The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Roobz
hey! its a brilliant thing to have an international students thread! i've been looking for something like this for ages!
nad Good Luck people! Competition for international students in medicine is VERY Fierce! hope we all make it! :smile:

That was my very point and the intention of starting this thread... Thank you. That means alot to me :')

My motto being: Leave no man behind.. LET'S LEAVE NO INTERNATIONALS BEHIND :cool:
Reply 21
Original post by doctork2
That was my very point and the intention of starting this thread... Thank you. That means alot to me :')

My motto being: Leave no man behind.. LET'S LEAVE NO INTERNATIONALS BEHIND :cool:

lol Go You!
btw how many unis can we apply to through ucas? 4 or 5? and plz can everyone post their result (which uni they got in and details of their qualifications and voluntary work/work experience?) thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by Roobz
lol Go You!
btw how many unis can we apply to through ucas? 4 or 5? and plz can everyone post their result (which uni they got in and details of their qualifications and voluntary work/work experience?) thanks! :biggrin:

You can apply to 4 medical choices and one non-medical
Seeing that we are applying this year we won't know what uni we got into
Reply 23
hi guys, im from taiwan here~ im a graduate applicant though, anybody else applying as a graduate?
Reply 24
Original post by apple17
You are welcome. :smile:
If you don't mind me asking how did u score in UKCAT?

My UKCAT average is 580 which I know is not so good.
Reply 25
Great! Welcome to the thread!!
Where are you from? Where are you planning to apply? How'd you score on your ukcat? :biggrin:

I'm from Singapore :biggrin:. Planning to apply to Barts, Aberdeen, Soton and Leeds. Only scored 650 on the UKCAT :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by Ergo
I'm from Singapore :biggrin:. Planning to apply to Barts, Aberdeen, Soton and Leeds. Only scored 650 on the UKCAT :s-smilie:

I lived in singapore for 9 years as well~ are u taking your A lvl exams this year?
Reply 27
Original post by lmd90
I lived in singapore for 9 years as well~ are u taking your A lvl exams this year?

Hey! Yup, taking A levels this year (this November :s-smilie:)
Reply 28
Original post by cute_wish
My UKCAT average is 580 which I know is not so good.

Don't worry! Its not that bad. You can apply to Soton, Leeds, Aberdeen or non UKCAT heavy universities as long as u like the courses and have the grades.
Plus, i personally feel that UKCAT is a pot of luck, you get a good set of questions, and an awesome avg but with a bad set of questions, you are doomed.:angry:
Reply 29
Original post by apple17
Don't worry! Its not that bad. You can apply to Soton, Leeds, Aberdeen or non UKCAT heavy universities as long as u like the courses and have the grades.
Plus, i personally feel that UKCAT is a pot of luck, you get a good set of questions, and an awesome avg but with a bad set of questions, you are doomed.:angry:

Well ! I think UKCAT is not a good way to find out if a person is capable of getting into medicine because its not only about how well you understand the questions,its also about how well you manage your time .I think if the time limit was not so short ,then no one would get a lower score.Overall ,its not a difficult test.Most people start guessing rather than solving questions and getting the right answer.
Leeds and aberdeen are already in my list.For now the other two are nottingham and newcastle even though newcastle is risky with such a low ukcat.Im probably going to change this choice to something else.
Where are you going to apply?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Well ! I think UKCAT is not a good way to find out if a person if capable of getting into medicine because its not only about how well you understand the question,its also about how well you manage your time .I think if time limit was not so short ,then no one would get a lower score.Overall ,its not a difficult test.Only time is needed.Most people start guessing rather than solving questions and getting the right answer.
Leeds and aberdeen are already in my list.For now the other two are nottingham and newcastle even though newcastle is risky with such a low ukcat.Im probably going to change this choice to something else.

You shouldn't apply to Newcastle.. i know the cut-offs are lower for internationals, but you never know how the international cut-off scores can change from year-to-year... I would recommend you to choose 1 non-ukcat university just in case :smile:
Reply 31
You shouldn't apply to Newcastle.. i know the cut-offs are lower for internationals, but you never know how the international cut-off scores can change from year-to-year... I would recommend you to choose 1 non-ukcat university just in case :smile:

I know what you mean.Another problem with me is that I don't have a 4th AS which most unis want for 2012 entry.This limits my options further.So I cannot apply to a non-ukcat uni like liverpool .
Reply 32
Well ! I think UKCAT is not a good way to find out if a person is capable of getting into medicine because its not only about how well you understand the questions,its also about how well you manage your time .I think if the time limit was not so short ,then no one would get a lower score.Overall ,its not a difficult test.Most people start guessing rather than solving questions and getting the right answer.

I know, its like a guess and see if ur right kinda test.
I wouldn't recommend newcastle, maybe a non-ukcat like birmingham cuz they have loads of spots for international
Prob, Cardiff, KCL, Newcastle and Soton/St.A's. I am the most confused person ever. :P
Reply 33
Original post by apple17
I know, its like a guess and see if ur right kinda test.
I wouldn't recommend newcastle, maybe a non-ukcat like birmingham cuz they have loads of spots for international
Prob, Cardiff, KCL, Newcastle and Soton/St.A's. I am the most confused person ever. :P

Like I said in my post above that almost of all them want a 4 AS subject which I don't have and Birmingham needs 11 A* in GCSEs and I don't have that too.

I feel every prospective medical student thinks that they are the most confused person ever and its only because of the mental stress we have to go through for this whole application process.We sleep,eat and drink medicine.Thats how I feel these days *sigh* ...LOL
Reply 34
Like I said in my post above that almost of all them want a 4 AS subject which I don't have and Birmingham needs 11 A* in GCSEs and I don't have that too.

I feel every prospective medical student thinks that they are the most confused person ever and its only because of the mental stress we have to go through for this whole application process.We sleep,eat and drink medicine.Thats how I feel these days *sigh* ...LOL

Oh.i didn't do GCSE so I am selecting based on interview type+ib point+ ukcat cutoff.
Good luck, and yeah, really stressed about the lengthy process.
Reply 35
Original post by apple17
Oh.i didn't do GCSE so I am selecting based on interview type+ib point+ ukcat cutoff.
Good luck, and yeah, really stressed about the lengthy process.

Neither have I done GCSEs .I have done O levels instead which are equivalent to GCSEs. anyways ..thanks and best wishes for your application .. :smile:
Reply 36
Neither have I done GCSEs .I have done O levels instead which are equivalent to GCSEs. anyways ..thanks and best wishes for your application .. :smile:

Atleast u have done an equivalent in my country, we don't have such a system
Reply 37
How are you guys planning to finance your UK medical degree? It is likely that my parents will help fund the degree but I feel kind of guilty imposing such a huge financial burden on them :s-smilie:
Reply 38
I AM TOTALLY LOVING THIS THREAD. IT IS SO MUCH EASIER FOR INT'LS to NAVIGATE :smile:
Reply 39

You're more likely to get into Newcastle than Nottingham with a lower UKCAT score

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending