The Student Room Group

Advice? Getting drunk on the cheap?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by onlyskin
Port, £6 a bottle, tastes like alcoholic Ribena. Job done.

hmmm might have to lose the wine one night and give this a try :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by fml
hmmm might have to lose the wine one night and give this a try :biggrin:

Do it! You'll never go back, I can't drink red wine and I love port. I'm on a mission to spread the word haha :smile:
Reply 23
Listerine is 27% abv, and it gives you fresh breath !
Pour it in your eyeballs or grow some breasts.
Reply 25
I just buy cheap bottles of wine, usually rose at £3.99 a bottle. Other people would get a tesco value etc bottle of vodka and mix it with basic lemonade/coke. Or the people who just didn't care would get a 2 litre bottle of cider for about £3 a go.
Reply 26
Cider is much cheaper than spirits to get drunk on, can't stand the stuff personally. My brother is a care worker for alcoholics and it's literally all they drink, in particular this classy brand which can be bought for 69p a can, which is 18.4 pence per unit of alcohol

Reply 27
I have a pretty damn good way off getting drunk cheaply, Every time i'm in tescos i do a look about to see what is on offer, then whatever is great value a stock up on

Example is 3 weeks ago any 6 bottles of wine were 25% off, so i went for the 2 bottles for £5 deal as well, and so got 6 bottles for like £11

Also i found a glitch in the computers at tesco which was instead of 3 crates of Corona being £25 they were coming up as £11 on the self serve machines, so I bought 12 crates of it for uni, should last me a while
Reply 28
Wine...or find your local Wetherspoons when you go out, cheap alcohol at its best :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by That Bearded Man
How about a bottle of Jaeger?

A mate and I usually go halves on a bottle of Jager.
You get about 8-9 Jagerbombs each, for about £7 each if you split the costs, so for pre-drinking it's pretty decent as it's not too expensive, and will get you well on the way to being drunk.
A few times in my shameful first year of uni we would buy a big bottle of vodka to share and some lambrini as a mixer. Taste is a bit iffy, might want to add a little squash or lemonade but it was a demon in terms of getting you drunk. Or sometimes (if we were feeling classy) it would own brand archers or malibu or whatever takes your fancy. Basically, something sweet but alcoholic to mix with awful paint stripper vodka. But I do concur with everyone else, wine is the best!! xx
Reply 31
How about a bottle of Jaeger?

Much, much better - but thought you were on a budget?
Original post by Jono404
Cider is much cheaper than spirits to get drunk on, can't stand the stuff personally. My brother is a care worker for alcoholics and it's literally all they drink, in particular this classy brand which can be bought for 69p a can, which is 18.4 pence per unit of alcohol

I used to like cider until I discovered what happens when you get drunk from it.

At first: :banana: Then: :dong: Following that: :cry2: Afterwards::puke:

And finally: :ashamed:

Haven't touched the stuff for nearly 4 years.
Rum? Only ever had it once and it was god awful, Vat 19's rum isn't it?

Some rum is good, some is bad. If in doubt, just mix it with coke until you can hardly taste it.

If you really want to blow your head off with a minimal amount of drinking involved, thus saving money, try and get some of this stuff vv

80%, puts hairs on your chest, and probably strips paint too.
Original post by ta duck
I just buy cheap bottles of wine, usually rose at £3.99 a bottle. Other people would get a tesco value etc bottle of vodka and mix it with basic lemonade/coke. Or the people who just didn't care would get a 2 litre bottle of cider for about £3 a go.

I do all of those things as a graduate depending on my mood.

Though I'm swaying as a wino at present. Mmmm White Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Shiraz, Rioja, :coma:
Reply 35
Original post by HarveyCanis
I used to like cider until I discovered what happens when you get drunk from it.

At first: :banana: Then: :dong: Following that: :cry2: Afterwards::puke:

And finally: :ashamed:

Haven't touched the stuff for nearly 4 years.

Yeah when I was about 14/15 I had 2 of those massive White Lightning bottles, passed out and vommed repeatedly while working on the 2nd and my mates had to get my mum to come and pick me up haha.

Just the smell of the stuff gives me Vietnam style flashbacks now
2 bottles of wine for £5 from the local corner shop is my cheap drinks deal. Cheap and nasty but still rather tasty wine is a sure route to being drunk.
Reply 37
As well as cheap alcohol, I find if I've gone for a run or to the gym, bam any alcohol hits me hard. So that is always an option you could try....exercise hard (also helps counter act sheer number of empty calories in alcohol), don't eat a huge meal, and then even better use alcopop as a mixer....ahhh the nights where I've used smirnoff ice as a mixer for gin.
I think wine or cider is generally the winner. But it's not just cost.

All of this cheap stuff is pretty horrible so you have to keep in mind you have to drink it.

Wine is horrible to down quickly. Cider is much better as it just tastes like appletiser with a distinct hint of vomit and goes down smooth.

But ultimately vodka or gin is usually the best. It can be mixed with anything (unlike whiskey or dark spirits). If you are a pro you simply drink a lot of it neat in one go and then have a chaser. The chance you will immediately vomit is quite high but if you don't you can just drink coke for the next hour because you are already well on your way to be wasted.

You can also stretch out a bottle of vodka much more.

Good luck.
Reply 39
Supermarket own brand vodka, it's ****ing petrol but you get smashed from it.

Quick Reply

Latest