B(chemistry) and A2 predictions: A*(maths)A(economics)A(further maths)? Thanks

Thanks! =)

Your GCSE's and A-Levels are not bad, suitable enough with a powerful personal statement to get into UCL but I am not completely sure if UCL accept people who resit A-level.

I am not exactly sure about the numbers of applicants but I know LSE Economics has 3000 applicants approximately. Now, I would view UCL to have abit less as LSE is famous for Economics but some people know this so they intend on applying to UCL. A rough estimate would be around 2000 for the 170ish places they have.
The word of someone off of tsr isn't going to hold much weight. Admissions tutors especially at UCL are happy to reply to such inquires of what a good standard applicant looks like.

I got an offer for Maths with Econ (chose this over Econ and Stats) Despite having ABBBCCCC at GCSE, so no one can really tell. Also I left college halfway through year 12 (after january exams) and went back to sixth form, so I'm kind of a resit applicant...

If you have strong UMS in maths modules and they ask for it, I imagine you would be in a good position as this would hold a lot of weight.
Reply 10
Nobody applying, applied or studying any of these courses??? =S

Hello I am a second year

With response to your first post,

The course is harder than pure econ, (we have 19 hours of lecture + tut in second year compared with pure econ with just 12, our course content is much harder too...)
I personally did 7 A levels and im struggling with the work, but thats because im more prospect focused haha
job prospect is fantasic, we produce alot of traders in IBs but it REALLY depends on individual
chance of offer from Econ and Stats is high, purely because everyone else applies for pure econ for the sake of applying for pure econ

DO NOT APPLY IF YOU DON'T ENJOY STATISTICS
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Thanks for the replies guys, but I learnt a while ago after emailing UCL that they don't consider people who didn't achieve an A* in maths the first time around...so that shuts me out. They said I can try for pure Statistics course but my PS isn't focused on that and I don't think I'd enjoy a solely statistics-focused course.
Reply 12
Original post by dawgnut
Hello I am a second year

With response to your first post,

The course is harder than pure econ, (we have 19 hours of lecture + tut in second year compared with pure econ with just 12, our course content is much harder too...)
I personally did 7 A levels and im struggling with the work, but thats because im more prospect focused haha
job prospect is fantasic, we produce alot of traders in IBs but it REALLY depends on individual
chance of offer from Econ and Stats is high, purely because everyone else applies for pure econ for the sake of applying for pure econ

DO NOT APPLY IF YOU DON'T ENJOY STATISTICS

Don't suppose you have any idea what sort of month they start giving offers out?
Reply 13
Original post by joshgoldman
Don't suppose you have any idea what sort of month they start giving offers out?

Hmm I think they invite students in batches to attend one of the 3-4 open days

Probably first batch this month?
They will have more spaces up untill February dont worry
First few batches would have around 65 people in each I think
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by dawgnut
Hmm I think they invite students in batches to attend one of the 3-4 open days

Probably first batch this month?
They will have more spaces up untill February dont worry
First few batches would have around 65 people in each I think

Thanks. Are there 1-on-1 interviews at the open days? Are they formal (a.k.a Oxbridge style) or just chats (a.k.a Warwick style)?
Reply 15
Thanks. Are there 1-on-1 interviews at the open days? Are they formal (a.k.a Oxbridge style) or just chats (a.k.a Warwick style)?

no, no, not sure what warwick style is like

it bascially gives u a taster of the course, tour of the campus and general informations

it is only mandatory to filter out those candidates who don't intend to accept the offer (ie. cba attending)
Reply 16
Original post by dawgnut
no, no, not sure what warwick style is like

it bascially gives u a taster of the course, tour of the campus and general informations

it is only mandatory to filter out those candidates who don't intend to accept the offer (ie. cba attending)

So nothing's really resting on the interview. Open day attendance = offer. That's Warwick style haha. Thanks for your help!
Reply 17
So nothing's really resting on the interview. Open day attendance = offer. That's Warwick style haha. Thanks for your help!

There won't be an interview, it is literally an open day to introduce you to ucl and econ&stats lol

best of luck with your application :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by dawgnut
There won't be an interview, it is literally an open day to introduce you to ucl and econ&stats lol

best of luck with your application :biggrin:

Thanks a lot. See you soon, I hope!
Reply 19
anyone got an interview/openday yet?

Quick Reply