The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Course officially finished, so making my first post in this thread!
Original post by *Darcie*
Hello balloon_parade.
I know you got a job a little while ago. Is it in nursery? I got a nursery job yesterday and obviously I'm thrilled but a little bit scared also. I can't believe I will be entrusted with the lives and learning of 60 three year olds!! I did an early years course but always said reception/KS1 was more for me. Did you have a placement in nursery? My EYFS placement was in reception so I was a little surprised that I got this job. How are you feeling about it all? Any reservations about teaching nursery?
Darcie x

Congratulations on the job! Yes I will be in nursery in Sept too! I know how you feel about the whole, "OMG I am in charge of their learning, me, on my own!" Very exciting but also incredibly nerve-wracking! I did a placement in a unit and I also have a just-turned 3 year old so I'm feeling quite pleased with nursery! I would say nursery reception is more me!

Lots of reservations! Mainly due to to the lack of assessment at the moment as they have just had 1 teacher in the unit and now they have to have nursery and reception (new EYFS requirements) so from what I've seen the nursery at the moment have just been cast aside (I picked up a child's evidence folder and it had cobwebs and a dead spider on..so that show how much they are updated! :eek: ) so I'm just going to go in and do it how it should be done and basically raise standards (she says as an NQT!) going to prove myself! :smile:

How about yourself? I'm also worried they'll all be crying for the first 3 weeks or so!
Reply 82
Original post by balloon_parade
Congratulations on the job! Yes I will be in nursery in Sept too! I know how you feel about the whole, "OMG I am in charge of their learning, me, on my own!" Very exciting but also incredibly nerve-wracking! I did a placement in a unit and I also have a just-turned 3 year old so I'm feeling quite pleased with nursery! I would say nursery reception is more me!

Lots of reservations! Mainly due to to the lack of assessment at the moment as they have just had 1 teacher in the unit and now they have to have nursery and reception (new EYFS requirements) so from what I've seen the nursery at the moment have just been cast aside (I picked up a child's evidence folder and it had cobwebs and a dead spider on..so that show how much they are updated! :eek: ) so I'm just going to go in and do it how it should be done and basically raise standards (she says as an NQT!) going to prove myself! :smile:

How about yourself? I'm also worried they'll all be crying for the first 3 weeks or so!

Sounds like you can really make your mark with regards to assessment standards. I was only appointed Thurs so havn't been able to get in and see what's what yet.
The whole crying for three weeks thing really worries me too. In my school there is only Sept intake so they will all be new to the school.
Is yours a perm or temp position? Mine is maternity for two terms only so I'm a bit worried I won't be able to really put my stamp on it.
I'm just a big bag of anxiousness atm!
I've now moved on from the 'PGCE....' thread. I'm so scared about next year that I've only just dared to venture onto the NQT page.. eeek!
NQT year almost over...
Did my final assessment with my Induction mentor today.
The end is finally in sight...

Hope your all coming to the end of yours too and feeling relieved..:biggrin:!
Reply 85
Original post by Princess_Emma
NQT year almost over...
Did my final assessment with my Induction mentor today.
The end is finally in sight...

Hope your all coming to the end of yours too and feeling relieved..:biggrin:!

Got my final NQT meeting tomorrow, should go fine though on Monday my mentor came to me at breaktime and said "I need evidence that you've met all your targets, can you get it to me by Period 4?" I was like "Errr not really I'm teaching Period 3!" and she goes "Fine, half way through Period 4 will do!!" :rolleyes:

Note to all upcoming NQTs - record evidence for your targets!!
Well done to those finishing their NQT year! :godancing:
Reply 87
Original post by dobbs
Got my final NQT meeting tomorrow, should go fine though on Monday my mentor came to me at breaktime and said "I need evidence that you've met all your targets, can you get it to me by Period 4?" I was like "Errr not really I'm teaching Period 3!" and she goes "Fine, half way through Period 4 will do!!" :rolleyes:

Note to all upcoming NQTs - record evidence for your targets!!

I remember when we both said we'd never be teachers :moon:
Reply 88
Original post by Becca
I remember when we both said we'd never be teachers :moon:

I never said such a thing! :K:
Reply 89
Original post by dobbs
I never said such a thing! :K:

I remember very clearly you talking about how crap Geography is at school, even up to A level it was too vague or something :colone:
Reply 90
Original post by Becca
I remember very clearly you talking about how crap Geography is at school, even up to A level it was too vague or something :colone:

LIES!!! :tongue:

Find me evidence of this :biggrin: hehe
Reply 91
Original post by dobbs
LIES!!! :tongue:

Find me evidence of this :biggrin: hehe

It may have been on some other platform than TSR, can't be bothered :p: You definitely said it though :biggrin:
Reply 92
Original post by Becca
It may have been on some other platform than TSR, can't be bothered :p: You definitely said it though :biggrin:

Whatever you say :rolleyes: I can't believe I ever would have said I wouldn't become a teacher, as I would've been a massive liar....LIKE YOU ARE :biggrin: heh
Reply 93
Well done NQT finishers, a couple of days to go til the holidays!

Ramblings from me to procrastinate from packing...

My year 7 induction day last week was really good fun, despite having spotted a couple of potential troublemakers in my tutor group- nothing too bad, just loud boys. I'm already planning the targets I will inevitably have to set them! I wonder when the girls will present themselves as trouble- they were as good as gold during the day. As a result I know most of the boys' names and a couple of the girls' names. Oops. Looking forward to having them to myself though.

I got my new timetable too... it's not a full teaching quota, and PPA and mentor sessions have been included so the rest of the time is fair game for cover, the same goes for all staff- I just hope that they respect my NQT time reduction (which presumably will come out of the remaining time) when dishing out the cover! I'm guessing my best bet is just to do what's asked over the first fortnight, note it down, count it up and let my mentor/HoD know if necessary.

I'm sharing a fair few classes, as is everyone else in the department. Yet I think there are plenty of staff to go around, as we all teach less than the full 44 lessons per fortnight, so that's odd. I never liked sharing on my PGCE! Hopefully I won't be expected to do reports etc for the classes where I'm the minority teacher...

Overall I'm still excited despite the moans though, lots of technology to play with (iPads!!) and when cover is light presumably a bit more time to play with it and actually plan to use it!

Financially I'm concerned as I don't have the unconditional job offer (CRB/medical checks) to get the graduate loan I desperately need to be able to survive once I've moved- I have enough to move and pay rent but no furniture and probably no food either! Also I'm not entitled to the county's resettlement grant as my school is an Academy :frown:
hey guys,

Wow first post in this thread. Okay basically I finished last week, was told I passed my GTP year. My school is keeping me on for my NQT year. The Head said to leave it all to her and she will contact the LA and they will email her with some paper work which I will need to fill in and return. Is that what you lot did ? Also this will be a silly question. But just what does the NQT year consist of? What do I need to do? How am I assessed? What are the assessments?

Anyone?
Reply 96
Original post by lemoncake sucks
hey guys,

Wow first post in this thread. Okay basically I finished last week, was told I passed my GTP year. My school is keeping me on for my NQT year. The Head said to leave it all to her and she will contact the LA and they will email her with some paper work which I will need to fill in and return. Is that what you lot did ? Also this will be a silly question. But just what does the NQT year consist of? What do I need to do? How am I assessed? What are the assessments?

Anyone?

My NQT year was nearly 3 years ago now, but for me it was a brilliant year! So much easier than my training year. I did teach first, so similar to a GTP in terms of teaching load. Hopefully you'll have the same sort of experience as me, seeing as you're staying at the same school. I remember I think I had 6 observations,1 per half term (correct me if I'm wrong, more recent NQTs!) and a few bits of paperwork to fill out. I had some of the observations with the school's NQT mentor and some with my HoD/2nd in dept. It was not at all stressful :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by Becca
My NQT year was nearly 3 years ago now, but for me it was a brilliant year! So much easier than my training year. I did teach first, so similar to a GTP in terms of teaching load. Hopefully you'll have the same sort of experience as me, seeing as you're staying at the same school. I remember I think I had 6 observations,1 per half term (correct me if I'm wrong, more recent NQTs!) and a few bits of paperwork to fill out. I had some of the observations with the school's NQT mentor and some with my HoD/2nd in dept. It was not at all stressful :smile:

I'll point out now that if your school is an Academy they may be less stringyent on observations - I have been observed three times over the course of this past year - twice by my mentor and once by the NQT co-ordinator. Was meant to be observed by the Head at some point but it never happened.

My NQT year has been 10x more difficult/pressurised/busy/stressful than my PGCE year, but I think the main reason that has been has because I've moved to a city where I don't know anyone, and the pressures of teaching have given me little time to do anything social in order to meet any new people. It's been the most tiring and testing year of my life.

My department hasn't helped, the other teachers barely share resources unless I go and ask them and then my HoD snaps at me on a regular basis (though the excuse is that she's pregnant and therefore hormonal?!). One of the other Geog teachers has been on long term sick leave for stress and panic attacks, which hasn't helped us as we've had to sort all his cover.

Anyway, there are a million other things I could say. But I won't.

I'm glad my NQT year is over. Next year I'm taking on some HoD duties as my HoD goes on maternity leave. Yippee :rolleyes:
Thanks for the replies guys. Nah I'm staying at the same school and they're just great, feels like home! :smile:. I was just worried about the assessments etc. I spoke to my school tutor (was my tutor for GTP) she was just fab and said I'll get the support for NQT year.
Reply 99
Original post by dobbs
I'll point out now that if your school is an Academy they may be less stringyent on observations - I have been observed three times over the course of this past year - twice by my mentor and once by the NQT co-ordinator. Was meant to be observed by the Head at some point but it never happened.

My NQT year has been 10x more difficult/pressurised/busy/stressful than my PGCE year, but I think the main reason that has been has because I've moved to a city where I don't know anyone, and the pressures of teaching have given me little time to do anything social in order to meet any new people. It's been the most tiring and testing year of my life.

My department hasn't helped, the other teachers barely share resources unless I go and ask them and then my HoD snaps at me on a regular basis (though the excuse is that she's pregnant and therefore hormonal?!). One of the other Geog teachers has been on long term sick leave for stress and panic attacks, which hasn't helped us as we've had to sort all his cover.

Anyway, there are a million other things I could say. But I won't.

I'm glad my NQT year is over. Next year I'm taking on some HoD duties as my HoD goes on maternity leave. Yippee :rolleyes:

My school was on an academy, you reminded me, I was actually observed more than normal by two SLT members because we had mocksted due to the new academy status :rolleyes:

Ate you being financially compensated for your new responsibilities? It will get better, and now is the time of year evey teacher remembers they love their job :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending