Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Announcements Posted on
Find the answers: Edexcel GCSE maths unofficial mark scheme 05-05-2016
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Maths. Responses tend to be either of the *back away slowly* or the "here, do some mental arithmetic" variety.
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodwinning)
    Yeah, my bf's dad did English at Oxford and he's doing/done quite well for himself as a lawyer.

Now, I'm just taking a wild guess here but I think their success may be more to do with the fact that they both got their degrees from Oxbridge than because they did English.
    Well Bristol is the best I thought I could do, so I guess I'll just have to deal with imminent failure if you're right. Not a nice prospect honestly.
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrayBullet)
    Does anybody else get a 'typical' response?

I study psychology and almost laugh to myself before mentioning this, simply because I know full well that they will respond by saying something along the lines of; "Oooh, don't figure me out!", "better watch what I say around you then, eh!". Makes me feel like a right manipulative cow!

Anyone else have similar retorts?
    I get a very 'typical' response and I can tell you, it's very annoying.
    I study Drama in The Community and as soon as I tell someone that, they go from sounding impressed that I'm attending university to sounding like they think I'm wasting my time.
    It's always like "drama? what do you do, just sit around all day and talk about shakespeare?" or "haha, drama?! because pretending to be a tree all day is that hard?" and the classic "look at me, I'm an angry tree"

I just laugh a long due to the fact I'm too tired from putting the hard work into my course that it demands to argue back.
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarleenQuinzel)
    Well Bristol is the best I thought I could do, so I guess I'll just have to deal with imminent failure if you're right. Not a nice prospect honestly.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't personally believe that English degree=working in retail. Realistically, there are some subjects that do not make you as employable as others but like every degree it's all about how you apply yourself to maximise your job prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodwinning)
    Yeah, my bf's dad did English at Oxford and he's doing/done quite well for himself as a lawyer.

Now, I'm just taking a wild guess here but I think their success may be more to do with the fact that they both got their degrees from Oxbridge than because they did English.
    Very likely aha
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Oh so you want to be a plumber
    of the ben 10 variety :P
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrayBullet)
    Does anybody else get a 'typical' response?

I study psychology and almost laugh to myself before mentioning this, simply because I know full well that they will respond by saying something along the lines of; "Oooh, don't figure me out!", "better watch what I say around you then, eh!". Makes me feel like a right manipulative cow!

Anyone else have similar retorts?
    I study Forensic Psychology and Criminal Justice, so needless to say I get some pretty strange reactions haha

The one's I get the most are:
    1. So is that serial killers and stuff?
    2. What am I thinking right now then?
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    speech therapy - what I'm applying for ...
    a lot of people don't really know what it is, even my mother (who was a nurse) seems to think it's something about making speeches and just children.
    Or it's looked down upon I guess because people might see it as one of those unimportant health professions that just interfere and piss people off or something - even though it's nothing like that
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting audiology

what I got was 'why do you want to look in ears'
    'I couldn't do that' ... its much more than looking in ears but its not a largely known profession so people try to judge without fully understanding what I'm going into
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Back when I was doing psychology it was either "ooh can you read my mind?" or "don't most people just do psychology to analyse themselves?"

My second degree honestly would mostly get blank stares until I explained it. Sometimes the other person would know what it was and it was amazing.

My job now gets a similar response. Either silence or some sort of noise alluding to it sounding like a fancy title. Rarely do people know what it is.
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Back when I was doing psychology it was either "ooh can you read my mind?" or "don't most people just do psychology to analyse themselves?"

My second degree honestly would mostly get blank stares until I explained it. Sometimes the other person would know what it was and it was amazing.

My job now gets a similar response. Either silence or some sort of noise alluding to it sounding like a fancy title. Rarely do people know what it is.
    What was your degree?
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started yet when people ask what I will be studying, it's an 'ohhh right' or some sort of raised eyebrow expression which I can never decipher. It's either mildly impressed or disappoving - probably the latter.
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zefiros)
    They: "Computer science, is that like IT?"
    Me: "It's like maths."
    They: *gasp*

Me: "Computer science."
    They: "Good, so if anything if wrong with my PC I can call you."
    I have a friend who does computer science and I must say I am guilty of saying this to them
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Me: Oh I'm doing education BA
    Person: oh your carrying on education? What course are you doing at university?
    Me:.........
    Person: ?
    Me: Education BA is my degree......
    Me: it's about education as a whole...theorists.....history of education....
    Person:.....
    Me: *sigh* it's childcare
    Person: Ooooooooh! So you want to be a primary school teacher?
    Me: no.....
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    "So you want to be a lawyer?" - Presumptive but logical enough conclusion.

"Ahhh so you're gonna be rich!" - Again presumptive because the legal profession is being decimated..

"Ahh you must be smart" - Not particularly, I'm just able to "play the game" as it were throughout my course, you don't have to be particularly brainy to study Law.

Yeah I study law... the joy
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    "you're going to be somebody's doctor one day?"

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 12, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR

Edexcel GCSE maths answers

Check the unofficial mark scheme

Poll
What date is the EU referendum on?
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.