The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Would anyone be interested in...

Hey guys I was just wondering if anybody would be interested in making a Karting society. I noticed it wasnt on the list of societies and as im a big fan, I was thinking of starting one up. would anyone be interested in joining? Oh and does anyone know if there is a go kart area near nottingham? something not too far from the uni and hopefully outdoors and indoors (for all weather types)...

oh and to any people who have started there own society from scratch...

1) Does it cost anything to create the society?
2) I would need 20 people to join right?
3) Does it invovle a big time commitment? for example if i made the Soc then would I have to organise events and email people etc (im so up for that though!)

thnx in advance guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've never been, but there's this place near Loughborough.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey thnx for the quick reply...this is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking. one indoors and then if I could find an outdoors track that would be awesome (outdoors is faster and they vary the track from time to time in some places...I think).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ace_of_Spades
Hey thnx for the quick reply...this is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking. one indoors and then if I could find an outdoors track that would be awesome (outdoors is faster and they vary the track from time to time in some places...I think).

There's a nice outdoor track in Sheffield: http://www.parkwoodkarting.com/
I'll join if we can dress up as characters from Mario Kart.

I shotgun Donkey Kong.
Reply 5
check out lakeside karting... just amazing
Reply 6
Original post by cunningstunt87
I'll join if we can dress up as characters from Mario Kart.

I shotgun Donkey Kong.

As long as we use this track.
http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/getinvolved/societies/new/

Has all the practical info on how to start a soc. 25 people. need 25 pounds of membership fees, which is given back to you if you are not successful in creating the society. Each soc needs a president and treasurer, they wont have to necessarily be you, but 2 people out of the 25 - and its as much time commitment as you, or they, want to put into it really.
Original post by alex-hs
As long as we use this track.

I like the cut of your jib, sir!!

x

On a serious note, I'd be willing to join as long as it represented value for money. I've got a few mates who might be interested in joining if you were able to get any movement with it.

Best of luck to you!!

Nice to see someone on this board showing a bit of initiative!
Reply 9
Sounds good, but looking at the first track linked, at ~ £40 each for a group race, I doubt you could expect people to be willing to go too often.
The first link also has "arive and drive" for £25 for students.
Reply 11
I like the cut of your jib, sir!!

On a serious note, I'd be willing to join as long as it represented value for money. I've got a few mates who might be interested in joining if you were able to get any movement with it.

Best of luck to you!!

Nice to see someone on this board showing a bit of initiative!

It great to hear that people are interested. When you say value for money what do you mean exactly? For example would you want fairly regular sessions in a year? If the cost of a session was £25 do you think people would regularly want to come? because if you wanted quite a few sessions a year (which I am assuming is what you meant by value for money) that really depends on how many people are willing to go on a regular basis and pay the £25 each time, because the cost of membership to the society (£3-£5) obviously wont cover the total costs!

and thanks to everyone posting info about nearby tracks. With a few more tracks I'm sure we can make the society fun and unique (we don't wanna race the same track over and over).

so thanks again and keep the info coming!
It great to hear that people are interested. When you say value for money what do you mean exactly? For example would you want fairly regular sessions in a year? If the cost of a session was £25 do you think people would regularly want to come? because if you wanted quite a few sessions a year (which I am assuming is what you meant by value for money) that really depends on how many people are willing to go on a regular basis and pay the £25 each time, because the cost of membership to the society (£3-£5) obviously wont cover the total costs!

and thanks to everyone posting info about nearby tracks. With a few more tracks I'm sure we can make the society fun and unique (we don't wanna race the same track over and over).

so thanks again and keep the info coming!

I'm not 100% certain how societies finances are calculated and there are plenty of people on here who know better than me (CosmicDolphin, DanCooper and DarkWhite for example).

At £25 a go I'd be up for doing a couple of events a term, but obviously I wouldn't be able to afford to do it every week.

To be honest, you'd probably have a lot more luck setting up a motor racing society and making Karting a social event rather than setting up a society specifically for Karting. There were more people in our JCR watching the Grand Prix's than there were for the Champions League games in our first year. So you could organise meets to watch races and try and organise a day out to the British Grand Prix. You could easily get the 25 you need on the back of that.
Reply 13
I'm not 100% certain how societies finances are calculated and there are plenty of people on here who know better than me (CosmicDolphin, DanCooper and DarkWhite for example).

At £25 a go I'd be up for doing a couple of events a term, but obviously I wouldn't be able to afford to do it every week.

To be honest, you'd probably have a lot more luck setting up a motor racing society and making Karting a social event rather than setting up a society specifically for Karting. There were more people in our JCR watching the Grand Prix's than there were for the Champions League games in our first year. So you could organise meets to watch races and try and organise a day out to the British Grand Prix. You could easily get the 25 you need on the back of that.

That, my friend, is a great idea! I am also a huge F1 fan (and a moto GP fan to an extent). I am surprised that a motorsports society doesn't already exist, but I am definitly up for that. and im guessing JCR is Junior Common Room? because F1 is now going to be on sky for half a season so would we be able to watch sky sports in the common room or somewhere? and yh we could make karting a social event, hold it like 3 times a year, one per semester.

I would love to have other people to watch F1 with as all my mates think its boring...

thnx a lot for that idea! so anyone else interested?
Reply 14
You can apply for grants from the SU for your society, so you could potentially subsidise these trips.
I'll watch with interest, might join if it takes off but can't commit to helping run it.
That, my friend, is a great idea! I am also a huge F1 fan (and a moto GP fan to an extent). I am surprised that a motorsports society doesn't already exist, but I am definitly up for that. and im guessing JCR is Junior Common Room? because F1 is now going to be on sky for half a season so would we be able to watch sky sports in the common room or somewhere? and yh we could make karting a social event, hold it like 3 times a year, one per semester.

I would love to have other people to watch F1 with as all my mates think its boring...

thnx a lot for that idea! so anyone else interested?

I have a passing interest in F1, so far as I'll watch it if it's on but I don't make an effort to watch it religiously. I'm willing to take on the prospective role of Vice President to help you get it set up and generate some interest if you want some help?

The JCR is indeed the Junior Common Room. I don't know if they all have Sky though. In my first year we had the box connected up to the TV but it was only working for a month or so of the time we was there. You might be able to organise something with a local pub though - especially where races clash with football. No-one is gonna turn away 25-30 paying punters on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Alternatively you could look at the possibility of hiring out the Den for the afternoon.
I completely agree.
I am not sure how society finances work either. You say what you want, submit it to the societies office, then some people somewhere say what you cant have money granted for, then scale down the rest of what you can have. For he event itself, you wouldnt be able to ask for any grant (unless you were applying for money for a karting instructor, or something like that), but you could ask for £20 for publicity for each event, and a certain % of transportation to and from it. (again, this is what you could ask for, but not necessarily what you will get)
When I was a soc pres, I applied for su grant twice for the 2 semesters, and we applied for around the same amount each semester. The first time we got around £12 , the second time we got over £200 . Exactly how these values were arrived at wasnt made clear to me.
You could look around for sponsorship from companies as well to use for your society (One day, Teach First will have the soul of every society). Also, by being a society, you could say to places "We have a group of X people willing to come Y times in the year. What discount can you give us?"
But welcome to Nottingham. There quite a few students who are willing to pay over £25 a week on "entertainment". (See post on this board asking if £40 a week is enough to live on for students living in catered halls).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Hmmm I would like to hear this...It would be interesting to hear some negatives about the SU.

On a side note, I didn't realise how complex starting a society could be. I thought it was: get 25 people, make em pay such and such for membership and then do stuff. which I guess is true for the societies that dont plan on doing many events that cost money, but all this admin and positions within the society (treasurer etc) and the grants/asking for money side of it makes it a little harder than I imagined. But I am still up for it!
Reply 18
I have a passing interest in F1, so far as I'll watch it if it's on but I don't make an effort to watch it religiously. I'm willing to take on the prospective role of Vice President to help you get it set up and generate some interest if you want some help?

The JCR is indeed the Junior Common Room. I don't know if they all have Sky though. In my first year we had the box connected up to the TV but it was only working for a month or so of the time we was there. You might be able to organise something with a local pub though - especially where races clash with football. No-one is gonna turn away 25-30 paying punters on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Alternatively you could look at the possibility of hiring out the Den for the afternoon.

What is the den? and does it cost much to hire it out?
Its not that complicated really. You dont have to apply for SU money, but its obviously useful if you do. Being on a committee you pick up new skillz, but its not overwhelming/ too difficult.

Are we "talkin' about more events in the Den" ??
The den is a bar on campus in portland building. It is free for societies to rent out (maybe only at certain times, not sure on that).

Id love to here you rant Dan. Either here, or in a pm. I want to know what I am getting myself into!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending