The Student Room Group

Applying to Irish universities with A levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Could anyone tell me what this is equal to in terms of GCSE/GCE requirements?

"2C3s (Hons) + 4D3s (Ord) to include
English or another language"

What does this mean? Do i need A-Level English?
Reply 21
Original post by McKenzie-
Could anyone tell me what this is equal to in terms of GCSE/GCE requirements?

"2C3s (Hons) + 4D3s (Ord) to include
English or another language"

What does this mean? Do i need A-Level English?

That looks like the baseline cut off point for ALL Irish University courses for Irish Leaving Cert students. To go to University as an Irish student in Ireland you need to meet basic requirements. You need 6 passes, usually to include English, Irish, Maths, a Science and a European language.

I'd imagine you won't need English as long as it's not an English related course. Best drop the admissions tutor an email though.
Irish students have to present English and a language- in most unis we have to present Irish, English AND a third language as all of these subjects along with maths are compulsory in schools.

You need to look at UK requirements, not Irish ones.

This should help: http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/newsite/requirements/matriculation/gcse/

You need English Maths and a language other than English to GCSE level at least.
Reply 23
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Irish students have to present English and a language- in most unis we have to present Irish, English AND a third language as all of these subjects along with maths are compulsory in schools.

You need to look at UK requirements, not Irish ones.

This should help: http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/newsite/requirements/matriculation/gcse/

You need English Maths and a language other than English to GCSE level at least.

Aw man, really? That is bull. I didn't do another language at GCSE.. i fit all other requirements but an additional language at GCSE. That sucks! Does this go for all Irish Uni's or just Trinity?
Aw man, FML.

Wait. Just read this on the Uni's site that im considering.
"A-Levels/GCSE
Applicants must obtain a minimum of four GCSE passes at grade C to include Maths and English plus two A-level passes at grade C or higher."

This means no extra language.. right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Aw man, really? That is bull. I didn't do another language at GCSE.. i fit all other requirements but an additional language at GCSE. That sucks! Does this go for all Irish Uni's or just Trinity?
Aw man, FML.

It's not bull. ALL Irish students are taking Irish, English and French (it's usually French) to school-leaving exams- age of 17/18, they're compulsory. That's why they ask, they can't ask for them at A-Level because you do too few subjects to compare, with no compulsory ones.

It goes for all unis here. Is there any chance you can take a language externally if you really want to go to uni here? Did you ever study another language? I find it amazing UK students go through secondary education with the option of not doing one- it seems mad.
Reply 25
It's not bull. ALL Irish students are taking Irish, English and French (it's usually French) to school-leaving exams- age of 17/18, they're compulsory. That's why they ask, they can't ask for them at A-Level because you do too few subjects to compare, with no compulsory ones.

It goes for all unis here. Is there any chance you can take a language externally if you really want to go to uni here? Did you ever study another language? I find it amazing UK students go through secondary education with the option of not doing one- it seems mad.

Well, technically i got a D in my French GCSE. But that's a fail, right? I never bothered repeating because i passed the others and never expected to encounter this sort of problem 2 years down the line.

I do find it very silly though. You require to speak french or spanish at GCSE etc to study a course in Journalism or Film. Maybe if i was trying to do Tourism, or a language-specific course but not them two.
Reply 26
I find it astounding that someone can fail a language at GCSE, considering how lenient the mark schemes are
Reply 27
Original post by watermelon_juice

Original post by watermelon_juice
Getting into University is much, much harder than the UK. A lot of Irish people go to the UK for university because of this.

I totally disagree! Most Irish people who go to the UK were accepted onto a course here. The reference/ personal statement/ predicted grades process makes applying to the UK very difficult for us. The CAO is all done automatically. As for it being difficult to get into uni here, it's no different than for you guys- Yes, it's hard to get into Trinity, just as it's hard to get into Bristol or any other similiar university in the UK but obviously it's easier to get into lower ranked universities, or an institute of technology (which is similiar to the universities in the UK that used to be technical schools or whatever you call them)- it works on a supply/ demand basis.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
you should go to oxbridge with 560 points.
Reply 29
Trinity are nuts! They wont accept chemistry and physics together for some reason, I'm doing Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths so i cant apply
Reply 30
Original post by maemg

Original post by maemg
Trinity are nuts! They wont accept chemistry and physics together for some reason, I'm doing Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths so i cant apply

:eek: Where did you read that? And why can't you apply with Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths?
Reply 31
In their medicine prospectus its so stupid
Reply 32
Are you sure? I've plenty of friends who went to Trinity with Maths, Physics and Chemistry- it can only be a benefit. I think you're perhaps reading it wrong? :s-smilie:
Reply 33
Have you read it? Maybe I am, or maybe its just a recent thing they've brought in this year, you should take a look at it.
Reply 34
Original post by maemg

Original post by maemg
Have you read it? Maybe I am, or maybe its just a recent thing they've brought in this year, you should take a look at it.

Yeah I've looked at it before! Yeah maybe, or it might vary for A- Levels! There's also this subject called "Chemistry/ Physics" which is like a combination of the two and it can't be combined with Physics or Chemistry for entry requirements (because they're so similiar) so maybe that's the confusion!
You cannot use the subject Chemistry/Physics combined if you're also going to use one or the other by themselves, as obviously that would be unfair. That rule stands for Irish students. HOWEVER presenting Physics and Chemistry as two seperate subjects is fine. They're just protecting from an unfair crossover of subjects.

McKenzie- I don't know whether a D is okay, a D is a pass grade for us but I don't know if it's a pass or fail for you. You need to have passed it anyway. As I said before, it's not stupid. You're competing against people who have studied Irish, English, Maths and French as compulsory subjects for the last two years of school along with 3 others for Leaving Cert, and the same 4 subjects again with 6 others for Junior Cert before that. So it's only fair that you present English, Maths and a language at some level when you're up against people doing those subjects for 5/6 years.
Reply 36
Original post by La_Crosse
I find it astounding that someone can fail a language at GCSE, considering how lenient the mark schemes are

Matter of opinion. Some people are good at certain subjects others aren't. Very inappropriate statement. I failed mine on the basis of the teacher was terrible so i didn't concentrate/learn or even revise when it came to the exam. I guess you could say i gave up on it. Who expects that 2 years down the line that it is required for Uni.
Reply 37
Matter of opinion. Some people are good at certain subjects others aren't. Very inappropriate statement. I failed mine on the basis of the teacher was terrible so i didn't concentrate/learn or even revise when it came to the exam. I guess you could say i gave up on it. Who expects that 2 years down the line that it is required for Uni.

Well, If you look at what universities consider good hard subjects, then languages are one of them. Even with a terrible teacher a C should be easy to attain.
Reply 38
You cannot use the subject Chemistry/Physics combined if you're also going to use one or the other by themselves, as obviously that would be unfair. That rule stands for Irish students. HOWEVER presenting Physics and Chemistry as two seperate subjects is fine. They're just protecting from an unfair crossover of subjects.

McKenzie- I don't know whether a D is okay, a D is a pass grade for us but I don't know if it's a pass or fail for you. You need to have passed it anyway. As I said before, it's not stupid. You're competing against people who have studied Irish, English, Maths and French as compulsory subjects for the last two years of school along with 3 others for Leaving Cert, and the same 4 subjects again with 6 others for Junior Cert before that. So it's only fair that you present English, Maths and a language at some level when you're up against people doing those subjects for 5/6 years.

I've never heard of a chemistry/physics crossover subject, to me its sounds a bit stupid as they're core subjects! :s-smilie:
Reply 39
How much higher is the living cost in Ireland compared to England. What I'm sort of asking is that if I go to Ireland and pay the 2000 euro fees, will the living costs increase the cost of a degree past the cost of the same degree in England?

Quick Reply

Latest