The Student Room Group

Theology/Religious Studies Applicants 2012

Hey Everyone!

Well, I'd noticed other threads like this appearing on other subject forums, so thought I'd start my own for the Theology applicants of 2012!

How are we all getting on with personal statements and deciding on which unis we want to apply to? Did we all do well in our results? :smile:

I'll introduce myself:
I'm Jen, I want to study Theology, or Theology & Religious Studies (depending on the university) at... Oxford :confused:, Exeter, Nottingham, Leeds and Lancaster. My AS grades were ABBC... however I hope to re-sit in the January and achieve AAA :biggrin:

Still got a hard task of writing my personal statement... anyone got any ideas for reading? At the moment I'm reading The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Brian Davies' An Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion... anymore suggestions?

Best Wishes - Jen :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya, I'm sorta with you in terms of, I could be applying to do theology (or joint with history or just history!) and I'm doing my A2 this year but I'm having a gap year and not actually applying this year. I feel like I want to apply with my final grades and I also want this year to help me decide exactly what it is I want to study at uni.

I'm in the middle of reading 'Religion, Spirituality and the Near-Death Experience' by Mark Fox beacuase thats part of one of the topics we did at the start of our A2 course in July which I really enjoyed. Need to finish it off though, as I've got a lot of reading I need to catch up on!
Reply 2
am thinking of studying religious studies in university; in depth Islamic studies. how did u find R.S A level and any advise!
Original post by noor momo
am thinking of studying religious studies in university; in depth Islamic studies. how did u find R.S A level and any advise!

Brilliant! You can study Theology & Arabic Studies at Exeter University :biggrin: I found my R.S. A level a lot of fun, but at the same time a lot of hard work!

Do you know what you are studying for AS/A2?
I'll give you advice however based on what I studied at AS...

I would suggest that, if you're doing a Philosophy based A-level RS course (most are these days) that you revise your philosophers well, and try to quote them in the exam. I would recommend putting 2 quotes in an RS essay - one at the start and the other to conclude - and, in your conclusion, always give your own personal opinion!

I also studied Islam at A-level, try and read introductions such as 'Islam: A Very Short Introduction' and 'Teach Yourself Islam An Introduction', as these are great to get you started and are very clear and useful when writing essays. Try also if you can to quote the Qur'an/Bible/Muslim and Christian Scholars (depending on what religions you are studying!)

Best of Luck!!
Original post by Angelicus

Original post by Angelicus
Hiya, I'm sorta with you in terms of, I could be applying to do theology (or joint with history or just history!) and I'm doing my A2 this year but I'm having a gap year and not actually applying this year. I feel like I want to apply with my final grades and I also want this year to help me decide exactly what it is I want to study at uni.

I'm in the middle of reading 'Religion, Spirituality and the Near-Death Experience' by Mark Fox beacuase thats part of one of the topics we did at the start of our A2 course in July which I really enjoyed. Need to finish it off though, as I've got a lot of reading I need to catch up on!

I think a gap year is a sensible idea to think things through, and especially with the financial aspect of university as well, earning experience or money as part of working through a gap year is really useful! I've not heard of Mark Fox, but we're also studying Life After Death as part of our A2 course next year - so it could be useful! What else are you reading?

Good luck with the gap year! What are you planning to do in that year? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by The.Night.Watch.Woman
Brilliant! You can study Theology & Arabic Studies at Exeter University :biggrin: I found my R.S. A level a lot of fun, but at the same time a lot of hard work!

Do you know what you are studying for AS/A2?
I'll give you advice however based on what I studied at AS...

I would suggest that, if you're doing a Philosophy based A-level RS course (most are these days) that you revise your philosophers well, and try to quote them in the exam. I would recommend putting 2 quotes in an RS essay - one at the start and the other to conclude - and, in your conclusion, always give your own personal opinion!

I also studied Islam at A-level, try and read introductions such as 'Islam: A Very Short Introduction' and 'Teach Yourself Islam An Introduction', as these are great to get you started and are very clear and useful when writing essays. Try also if you can to quote the Qur'an/Bible/Muslim and Christian Scholars (depending on what religions you are studying!)

Best of Luck!!

thanks; and yes i could combine R.S and Arabic although my Arabic is not up to scratch. Also am thinking of becoming a scholar in Kuwait but that's just a dream kno as i have my A level to SMASH :smile:
Reply 6
Hey :smile: I really of applying to do RS but I'm not really sure my A level marks will be ok? I got BB in my AS in R.S (Ethics and Philosophy) my other subjects are English and Music. I'm predicted B in RS overall but is that good enough?
Original post by MissZ

Original post by MissZ
Hey :smile: I really of applying to do RS but I'm not really sure my A level marks will be ok? I got BB in my AS in R.S (Ethics and Philosophy) my other subjects are English and Music. I'm predicted B in RS overall but is that good enough?

Hey :smile: I've only got a B in RS this year too! Mine were AC which overall averaged to a B - I'm attempting a re-sit of the C module once I get the paper back (I've recalled it to see where I went wrong). However, my RE teacher got a B in her RS paper apparently, and she got into Durham Uni! So, I don't think getting Bs is anything to be ashamed of at all :smile: What English do you do? Lit or Lang? :smile: I'm doing Lit at the mo
Reply 8
WOW Miss Z- you took the same A levels as me! Lol! good choices. For reading i'd recommend Richard Dawkins' selfish gene. that's a good way to get your head around some stuff! And get the Folens philosophy of religion and introduction to ethics books if you havent already. They save your life!!! I'm starting R.S at uni next week :smile: xx
Reply 9
Original post by The.Night.Watch.Woman
X

Original post by MissZ
X

Hello everyone :smile:

I'm applying for Theology (& Religious Studies) this year too! There doesn't seem to be that many of us, does there!!

I've finished my A Levels already, and I'm on a gap year at the moment...(Thankfully the fee increases don't apply to welsh students this year!) I'm currently going through the horrible process of writing a personal statement!! What kind of stuff is everyone else writing?

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, KCL and Birmingham :smile:

I haven't actually studied Religious Studies/Philosophy and Ethics or anything at A Level. What kind of stuff did you guys learn about?
Where is everyone? :redface:
Reply 11
Original post by ViennaWaits
Hello everyone :smile:

I'm applying for Theology (& Religious Studies) this year too! There doesn't seem to be that many of us, does there!!

I've finished my A Levels already, and I'm on a gap year at the moment...(Thankfully the fee increases don't apply to welsh students this year!) I'm currently going through the horrible process of writing a personal statement!! What kind of stuff is everyone else writing?

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, KCL and Birmingham :smile:

I haven't actually studied Religious Studies/Philosophy and Ethics or anything at A Level. What kind of stuff did you guys learn about?

I'm not applying for RS as I haven't reached that stage yet (though I've been considering it for a while - first choice would be Cambridge :biggrin:), but I've just started Religious Studies AS level and it's really interesting. I'm doing all of the Philosophy and Ethics modules and so far we've looked at miracles, different types of ethics (situation ethics, descriptive, meta-ethics), theories such as intuitionism and emotivism and the naturalistic fallacy. Am currently doing 'religion and morality' looking at links between God and moral laws as well as arguments against religion (eg. religion is immoral/stops progress etc).
Reply 12
Hey!! How funny, ViennaWaits, I'm applying to four of the same unis as you! Just exeter not birmingham. Soooo nervous about it all!
Original post by Lahaa
Hey!! How funny, ViennaWaits, I'm applying to four of the same unis as you! Just exeter not birmingham. Soooo nervous about it all!

Hello again :smile: Ooh, really? Well I quite liked the look of Exeter too. That's the thing about Theology applicants, there are fewer universities we can choose from, so we all end up applying to the same place!
I'm pretty nervous too! What A Levels do you do?
I want to go to Exeter, but I'm predicted ABC, soooo annoying! Resitting and hoping to get ABB though :smile:
Has anyone got any offers yet? Some of my friends have got offers for other subjects but I don't know of any theology applicants with offers ..... was intrigued to see if any of you did
Original post by aspiringtotheology
Has anyone got any offers yet? Some of my friends have got offers for other subjects but I don't know of any theology applicants with offers ..... was intrigued to see if any of you did

I was going to ask that... no nothing yet from me.

Good luck with Oxford by the way! Have you heard anything from them?
I've applied for theology/religious studies at Cardiff,Lampeter,Exeter,Birmingham and Manchester :smile: and i got an offer from Cardiff today for ABB !!! :smile:
Original post by dreamoutloud4060
I've applied for theology/religious studies at Cardiff,Lampeter,Exeter,Birmingham and Manchester :smile: and i got an offer from Cardiff today for ABB !!! :smile:

Congratulations!! Is Cardiff your first choice?
I've applied to Birmingham too :smile: Haven't even had an acknowledgement from then yet :s-smilie:
Im not sure, i think i might use Cardiff as my insurance and aim for somewhere like Exeter or Manchester :smile:
Wait a few days for Birmingham,they are usually really good with letting you know what's happening, they sent a postcard thing and emails so I'm sure you'll get yours soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending