I study psychology and almost laugh to myself before mentioning this, simply because I know full well that they will respond by saying something along the lines of; "Oooh, don't figure me out!", "better watch what I say around you then, eh!". Makes me feel like a right manipulative cow!
When I tell people I do Geology I get one of these:
1. "Isn't that the study of rocks ? What can you do with that"?
2. "Oh, like what Ross does on Friends"?
3. "...Geology Rocks"!
4. "Oh! Oh! I know about Geology! Sedimentary, Igneous and Metamorphic"!
The only difference between you and me is I don't find it funny when I hear it because i've heard it all so many times i've lost count. What's worse is there's not good replies to them.
1. Well quite a lot actually, since the study of rocks is the study of earth resources I can get into the oil industry, groundwater industry or even the mineral exploitation industry which....(by this point they just have a blank expression on their face and no longer care).
2. Not really, Ross specializes in palaentology (at which point they interupt with "Oh like Dinosaurs"?!). Then I have to reply with "Well, we don't really do much on dinosaurs, it's more microfossils like trilobites, graptolites and bivalves, or studying the past climate in order to create models so that....(by this point, they have lost interest).
3. ....Did it ever occur to you that i'd have heard that joke loads of times before so won't find it funny now ?
4. There's more to it than that, but I really can't be bothered to explain it.
Annoyingly I can no longer just use the "it's the study of earthquakes, volcanoes, fossils and oil" excuse as when I start the masters in engineering geology it's not something that can be summed up in a single sentence.
So far all I have prepared is "..It's basically just like Civil Engineering", and if they don't know what that is, i'll just point them to the nearest Google search engine.
eyebrows go up *Fwwahh, that sounds tricky* luckily there aren't a whole load of jokes that can be made, thank god.
I have been known to make up degrees to try and mess with this response. Neuropharmacological Studies with Portrait Photography is always a good one for responses. Especially when i tell them that the photography is an important diagnostic method for neuro
I haven't started it yet (I start this month) but here's what I get for Psychology;
- "Ah can you give me free treatment cause I'm a little crazy"
- "Does this mean you'll be able to read my mind/ doesn't that teach you how to read minds ?"
- "That's not even a science/ it's a mickey mouse course?"
- They tell me all their problems like I care and/or I have the answers.
and for some positives;
- "Me too!"
- "That sounds interesting"
"Wow, that sounds complicated"
I'm doing International Relations and Global Issues
Edit: Okey honestly, what's up with the neg? Do people think I implied something? I don't believe I impied anything. All I did was to straightforwardly anser the question. What am I supposed to do? "It seems complicated" is their usual response and even though I don't find my subject any more complicated than other subjects, and the fact that they might not be the sharpest knives in the box, it's still their response - for what this thread is intended.