The Student Room Group
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website

Anybody appying to New College Of the Humanities?

Scroll to see replies

Just got a phone call regarding the accommodation, apparently the upper scale accommodation (which sounds amazing) will be around £270/week, whilst the lower scale accommodation (which sounds quite poor) would be around £150 a week...

Just keeping you all updated
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website
Reply 101
Original post by Slovebeach
Just got a phone call regarding the accommodation, apparently the upper scale accommodation (which sounds amazing) will be around £270/week, whilst the lower scale accommodation (which sounds quite poor) would be around £150 a week...

Seriously?:lolwut: I mean obviously it's London, and it's probably fairly central as well, but that's just extortionate. Even £150 isn't exactly cheap.
Reply 102
Original post by hobnob
Seriously?:lolwut: I mean obviously it's London, and it's probably fairly central as well, but that's just extortionate. Even £150 isn't exactly cheap.

:ditto:

I believe the Beastie Boys were referring to the New College of the Humanities when they rapped: -

"Money makin' money money makin'
Super disco disco breakin'
Money makin' money money makin'
Super disco disco breakin'"

(c) Beeastie Boys/Capitol Records. 1998.

Or perhaps not as the song predates NCOH by over a decade.....

I think the accomodation at my university is extortionately priced, at about £150 a week, but at least it's a collegiate system and you have access to a college library, gym, bar and recreational room among other things.
Reply 103

:eek4:

Mine is £140 and it's a shared house and I still can't stop bitching about it.
Reply 104
Original post by nulli tertius

Imperial College has been lost. Wye College was merged into Imperial and closed. New College was closed. Bedford, Westfield, Queen Elizabeth, Chelsea and the School of Slavonic and East European Studies have all merged. The medical schools have all been reorganised.

Sorry?
Reply 105
Original post by kka25
Sorry?

Imperial left the University of London.
Reply 106

Did they give you any details about the £150 one based on which you said it sounds quite poor ?
Reply 107
Original post by MWM
Did they give you any details about the £150 one based on which you said it sounds quite poor ?

Presumably the description included words like 'small', 'basic', 'simple' or 'rat-infested'.
Original post by MWM

Shared kitchen and bathroom, no common room... That's about it
Reply 109
How did peoples interviews go over there ? I would like to hear from you all please.
Reply 110
How did people find it ?
Reply 111
Interviewed for Economics and was made an offer for scholarship place. The process involved:

1. Q&A with the staff at NCH. Basically they discuss the idea's for the college, location of the campus, what they're going to do to make up for their lack of history in order to make their students competitive. Opportunities the students will have if they choose to study there.

2. Reading an excerpt of text for discussion during the interview with 2 members of staff typically one from the course you've chosen and one from the contextual course. In my case as Sir Partha (Econ prof) was out of the country, I was interviewed by a history and a philosophy lecturer.

3. Math test.

I found the discussion/interview pretty tough. I was comfortable discussing the economics idea's and what I thought the implications were but in terms of the philosophy questions I pretty much sucked but I guess it went better then I thought as I was made an offer....

Have you applied MWM?

Has anyone else recieved any offer's? Any other econ offer's?....

Original post by MWM
How did people find it ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Variable

Do you think you'll go?

Also, where IS the location? I heard a rumor it would be Bloomsbury making it right next to UCL but I can't see anything on the website about it.
Reply 113

Had the same phone call asking for my opinion in regards to accomodation. The upeer scale I was quoted was £300pw with the lower being £150pw.

I was shocked at the £300pw quote and just said it was out of my price range. I told them that I wasn't expecting to live in luxury and that the basic accom for £150pw was the max I'd be willing to pay.

Hey if you can afford it go for it but for me its too expensive, If I paid that much I'd never be able to afford to go out and would become a hermit living in the room only to emerge for lectures...

I think the lower end of accomodation is the standard uni halls so for me, it'll do.

DO you know who will interview you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114
Hmm well I need to wait and see what my other offer's are before I decide on my first choice but its in a strong position as I wouldn't pay any fees and the quality of the teaching looks like it will be high.

Yeah they have purchased buildings in Bloomsbury, if I remember correctly they will be in Befored square near the NYU building. I think it was the old Bedford College building which they have purchased but I can't recall exactly as my interview was back in late Sept...

Yeah I think UCL is round the corner from where its campus will be.

Have you applied?

Original post by dirtyoldriver
Do you think you'll go?

Also, where IS the location? I heard a rumor it would be Bloomsbury making it right next to UCL but I can't see anything on the website about it.

Hmm well I need to wait and see what my other offer's are before I decide on my first choice but its in a strong position as I wouldn't pay any fees and the quality of the teaching looks like it will be high.

Yeah they have purchased buildings in Bloomsbury, if I remember correctly they will be in Befored square near the NYU building. I think it was the old Bedford College building which they have purchased but I can't recall exactly as my interview was back in late Sept...

Yeah I think UCL is round the corner from where its campus will be.

Have you applied?

Nope, already at uni - UCL which is why I was wondering about the location.

I do wonder about the social aspect of this uni. Obviously nobody can judge as yet but it's so new and small the idea of it having a fully-functioning union is odd, unless you just shared ULU which would be basically down the road.

Overall I still don't really agree with the concept and there are going to be so few people who are able to apply without assisted places that I suspect lower-calibre students will get in undeservedly just because they have the money to do so, and the uni needs to fill up.
Reply 116
Variable,
Was your interview was with Dr Suzannah Lipscomb and Dr Naomi Goulder ?
How did you get told of your offer via email or post ?
How did they asses you for a scholarship (nil fees right ?) and were you informed of the scholarship via mail or post ?
You had a maths test at the econ interview ? I know someone who had an interview for econ but didn't do any maths test, I think he has a offer now.
Was what the maths test like ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 117
The upeer scale I was quoted was £300pw

Had the same phone call asking for my opinion in regards to accomodation. The upeer scale I was quoted was £300pw with the lower being £150pw.

WHAT

I paid £97 a week for my first year in undergraduate for ensuite accommodation with all the trimmings (oop north admittedly). What do you get for £300 a week?!?! That's more than my monthly rent!!!

And lol at the economics professor being out of place for the interviews... that's what your whole academic year will be like.

I was shocked at the £300pw quote and just said it was out of my price range. I told them that I wasn't expecting to live in luxury and that the basic accom for £150pw was the max I'd be willing to pay.

Hey if you can afford it go for it but for me its too expensive, If I paid that much I'd never be able to afford to go out and would become a hermit living in the room only to emerge for lectures...

I think the lower end of accomodation is the standard uni halls so for me, it'll do.

DO you know who will interview you?

I can in no way afford the nice rooms. Based on the prices there chances are I'll be living at my uncle's house in Wandsworth rather than actually in student accom which makes me very very sad.

I'm being interviewed by probably the same lecturers you were, as I've applied for History with Philosophy (Lipscomb and Goulder).

Interview on monday, will let (the thread) know how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest