Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: For Internationals ONLY - What was your average UKCAT score?
    500 or lower
    0%
    501-549
    3.62%
    550-599
    8.70%
    600-649
    22.46%
    650-699
    31.16%
    700-749
    19.57%
    750-799
    9.42%
    800 or higher
    5.07%

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslakaal)
    Just to help out a bit (I applied, got pooled, then got rejected meh. King's it is for me ):

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...tion2/2_6.html
    Scroll down to "Overseas Students"

If I may make a recommendation, applying to Group II may help. There is one more place available for overseas students in group II than in Group one (for the explanation, read through the paragraph)

Basically speaking, you will be considered with other applicants within your own group. Only during pooling will you be compared across all other groups. So your college choice won't really matter as much as your Group choice will.

Just throwing my two cents out there.
    Oh, thanks. hmm this is quite favourable since i was hoping to apply at Downing..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, one quick question. After you are accepted into a medical school do they ask you to get all your document's certified(even if you gave them original transcripts)? So like the following:

1) highschool transcript
    2) university transcript
    3) passport
    4) financial information to demonstrate that you are able to fund your studies.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nivea)
    Hey guys, one quick question. After you are accepted into a medical school do they ask you to get all your document's certified(even if you gave them original transcripts)? So like the following:

1) highschool transcript
    2) university transcript
    3) passport
    That is dependant on the university. You should contact the universities directly to confirm. However, proof of ID is normally required during registration and financial information too, if you are applying for funding.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nivea)

1) highschool transcript
    2) university transcript
    3) passport
    I don't think you should give out original certificates in case they misplace it. From my own experience, sending them certified true copies of my certificates was sufficient for the offer to turn unconditional.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ergo)
    I don't think you should give out original certificates in case they misplace it. From my own experience, sending them certified true copies of my certificates was sufficient for the offer to turn unconditional.
    Ergo! So which school did you pick in the end?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metastasis)
    Ergo! So which school did you pick in the end?
    Going to NUS Oh well, can still go to UK for my electives
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ergo)
    Going to NUS Oh well, can still go to UK for my electives
    Congrats! NUS didn't give me a second interview lol.

I haven't taken it yet. They're still debating on whether Singaporean students need to take it or not... Till then, lol. All the best for NTU!
    I'll be taking mine next Saturday, hopefully all goes well.

I hope they reach a decision soon for you(and that it turns out to be a no). If it turns out that you need the IELTs, kind of a rush to book the test as most of the test dates are full already.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llamelvin)
    I'll be taking mine next Saturday, hopefully all goes well.

I hope they reach a decision soon for you(and that it turns out to be a no). If it turns out that you need the IELTs, kind of a rush to book the test as most of the test dates are full already.
    It's waived for me All the best for yours!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me for posting in the middle of the thread, but do any UK graduate entry programs accept the MCAT instead of the UKCAT/BMAT for international students?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bc2m)
    Forgive me for posting in the middle of the thread, but do any UK graduate entry programs accept the MCAT instead of the UKCAT/BMAT for international students?
    I think Warwick does but I'm not 100%, most don't though because they look at the UKCAT
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    I think Warwick does but I'm not 100%, most don't though because they look at the UKCAT
    Interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's waived for me All the best for yours!
    Heh thanks. I must say it was a lot easier than expected. I just hope the results are good too lol.

Maybe I should email them asking to waive mine too, then I need not worry about any section falling short of the 7 band lol.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Heh thanks. I must say it was a lot easier than expected. I just hope the results are good too lol.

Maybe I should email them asking to waive mine too, then I need not worry about any section falling short of the 7 band lol.
    Don't think you will fall short! I heard it's really easy haha you'll do fine. So Glasgow for you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't think you will fall short! I heard it's really easy haha you'll do fine. So Glasgow for you?
    Yeap. I think I'd like the course better there. I'm more of an independent learner so I think I'll be able to cope with the PBL orientated course.

What made you decide on Newcastle btw?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeap. I think I'd like the course better there. I'm more of an independent learner so I think I'll be able to cope with the PBL orientated course.

What made you decide on Newcastle btw?
    Pragmatically, it's cheap(er compared to Aberdeen). Also, Newcastle's a diverse city with a lot of students and I liked it when I was there. The course is more lecture-based so I think I will be able to cope with that? PBL is not really independent but more of working in a group to exchange ideas etc. , so hopefully you have good group members
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pragmatically, it's cheap(er compared to Aberdeen). Also, Newcastle's a diverse city with a lot of students and I liked it when I was there. The course is more lecture-based so I think I will be able to cope with that? PBL is not really independent but more of working in a group to exchange ideas etc. , so hopefully you have good group members

Listening: 8.5
    Reading: 8.5
    Writing: 8.5
    Speaking: 7.0
    Overall: 8.0
    Looks like I just scrapped my speaking sadly. But that being said I've fulfilled all my conditions, just need to send all my results over.

I didn't know you went overseas for your interviews, thought you'd have gone for the regional interviews in SG/Msia lol.

Glasgow(flat fee) is effectively S$44k more expensive then Newcastle(pre-clinical/clinical) in school fees the last I checked. Hopefully the pound doesn't rise much over the next six years, if not the pinch will be even harder. How are you funding your degree btw, if you don't mind me asking?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Listening: 8.5
    Reading: 8.5
    Writing: 8.5
    Speaking: 7.0
    Overall: 8.0
    These are your IELTS scores? If yes, well done! How did you score so high -practice, expert techniques? Was it your first time?

I did my IELTS first time last month and got an overall 7.0 band score - not very good.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M Kh)
    These are your IELTS scores? If yes, well done! How did you score so high -practice, expert techniques? Was it your first time?

I did my IELTS first time last month and got an overall 7.0 band score - not very good.
    Is IELTS the English language test? Do UK schools require it for some internationals?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Is IELTS the English language test? Do UK schools require it for some internationals?
    Yes, here's a link you might find helpful: http://www.ielts.org/

Yes, I believe they require it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Some unis require it if you didn't come from an English-major country (and if you didn't formally study English)

For example, I did GCSE Egnlish, so I'm fine, but if you didn't, TOEFL can be a substitute for doing IELTS more often than not.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2013
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.