The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by xadmin
Anybody here who is from North America that is applying to Edinburgh for medicine?

Hi, xadmin. I'm American but I live overseas. I've applied to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Oxford and Southampton (I've been rejected by the last three.). Aberdeen is my last hope in the UK, as well as an alternative to the medical sciences program ( I w as offered to apply to it after my rejection at Edinburgh). After that, my plan B is Ireland. I've applied to TCD, UCD, NUIG and RCSI. Good luck with your application. Where have you applied to?

Regards,
Hisham.
Reply 921
Hisham, did you have to take the MCAT when you apply to Edinburgh?
Reply 922
Original post by xadmin
Hisham, did you have to take the MCAT when you apply to Edinburgh?

The mcat is for us and canadian schools mate no school in the uk looks at the mcat
Reply 923
Original post by .eXe
The mcat is for us and canadian schools mate no school in the uk looks at the mcat

That's actually only partially correct. Some UK schools use MCAT scores for international graduates, but very few. It's generally not required but can substitute other admissions tests.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 924
Hi everyone. To avoid confusion, I didn't take the MCAT as I'm still in school and I'm applying for undergraduate entry, not graduate.
Hi! Any of you applied to Leeds?
Original post by applicant5
Hi! Any of you applied to Leeds?

yep i have, but im an international applicant :smile:
Have any of u guys got any offers yet?

Just got one from Newcastle :smile:

Only King's.
Reply 930
I keep refreshing my inbox every 10 minutes to see if there are any university replies. fml. I really want an offer so bad :frown:
Reply 931
Got an offer for Durham!!!
Original post by CdnBrad
Got an offer for Durham!!!

hey, congrats!
Reply 933
does anyone know if glasgow invites applicants to interviews during march for medicine ?
Reply 934
Original post by Metastasis
Just got one from Newcastle :smile:

Hey! Same here :biggrin:
deciding between trinity college dublin or newcastle university-durham (queens campus)

really tough decision to make, could really get some advice on this.

i havent heard great things about trinity's med program (correct me if i'm wrong!, please, its difficult to get an updated comment on it) but durham seem to offer a great course, the overall medic course just seems more interesting and it looks like they're really putting in effort to find new ways to teach medicine.

trinity does have the advantage of being in a great city. i've had relatives who studied in dublin who were all very happy to be studying in dublin, said it was a pleasant city to be in. i've been to stockton and although i thought the place was alright, pretty... meh, but alright. i dont think queens campus could give me that whole university experience i guess.

i'm just really conflicted right now.

and dublin would definitely cost more than durham.

it'd be really great to hear some opinions on this. thanks TSR!
Reply 936
Original post by caramelorchoc
deciding between trinity college dublin or newcastle university-durham (queens campus)

i havent heard great things about trinity's med program (correct me if i'm wrong!, please, its difficult to get an updated comment on it) but durham seem to offer a great course, the overall medic course just seems more interesting and it looks like they're really putting in effort to find new ways to teach medicine.

trinity does have the advantage of being in a great city. i've had relatives who studied in dublin who were all very happy to be studying in dublin, said it was a pleasant city to be in. i've been to stockton and although i thought the place was alright, pretty... meh, but alright. i dont think queens campus could give me that whole university experience i guess.

UK > ireland when it comes to medicine
Original post by caramelorchoc

I think you'd be better off with a UK degree if you plan on working outside the UK rather than an Irish degree, just in terms of recognition.
Original post by llamelvin
Hey! Same here :biggrin:

Grats! But which one will you be firming?
Reply 939
Got 3 offers... This must be my year :smile: Haven't been this happy since I supposidly saw "Santa" when I was 5.

Can't really decide on which school to firm. Soton is definatley on the top of my list, but hm....

Quick Reply

Latest