The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

Asians: "oh accounting, typical eh?"

Everyone else: "oh wow that sounds so interesting! :bigsmile:" (accounting is never interesting, stop lying to my face)
Original post by elleay
(Character Animation)

"Oh you must be a good drawer then."

"So we'll see you working for Disney in the future!"

"Can you draw me?"

-facepalm- I'm done

Well you didn't specify whether it was 3D or 2D animation. Seems like normal responses to me lmao.
Original post by holly1798
I've not started yet but when I say forensic psychology I get one of three

"like that dude from csi?"

"what the **** is that?"

"oh cool.....like crime scenes and stuff?"

I then just tell them to google it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will you do forensic profiling ?
Original post by Kadak
Will you do forensic profiling ?

yeah im pretty forensic profiling is part of couces, the one i am looking to apply to in combined with criminal justice so its more psychology based and then a few topics focus on crime and such
Original post by holly1798
yeah im pretty forensic profiling is part of couces, the one i am looking to apply to in combined with criminal justice so its more psychology based and then a few topics focus on crime and such

Forenaic psycholigy is pretty cool.It be cool if you come face to face in a interview with a
serial killer,arguably a forensic psychologiat greatest challenge.
Original post by Iron Mask Duval
When I tell people I do Geology I get one of these:

1. "Isn't that the study of rocks ? What can you do with that"?
2. "Oh, like what Ross does on Friends"?
3. "...Geology Rocks"!
4. "Oh! Oh! I know about Geology! Sedimentary, Igneous and Metamorphic"!

The only difference between you and me is I don't find it funny when I hear it because i've heard it all so many times i've lost count. What's worse is there's not good replies to them.

1. Well quite a lot actually, since the study of rocks is the study of earth resources I can get into the oil industry, groundwater industry or even the mineral exploitation industry which....(by this point they just have a blank expression on their face and no longer care).

2. Not really, Ross specializes in palaentology (at which point they interupt with "Oh like Dinosaurs"?!). Then I have to reply with "Well, we don't really do much on dinosaurs, it's more microfossils like trilobites, graptolites and bivalves, or studying the past climate in order to create models so that....(by this point, they have lost interest).

3. ....Did it ever occur to you that i'd have heard that joke loads of times before so won't find it funny now ?

4. There's more to it than that, but I really can't be bothered to explain it.

Annoyingly I can no longer just use the "it's the study of earthquakes, volcanoes, fossils and oil" excuse as when I start the masters in engineering geology it's not something that can be summed up in a single sentence.
So far all I have prepared is "..It's basically just like Civil Engineering", and if they don't know what that is, i'll just point them to the nearest Google search engine.

That's what my sister is doing, and you've summed up her typical responses perfectly :biggrin:
Original post by Navi_Fairy
I think the best reply I got after saying I was going to do pharmacy was...

"What? You're going to work on a farm?!"

i'm dead
Original post by Kadak
Forenaic psycholigy is pretty cool.It be cool if you come face to face in a interview with a
serial killer,arguably a forensic psychologiat greatest challenge.

thats why i looked at this path, im so fascinated and interested in killers mindsets and such
Original post by omegaSQU4RED
"Oh my God, you study maths? You must be really clever!"

Or maybe I'm just good at passing exams, which is what 70% or so of my degree consisted of...

I think you wouldn't have gotten a first if you were only good at passing exams. :smile:
Starting a History and Politics degree in September.

"So you're gonna be homeless then with no job and no money."

"Politics?! Why? Do you want to go into politics?"

"Seems boring and tough. You'll end up in teaching."
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrayBullet
Does anybody else get a 'typical' response?

I study psychology and almost laugh to myself before mentioning this, simply because I know full well that they will respond by saying something along the lines of; "Oooh, don't figure me out!", "better watch what I say around you then, eh!". Makes me feel like a right manipulative cow!

Anyone else have similar retorts? :biggrin:

Wow, you are so smart.
French with American Studies.

The dazed face I get from people after I tell them this is one that I might aswell have told them "im studying your brother eddy"
(edited 8 years ago)
You are really cool
First degree was physics:
"Wow, you must be really clever!" (To which I later learned the best respopnse is 'then why does it make me feel so stupid!')

Masters degree was in Volcanology:
"What, like Star Trek?" or "What's that?"

About to start my PhD in Volcanology and at the moment I get more of the latter when I tell people what I'm going to study.
I think the best response when I told someone at Church that I was going to do French and Linguistics:

"Oh, so you could go into Bible translation!"

Usually they ask me what Linguistics is, and ask about what I'm going to do on my year abroad.
Original post by Geena-
I study economics, and the most common responses I get are: "That's quite a masculine subject, why don't you do nursing or something?", "Oh, so you want to be an investment banker... like Wolf of Wall Street right?" and "You must really hate yourself"

Rofl they must have awful social skills.

Original post by rayquaza17
Conversation today:
"Oh what are you doing at uni?"
"Maths"
"Oh do you want to be a teacher like"

When did maths degree = teaching degree???????

Everyone gets that, it is very annoying.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by leahdw
I think the best response when I told someone at Church that I was going to do French and Linguistics:

"Oh, so you could go into Bible translation!"

Usually they ask me what Linguistics is, and ask about what I'm going to do on my year abroad.

Show them their fate.
1432849040068.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Show them their fate.
1432849040068.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that the Department of Work and Pensions?
Original post by whorace
Is that the Department of Work and Pensions?

Something like that.

You see, my plan is to study theology at Cambridge so I can become a witch hunter.

I'm actually serious.
Person: 'Oh, Creative Writing? And what job do you want out of that?'
Me: 'I'm not entirely sure - they gave examples of different areas we could work in, so I'll look into it more over the next three years.'
Person: 'But what job do you want at the end? What job can you get from writing stories?' :dry:

Person: 'You should go for a more secure degree.'
Me: 'What if I said I was doing Psychology?'
Person: 'Lots of students do Psychology and you'll get a job with that degree'
Me: 'A degree in Psychology, History and English don't equate to a specific job either! The only difference is that CW is less common to hear about!' :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending