The Student Room Group

Single Sex Schools Vs Mixed. Your Opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Single sex schools should all burn in the fires of Mordor.

I was excited to be going to an all girls school when I was like 11 because.. I was 11. So in year 7 I didn't really care much, but when I got to year 8, everyone started fawning over teachers and trying to get boys over Facebook, or whatever. *****.
Then in year 9 most of my friends tried to look cool by acting like they don't care. [Basically trying to appear more attractive than the desperate girls.] And some of us were just completely and utterly confused about our sexuality.
I am ****ing confused.
I went to a mixed Primary school, and then for five years I went to an all girls school, (I'm now at the school's sixth form, which is mixed), and I have to admit that if you're not in regular contact with boys via school every day, it is harder to interact with them outside of school- it feels really strange having classes with boys now! :P Having said that, I'm actually really glad that I went to an all girls school, because I really don't think I could have been as successful at a mixed school, I suppose because boys can be distracting. Personally think mixed schools are better for boys than girls.

The all girls schools in my area do much better in the league tables than the mixed ones. But then education isn't just about league tables, and it's true that going to a mixed school develops social skills, so overall I'd say going to a single sex school was the best option for me, but parents should be allowed to choose where they send their children, and some children will do better in single sex schools, whereas others might fare better in mixed schools :smile:
does it count if i went to an all girls school with an all boys school down the road?

genuinly going to an all girls school matures you more and girls can be soo bitchy and some of the fights that go on at lunch times were always over boys ironically
Reply 63
Original post by wactm
I went to an all boys grammar with a girls school quite near by.

Academically, at the time, it was ranked number 1 in the country, nough said. Socially, I have had plenty of girlfriends and have no problems chilling with girls, neither do any of my friends.

Attending a boys school was awesome. An incredible experience that I wholeheartedly reccomend to everyone. It might be a bit 'rough' for some people but overall less people got bullied than at the mixed schools nearby. Every year the leavers would pull awesome pranks, and on any given day it was not unusual to see someone covered in flour and eggs.

However, if youre a hot female teacher avoid all boys schools like the plague. Sexual harassment is putting what went on mildly.

I like this quote, it doesnt show how awkward you are with girls at all :wink:
Reply 64
Original post by Rushi371
I like this quote, it doesnt show how awkward you are with girls at all :wink:

I did write a big long message about my relationship history but I just realised, your opinion means nothing to me.

Peace
I went to a girls secondary and it didn't affect me or any of my friends socially, although that may be because most people were friends with boys from the boys school anyway.
Our sixth form is mixed with the boys school and it's pretty much exactly the same from a social aspect, no-one is now awkward with the opposite sex being around.
Reply 66
bump
Reply 67
I prefer mixed-sex, as I believe that an essential part of growing up and developing is being around the opposite sex also. But that may just be me.
I go to a mixed secondary school. We had a pilot scheme where they would have an all-boys class, an all-girls class and a mixed class in the 3 "set one" english classes, which had about half the year in them in total. This did not work at all. I was in the all-boys class. They had to bump a load of pretty thick people up to set one just to get the numbers for an all boys class. This meant that girls who were clearly better at english than some people in the all-boys class were put in the lower sets. As you might expect, the all-boys class did little other than mess about and take the piss out of the useless (female) teacher. We were constantly behind the girl's class by several lessons, despite them spending a lot of time watching videos. Based on this (admittedly small and statistically useless) experience I think that for boys at least, being mixed with girls would mellow us out somewhat.
I went to a single sex school and I absolutely loved it, I go to a mixed college now and its just not the same!
At school everyone kinda just focused on the work and didn't have any distractions with there being no boys but I can't stand being in a mixed college specially considering I keep over hearing girls in my boyfriends tutor mention just how cute he really is.... makes me far too jealous haha!
Reply 70
I went to a single sex school and found it was alot more bitchy and you certainly had the cliques and stereotypes. If you didn't fit it, you were victimized. I personally absolutely hated it and wouldn't do it again. I then went onto a mixed sex college, and apart from the initial awkward introductions and getting to know boys, I've never had a problem with socializing with them since.
i have 2 reasons against it the obvious social side

and have you seen what happens when to girls have an argument in school the every girl picks sides in that year

meaning in a all girls school the whole year maybe even school is picking sides thats just asking for trouble :/(this does genuinly happen at least the girls all picked sides in my school and in my sisters school one arguement spead through evry one there piking sides regardless of year as she goers to an all girls school)
Reply 72
I went to an all girls secondary school, I absolutely loved it. I don't think it had any real bad effect on, yes it was a little bitchy but at the same time everybody looked out for each other & I made some awesome friends. I just loved it all tbh. :smile: Went to a mixed college though, & found that it really wasn't as different as I thought mixed schools would be!

So yeah, I don't really see the point in single sex schools but I'm happy I went to one. :smile:
I go to an all girls, I've never had any problems :dontknow:
Reply 74
I went a single sex school, and there are lots of drug issues and fights there and I have never talk to a girl and I am very shy whenever I saw a girl. I am now 18 but still never talk to a girl so it maybe the reason why I cant talk a girl and I am lonely.
Reply 75
It seems to me that some people clearly do better in mixed and some in single as long as the single school has contacts with opposite gender. So should we encourage mixed and single schools so people can go to both?
Absolutely no need for single sex schools.

I've never met someone that said they were glad to have been to one (as opposed to going to a mixed school), whereas I've met plenty of people that regretted it.

Arguing that they get better grades or anything is retarded, private schools get better grades. I'm pretty certain that near all single sex schools are also private schools.
Reply 77
bump
Reply 78
bump
Reply 79
Original post by concubine
I've never met someone that said they were glad to have been to one (as opposed to going to a mixed school)
Accepting, obviously, that you probably haven't met any/many posters on this thread, I presume you have ignored several posters on this thread who enjoyed and/or are glad they went to a single-sex school.

I think what this thread has shown is that there is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to education. Some people, myself included (along with many classmates) thoroughly enjoyed (relished even) the freedom that a single-sex environment offered us. Some clearly did not.

There does seem to be, from my very unscientific observations, more positive thoughts regarding all-boys schools when compared to all-girls schools. Maybe the 'bitchiness' is a factor - we even had a teacher who moved to our all-boys school to avoid bitching classes full-stop. This is perhaps borne out by my family's experiences - mine was extremely good, meanwhile my sister, who attended an all-girls school, did not enjoy her time so well (precisely because of some of the comments made by those who have experienced the less enjoyable side of an all-girls environment).

PS. This has been bugging me more-or-less since this thread started, so I shall get it off my chest now. Education is not real-life, nor is it any sort of representation of real-life. As such, arguments along the lines of 'life is not single-sex, so nor should schools be' don't really hold much water in my mind. In my experience, education of all sorts is about as far removed from real life as it is possible to get, the only people who really think it isn't is teachers (and whilst I have many friends who are now teachers, I cannot think of any group which has such a weak grasp of reality as them... - just look at just about every press release to ever emanate from a teachers' union... :wink: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending