The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by oxymoronic
You made the best decision. Primary is so much more fun :biggrin:

Do you reckon you would still have opted for secondary had Teach First offered primary MFL when you did it?

End. Of. Half. Term.
:frown:

Probably, because I always thought I "couldn't do" primary (kids too whiny and needy etc). They actually piloted primary MFL in my year, but it was only in London and I was placed in the Midlands so I didn't get offered to do it. I'm really happy where I'm working now though, I get to work with some of the older kids at homework help as well so that's good too!

End of holidays suck. We had half term 3 weeks ago, but I've been off all this week with a throat infection. Back on Tuesday, can't wait!
Reply 41
Hello NQTs, dobbs and I have been inadvertently taking over the PGCE thread! This thread needs a revival, how are people getting on after half term?
Reply 42
Original post by Becca
Hehe graph of feelings! It's good that your school spreads out the reports though. In my training year reports were spread out but then in my NQT year they changed it to all being in one go and it was a complete nightmare. I just didn't have the time to dedicate to writing a really good report for each kid and it was a massive shame because I think a good, personalised report is important thing.

And yeah, a Masters is a whole different ball game. I had to quit mine because a) I was just too beat after ITT to do it b) if I do a Masters I want it to be on something I'm really passionate about, I don't want to have to think up a dissertation title on the spot because someone told me I had to.

Anyway, this should really be in the NQT thread :ninja:

Sorted! :biggrin: Oh...you've already come here. Oh well I'm still going to quote that one...

No-one has told me what to do on my masters but I do seem to have just come up with something, so I'm looking at boys underachievement, which actually I am really interested in and am 'enjoying' doing the reading for :smile: So hopefully it can stay that way!

It's funny we mention reports as a friend from the PGCE is complaining on Facebook about how many reports she has to do, and I was pointing out to her that my school only uses a numerical system (Effort, Behaviour, Organisation, Current Standard of Work, Target Grade/NC Level) with no added text to it, which makes reports SOOOOOOO easy :biggrin: However we are allowed to attach a personal comment if we so wish but this is not required. I've got to do my Year 7 reports this week. Will be easy peasy :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Popa Dom
Pretty good atm, apart from the fact im currently in my classroom marking all the past papers i set for holiday homework, massive error! Got NQT training day tomorrow at least, should be pretty chilled!

Currently working on weaning myself off powerpoint, and reckon I'm teaching about 50% of my lessons without it now. It's a lot harder, but I think the lessons are better for it. Also, only 5 weeks till Christmas, woo!

Yeah In my first 2 years I did nearly all my lessons on powerpoint. It means I have a nice stash of things on most topics but I have tried to wean myself off it too. For one not using it all the time stops you getting screwed by the electricity in school going off the day you have a perfectly planned observation lesson based around powerpoint...
Now I use it occasionally but the majority of my lessons revolve around flashcards/card sorts and pair and group work now.

Original post by dobbs
Sorted! :biggrin: Oh...you've already come here. Oh well I'm still going to quote that one...

No-one has told me what to do on my masters but I do seem to have just come up with something, so I'm looking at boys underachievement, which actually I am really interested in and am 'enjoying' doing the reading for :smile: So hopefully it can stay that way!

It's funny we mention reports as a friend from the PGCE is complaining on Facebook about how many reports she has to do, and I was pointing out to her that my school only uses a numerical system (Effort, Behaviour, Organisation, Current Standard of Work, Target Grade/NC Level) with no added text to it, which makes reports SOOOOOOO easy :biggrin: However we are allowed to attach a personal comment if we so wish but this is not required. I've got to do my Year 7 reports this week. Will be easy peasy :smile:

Hmm I don't know if I'm a fan of the numerical system. Maybe ok for classes you don't see often though. I'd definitely attach comments for GCSE groups etc.
Reply 44
Original post by Becca

Hmm I don't know if I'm a fan of the numerical system. Maybe ok for classes you don't see often though. I'd definitely attach comments for GCSE groups etc.

Yeah I agree it doesn't seem great but actually I do think that personalised reports don't give you a huge more detail than a numbering system to be honest - even for GCSE pupils. Why type out "x is an excellent worker and always turns up to lessons with equipment, completes homework on time, perfect behaviour, and is working on target" for a number of pupils when you could just type 1 for behaviour, 1 for organisation, 1 for effort, and 1 for current standard of work? I did my Year 11 group the other week and a few of them got all lowest numbers as they need to sort themselves out, no extra comments needed really.

However the school is pretty good at other things, we do an Academic mentoring thing whereby form tutors have to sit with all the pupils in their tutor group, identify areas of weakness, make targets, and contact parents to tell them what their targets are on the day that the mentoring session was done. And actually they do really well and just keeping in general contact with parents, so I think they get around the whole having to personalise reports thing.

I definitely prefer this method; plus I have a lot of the parents e-mail addresses and are now in regular contact with a few of them which I feel is definitely the way forwards in terms of parental contact :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by dobbs
Yeah I agree it doesn't seem great but actually I do think that personalised reports don't give you a huge more detail than a numbering system to be honest - even for GCSE pupils. Why type out "x is an excellent worker and always turns up to lessons with equipment, completes homework on time, perfect behaviour, and is working on target" for a number of pupils when you could just type 1 for behaviour, 1 for organisation, 1 for effort, and 1 for current standard of work? I did my Year 11 group the other week and a few of them got all lowest numbers as they need to sort themselves out, no extra comments needed really.

However the school is pretty good at other things, we do an Academic mentoring thing whereby form tutors have to sit with all the pupils in their tutor group, identify areas of weakness, make targets, and contact parents to tell them what their targets are on the day that the mentoring session was done. And actually they do really well and just keeping in general contact with parents, so I think they get around the whole having to personalise reports thing.

I definitely prefer this method; plus I have a lot of the parents e-mail addresses and are now in regular contact with a few of them which I feel is definitely the way forwards in terms of parental contact :smile:

Yeah good point on the email thing. That is a massive part of home-school communication here in Norway and I think it works really well. Every class list has the parents' emails and phone numbers so you can easily get in contact over any issues.
Reply 46
Here's a random question for everyone:

Is anyone getting really annoyed at other teachers saying "Oooh stop working so hard" or "It's 5pm, get yourself home!!" At first I was all explaining that I had lots of work to do and just wanted to get it done but now people are STILL saying it and yes I understand that you need the whole work/life balance but what about if you actually don't need that too much?

I know that sounds weird but I've sort of accepted that this year I'm putting everything else on hold for me to settle into teaching, as well as doing my Masters. I'm content with working non-stop, and actually I'm the type of person who always looks to fill my time with productive things - OK I won't deny it would be nice to have a bit more free time right now but if it comes to free time versus planning lessons that are going to go down really well with my pupils, I choose the latter.

But anyway back to the point, yes, people keep telling me to not work as hard, and even other NQTs seem to be leaving 10 minutes after the bell goes, but I just can't seem to do that because I can't bear to plan crappy lessons or have a messy classroom or not follow up on detentions/homeworks/pastoral issues or not have my books regularly marked.

Right I'll stop there - just wondering if anyone was as crazy as me with the amount of work they're putting in?

It is now Friday night and I shall spend this evening marking Yr10 homeworks and planning some lessons for next week. I shall spend much of Saturday and Sunday also planning, as I have done since mid September :redface:
Original post by dobbs

Is anyone getting really annoyed at other teachers saying "Oooh stop working so hard" or "It's 5pm, get yourself home!!" At first I was all explaining that I had lots of work to do and just wanted to get it done but now people are STILL saying it and yes I understand that you need the whole work/life balance but what about if you actually don't need that too much?

I know that sounds weird but I've sort of accepted that this year I'm putting everything else on hold for me to settle into teaching, as well as doing my Masters. I'm content with working non-stop, and actually I'm the type of person who always looks to fill my time with productive things - OK I won't deny it would be nice to have a bit more free time right now but if it comes to free time versus planning lessons that are going to go down really well with my pupils, I choose the latter.

But anyway back to the point, yes, people keep telling me to not work as hard, and even other NQTs seem to be leaving 10 minutes after the bell goes, but I just can't seem to do that because I can't bear to plan crappy lessons or have a messy classroom or not follow up on detentions/homeworks/pastoral issues or not have my books regularly marked.

Right I'll stop there - just wondering if anyone was as crazy as me with the amount of work they're putting in?

It is now Friday night and I shall spend this evening marking Yr10 homeworks and planning some lessons for next week. I shall spend much of Saturday and Sunday also planning, as I have done since mid September :redface:

If you're happy with it then ignore them - I expect they're just feeling a bit guilty that they're not working as hard as you! that said, be careful you don't burn out. I've always liked to plan good lessons, get things marked etc but am of the opinion my life is equally important, so I set myself deadlines on how long I'm going to spend on something, and stick to it. I was considerably less stressed than most people on my PGCE year, but got all outstandings and rowed for 12 sessions per week.
Reply 48
Original post by modgepodge
If you're happy with it then ignore them - I expect they're just feeling a bit guilty that they're not working as hard as you! that said, be careful you don't burn out. I've always liked to plan good lessons, get things marked etc but am of the opinion my life is equally important, so I set myself deadlines on how long I'm going to spend on something, and stick to it. I was considerably less stressed than most people on my PGCE year, but got all outstandings and rowed for 12 sessions per week.

True.

On the plus side, I was observed by one of the Asst. Principles the other day and she said that if she had graded it on OfSted ratings she would say it was "Good with outstanding features" :smile:
Original post by dobbs

Original post by dobbs

I think it depends on what else you have in your life. For example, I have my boyfriend and I also have my commitments on TSR which I have to make time for at some point as its essentially a volunteering role in the same way as if I were running all of this in a face to face form. For me, I can't and don't want to dedicate my life 24/7 to teaching because I value my relationship and other aspects of my life as much as I value my job. This isn't to say that I don't do well in teaching as I also got outstanding at the end of my PGCE with less fuss than the people who worked 24/7, its more that I see my job and teaching as having a big part of my life but it isn't my whole life.

I managed to do everything better than everyone else last year even though they were putting in more hours so I think it depends on the person - some people (yourself included) maybe feel as though they have to live school for 24 hours a day if they're going to do well whereas others can get everything done in less time. I'm similar to modgepodge in that I have to set deadlines for myself to get things done otherwise I will spend the entire evening doing them. I don't think I produce lower quality things as a result and I'd probably say I'm better that way as I'm the kind of person who works very well under pressure but if you give me all day to do something then I'll take all day yet the final product won't be any better than if I'd said "I'm going to do this in 3 hours" because I thrive with the pressure element to get it done.

Well done on your observations though - that's proper good :biggrin: hope you're doing something nice to celebrate and take that one in :smile:
Original post by oxymoronic
I think it depends on what else you have in your life. For example, I have my boyfriend and I also have my commitments on TSR which I have to make time for at some point as its essentially a volunteering role in the same way as if I were running all of this in a face to face form. For me, I can't and don't want to dedicate my life 24/7 to teaching because I value my relationship and other aspects of my life as much as I value my job. This isn't to say that I don't do well in teaching as I also got outstanding at the end of my PGCE with less fuss than the people who worked 24/7, its more that I see my job and teaching as having a big part of my life but it isn't my whole life.

I managed to do everything better than everyone else last year even though they were putting in more hours so I think it depends on the person - some people (yourself included) maybe feel as though they have to live school for 24 hours a day if they're going to do well whereas others can get everything done in less time. I'm similar to modgepodge in that I have to set deadlines for myself to get things done otherwise I will spend the entire evening doing them. I don't think I produce lower quality things as a result and I'd probably say I'm better that way as I'm the kind of person who works very well under pressure but if you give me all day to do something then I'll take all day yet the final product won't be any better than if I'd said "I'm going to do this in 3 hours" because I thrive with the pressure element to get it done.

Well done on your observations though - that's proper good :biggrin: hope you're doing something nice to celebrate and take that one in :smile:

Oxymoronic, how is your job hunt and supply going? i haven't had much supply but.....

I GOT A JOB OFFER TODAY!!!

Am so so happy :smile: Have been so stressed the last 2 months, so pleased to have something for January :smile:

Hope you're doing ok too!
Reply 51
Oxymoronic, how is your job hunt and supply going? i haven't had much supply but.....

Am so so happy :smile: Have been so stressed the last 2 months, so pleased to have something for January :smile:

I'm only a lurker here but congrats!
Reply 52

Congratulations! :biggrin:

Yay, congrats!
Original post by Becca
Congratulations! :biggrin:

Original post by *Interrobang*
Yay, congrats!

Thanks! x

Thanks! x

I'm such an idiot and totally forgot to reply to your amazing news, sorry!!! I read it when I was just closing the computer down to go out and thought "will reply later" then forgot :frown:

What year group is it and what's the school like etc??? Sooooooo happy for you!!! :biggrin:
Reply 56
Looking into courses to help me teach Maths/literacy to Norwegian kids!

Any of you primary guys got any tips on those areas? Obviously I'm not looking for anything specific to Norwegian :p: The main areas I have found challenging so far have been explaining maths AT ALL (I was terrible at Maths at school and avoided it like the plague after GCSE) so any techniques for basic numeracy would be great (add/subtraction/numberlines/telling the time/odd and even/identifying patterns).

Any really good strategies for teaching reading? I'm ok with teaching how to write letters and space and punctuation etc but getting kids to sound out words etc and reading strategies I really feel like I'm winging it! I'm working with kids that have only just learned to read really, it's their 2nd year of school.
Reply 57
Do you do guided reading? What part of teaching reading are you not sure about, is it the decoding or the comprehension part?

I do modelled reading a lot as well, I read something and then explain what I get from it to the children - often at story time.
Reply 58
Original post by mmaize
Do you do guided reading? What part of teaching reading are you not sure about, is it the decoding or the comprehension part?

I do modelled reading a lot as well, I read something and then explain what I get from it to the children - often at story time.

All parts!! I have kids who are still at the decoding stage and many who are at the more advanced comprehension stages.
Reply 59
I would do guided reading, sitting with a group of children each day (no more than 6) and sharing a book together. You can differentiate the books and meet the needs of everyone - have LOs related to decoding for some groups and then some comprehension LOs for other groups.

If you can build reading into your literacy. Have a fact finding lesson, tell them a story through diary entries, letters, witness reports dotted around the classroom. Pair up stronger readers with weaker ones. I told my class an alternative version of Cinderella in a reading lesson; diary entries from cinderella saying how easy her life was and how mean she was to her step sisters, witness statements saying how people had seen Cinderella be unkind, letters from the step-sisters whinging about her. We then gathered together and shared our ideas and developed the story together, and then we worked up to writing a different version ourselves. Start lessons with a letter or message on the board that the children have to read.

Lots of modelled reading, explaining what you think about a book etc.

For decoding you can get them to match pictures and words (linked to your topic), describe an object by choosing the right words from a word bank, passing a magic bag/bucket/jar around and picking out a word to read, sentence sorting (chop a sentence into the component words and the chn put them back together).

Hope this is of some use.

Latest

Trending

Trending