Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

STD/chlamydia in throat test

Announcements Posted on

If a guy gives another guy unprotected oral, the the "recipient" has chlamydia/gonorrhoea, will it show up in a urine test? I know the incubation period is 2-6 weeks, but since this will only affect the throat, will it show up in a urine test? Or do these STDs spread?

Also, are the chances of catching these STDs quite high for unprotected oral?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think this is throat swab time, sorry. Do a search for 'bashh chlamydia testing guidelines'.

The last question is something that awaits ethics committees prepared to allow research involving some deeply unethical stuff, but it is noticeable the BASHH guidelines recommending not doing throat swabs for women other than sex workers.

(Original post by unprinted)
    I think this is throat swab time, sorry. Do a search for 'bashh chlamydia testing guidelines'.

The last question is something that awaits ethics committees prepared to allow research involving some deeply unethical stuff, but it is noticeable the BASHH guidelines recommending not doing throat swabs for women other than sex workers.
    Really?! I can't believe that I can't find info on this question. I even ordered a postal testing kit (which was free) but I am pretty sure it asks for a urine sample.

Anyone else know?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go to a sexual health clinic they are trained to deal with all aspects of STDs whether its from oral or just sex.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Really?! I can't believe that I can't find info on this question. I even ordered a postal testing kit (which was free) but I am pretty sure it asks for a urine sample.
    For the chances, you need to find an ethics committee prepared to clear a study which takes a group of people known not to have chlamydia / gonorrhoea, have them give oral (and do nothing else) with people known to have it, and then test to see how many have caught it. You need to find quite a few people for the study, because the chances could be quite low / depend on various factors, and ideally you'd like them to not do other stuff with anyone for several months so the study can track them for that long. All this won't be cheap, so you'll need to find someone prepared to pay for it. Good luck on all counts

I suspect the logic is that someone with either in their throat probably has it in their genitals too, and that's much easier all round to test for. The cost of doing throat swabs for everyone will outweigh the relatively small number of extra infections it picks up, and no-one's going to start giving out throat swabs for self-testing.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2011
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.