The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

Interior Design:
"I love decorating rooms!".
"So you spend three years matching paint, wallpaper and fabric?".
"Do you want to be the new Laurence Llewelyn Bowen?".

:facepalm:

Now that I'm doing Textile Design it's more like:
"I could never work a sewing machine". :colone: Btw you could go throughout your whole degree without using one. :tongue:

I take it that I'm being negged by people who don't enjoy their subjects?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by IamBeowulf
+rep :rofl:

I know its meant to be good but what is chemical engineering ???

Engineering Chemicals...

But if thats a bit brief here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_engineering

:biggrin:
The usual response is 'Oh you do literature...so what books are you reading?'
one word WOW!
Original post by -G-a-v-
Haha, brilliant :biggrin:

I did physics, and got much the same responses. 'OMG you must be well clever' or something along those lines.

He was doing geology.

A week later when he still hadn't been set any work and we'd handed in our freshers week maths homework and were spending our evenings working out the center of mass of a water molecule or the energy released in nuclear reactions I started to think he had a point. :frown:
Reply 65
Original post by Nightstar-27
I haven't started it yet (I start this month) but here's what I get for Psychology;
- "Ah can you give me free treatment cause I'm a little crazy"
- "Does this mean you'll be able to read my mind/ doesn't that teach you how to read minds ?"
- "That's not even a science/ it's a mickey mouse course?"
- They tell me all their problems like I care and/or I have the answers.

and for some positives;
- "Me too!"
- "That sounds interesting"

I get the same thing! Its so annoying that people think its a mickey mouse course :angry:
(Not there yet.. but after telling people (especially a family FULL of science/doctor types) of the career path I am going down, I get..)

Art?...

:lolwut:

What are you going to do with that?
Reply 67
I study Languages and get quite a few different, but all quite irritating responses:

either 1) Wow....that sounds really difficult.
2) I speak German/French/Spanish too! *insert broken sentences and crappy pronunciation*
3) 'Oh so you're gonna be a translator then?'
or
4) 'Whats the point? Everyone speaks English anyways.'

apart from #4 being the most ignorant it's #2 which is possibly the most annoying/depressing. I can't count the amount of times (esp during freshers week) when i've had the who are you/what do you study/where do you come from conversation with new people and got bored of them while they're stood there trying to work out the German past tenses. Funny to watch, but goddamn annoying after the nth time.
Reply 68
Not necessarily studying it now but when I tell people what I want to study...

"Wow, so are you like, fluent?"
"Oh... so do you just study anime?"
"Why not Spanish or French?"
"Do people even speak that?"
"So do you want to do Accounting then?" - NO
"Oh wow, I hated maths, I was never any good"
(edited 12 years ago)
Aha, Dr Rob....

Not for 5 more years guys...:banghead:
Reply 71
I'm studying Graphics this year and I get a lot of;
"Oh right... What does that involve?"
"Where's that gonna get you?"
"Can you design stuff for me for free then?"
Reply 72
Person: "So what do you study?"
Me: "Old Norse."
Person: " . . ."

:s-smilie:
"Oh. With those grades?! Why not audiology or become a doctor? What a waste!" <- popular teacher response
"You'll be that person in the corner of the telly at 3am doing this *waves arms about*!" <- popular student response

I want to do BSL Sign Language interpreting.
The amount of people trying to put me off it is amazing. Truly incredible. XD "But, you'll be working with Deaf people!?" "I'm Deaf." "Yeah but they're kinda scary aren't they?" O.O"
"What? Is that like mapping the human body or something? I swear that's just biology..."

I can't believe some people.
Reply 75
Criminology 'Oh that sounds like fun, Did CSI make you wanna do it?'
"So what are you doing at uni then?"
"Sociology"
"oh..."
"... it includes a year at the University of Tokyo"
"OOOOOOOOOO WOW OMG OMG!"

To be honest it depends who is asking - my older relatives have genuinely said "You'll be Prime Minister one day" (bless them!), pretentious Biology first years have said "that's a doss degree" but each to their own. I've had people on TSR PM'ing me with torrents of abuse about how "Us physicists (and other such like respected students) need people like you doing the laughable degrees in order to distinguish the good from the bag [sic]."

Honestly I find people with opinions like that pretty pathetic. Usually children with no knowledge of the real world.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by akj08
I'm doing medicine but agree with the 'you must be really clever' comment - I still don't know how to answer it; if you say 'not really' (which is genuine) or something similar, they often reply with 'well I must be really stupid then', leading to awkward silence/mumbing.

Exactly :smile:
They usually tell me about a disputed will or about the time their neighbour erected a very tall fence which protruded into their garden slightly.

Either that or: "Oh... lots of reading then?"
Reply 79
Going to study Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
Usually gets one of those blank looks of 'What the **** is that?'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending