The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by balloon_parade
Good luck on your first days in school all!

Anyone else feel like they suddenly have no idea if what they are doing is correct, it's surreal not having a 'real' class teacher around to show your plans to! :wink:

I'm like this too. I'm actually craving an observation right now.
Original post by Becca
I'm like this too. I'm actually craving an observation right now.

haha, don't know about that! It's just nice having someone who is confident in their practice what to do and whether what I am doing is right! Early Years seems to change from setting to setting so loads of conflicting advice!:s-smilie:
Reply 122
Original post by balloon_parade
haha, don't know about that! It's just nice having someone who is confident in their practice what to do and whether what I am doing is right! Early Years seems to change from setting to setting so loads of conflicting advice!:s-smilie:

Haha I realised that sounds a bit weird but I didn't mean like a formal observation in the UK. No way do I want to have to make a lesson plan and provide class lists etc, I just want, like you said, someone with more experience and confidence to come in and tell me I'm doing it right :p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_YAb4kp3Qo&feature=related

Listening to this and doing a lesson plan. I feel epic :cool: Ohhh yeaahh
Well, the day has finally arrived when I (and I'm sure most of you) can say "I start work tomorrow".

Tomorrow. Eeek. At least it's 2 days of INSET. And I think we get a free lunch.

Really don't think I'm ready for this... usual workload aside, I don't feel ready to have any responsibility! That's my main worry at the minute.
Original post by noodles!
Well, the day has finally arrived when I (and I'm sure most of you) can say "I start work tomorrow".

Tomorrow. Eeek. At least it's 2 days of INSET. And I think we get a free lunch.

Really don't think I'm ready for this... usual workload aside, I don't feel ready to have any responsibility! That's my main worry at the minute.

Feel exactly the same as you.. I had a huge lie-in, went to Next to finalise my work wordrobe and nowcim going to spend the rest of the day in denial/snoozing :s-smilie:
I'm getting quite nervous now about tomorrow! I have planned some things but without class info I can't do too much. I think it's all going to hit me tomorrow and I'll have to get back into planning. What if I've forgotten how to teach? haha...
Reply 127
Original post by lemoncake sucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_YAb4kp3Qo&feature=related

Listening to this and doing a lesson plan. I feel epic :cool: Ohhh yeaahh

You need to get this on....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOVnYsBCJU

17 minutes of pure drum adrenaline from the Opening Ceremony! :biggrin:
Original post by Suzanathema
I'm getting quite nervous now about tomorrow! I have planned some things but without class info I can't do too much. I think it's all going to hit me tomorrow and I'll have to get back into planning. What if I've forgotten how to teach? haha...

Haha I feel like this! I have absolutly no class info whatsoever (other than their set numbers, which is meaningless) so I have a list as long as my arm for questions I want to ask to get me started. INSET days for the first two, and they finish at half 1, so I think I'll just work like mad for the afternoon and get everything sorted!
That's my plan too... our INSET is until 3.15 but I'm planning on staying until I get kicked out by the site manager! (and will probably do so every day for about 2 weeks haha)

Annoyingly, lots of what would have been subject area time is being taken up by meetings for those of us teaching a life skills-type class to year 11s, which I think basically consists of employment skills/applications to colleges etc. Should be a hoot.
Reply 130
Good luck everyone! Let us know how your first days have gone!
I've been back at work 2 weeks now and I went on a course on Friday and basically found out that my team is doing loads of stuff wrong in relation to this "early years" program the school is a part of, so now I have to implement loads of changes to my class routines. Should be fun :rolleyes:
Oh god the day is here... got woken up by a fox squealing outside at 3am so I'm not a happy bunny! Wasn't expecting the best night's sleep but it was going well until then :frown:

I've just had the small dilemma of 'smart or not' as I've heard that INSET days can be casual in some schools. But I didn't know so am going for normal work clothes on the grounds that I'm new, even if everyone is in jeans!
Hope it's going well Noodles, I'm sure it will be!

I've got 2 inset days then 2 days without the children and then they are in! I'm soooo nervous about it all, I went in over the hols and changed the classroom round, I'm hoping the TAs will think it's ok! Nervous!!
What a day! So much paper and information, my head might explode.

Staff meeting was doom and gloom as exam results weren't as good as before... apparently this will trigger an earlier Ofsted inspection when we weren't due one for 2 years! :|

Rest of the day was just filled with having information thrown at us, quite literally- year team meeting was almost incomprehensible, all I know is that I have a large folder with stuff in it, and I know vaguely what to do on day 1! Sure it will all get sorted.

Department-wise there was loads more paper, departmental development plan, whole department timetable, rooming changes, posters we all have to have on the walls, target sheets... at least a tree's worth!

My classroom is HUGE! I've done some of the displays (sore thumbs), still got a couple more to do tomorrow, and then just have to move the tables around, don't quite know how yet as it's almost too big to do what I want- rows of 2 - 4 - 2 across the classroom. I might sit them in pairs, to be honest (I would love single desks like in the US!).

I've given myself the tasks tonight of making my tutor group name plate for the board, and putting their birthdays on a pretty piece of paper! (...and getting my head around my shared classes, when I see them etc.)

EDIT: just realised I've left my memory stick in the computer in my classroom. I even thought I would as the computer is on the floor and the USB ports are at the bottom of that, so I figured I didn't stand a chance! Idiot.
(edited 11 years ago)
First day was amazing! All day phonics inset but it was lovely, my room is nearly ready and the other teacher in the foundation stage and I are on the same page as far as teaching and learning ethos goes. Phew!

1 more day of inset, 2 days of classroom set up (nursery doesn't start til 10th nationwide due to government funding, preschool places ect), planning and then my children come in. Woohoo! :biggrin:

Going to prep a letter to introduce myself to the parents tonight, hope I don't come across like a complete idiot or pompous.

Oh and can you imagine...both the main printer AND the photocopier are broken, isn't that just a schools worst nightmare? Considering KS1 & KS2 are all in on Thurs, eek!
EDIT: just realised I've left my memory stick in the computer in my classroom. I even thought I would as the computer is on the floor and the USB ports are at the bottom of that, so I figured I didn't stand a chance! Idiot.

I just did the same thing. Dammit! I downloaded pretty much EVERYTHING I needed to do some seating plans and look at attainment/SEN stuff. Now I'm having a mini panic trying to gain access to it all from home!
Been a busy bee today! Classroom now set up, apart from some things I was given around an hour ago (yes I was in school til 6.45!)- need to staple them to a board tomorrow morning and then the room is good to go. Apart from emptying and sorting out a set of drawers in there, which I plan to ignore for the minute!

Despite me having worked incredibly hard all day, I still have a list as long as my arm: writing up 2 year 9 plans into my file (which are identical, just in different languages) and putting together the simplest of powerpoints for them, doing seating plans, making an Excel markbook for the 3 classes I see tomorrow at least, and putting the million and one things I need to tell and do with my year 7 tutor group into a sensible order!

All things I don't mind sitting and doing, though.

Surprisingly not too nervous about teaching yet, despite the fact that I have year 9 set 3 and 4 so behaviour won't be fab (hoping for honeymoon period of first lesson but my ability to implement the system in place if needs be!)- then I have year 11 in a citizenship/PHSE type course which they WILL see as pointless and not want to partake in. So that should be a hoot too.

Good luck for whenever you start teaching, guys! Hope you're more organised than me! I'm off to eat and then do all my work :/

Sorry for the diary-like posts by the way, it's a good way to vent at the end of the day without needing to call or email anyone! Planning to offload to a teacher from my placement school on Saturday via email though, I think.
Not even going to bother posting about today... I don't have time to write it and nobody probably has time to read it!

Full 5 lesson day tomorrow... bring it on, I guess?
Not even going to bother posting about today... I don't have time to write it and nobody probably has time to read it!

Full 5 lesson day tomorrow... bring it on, I guess?

I read this post and your last one! Just had no time to reply.

I was right to be worried that I'd forgotten how to teach - I have. I've had about 6 lessons now (all starter 'getting to know you' things, first actual teaching is tomorrow) and it took me until this afternoon to remember how to teach. I knew the lightbulb in my head had turned on because I got a bottom set year 9 with several statemented kids in the last lesson of the day to behave and had quite a nice lesson :tongue:

I have sooo much to do. At 5.30 I was so exhausted I just came home, one lesson still to plan for tomorrow - a tricky year 10 group so I need to get it right. My 'buddy' in her second year came to talk to me and warned me I'd get fat in my NQT year through eating quick junk food... I thought 'no way' to myself, but I'm now lesson planning whilst eating 4 slices of cheese on toast and drinking wine!

On the plus side, I have loads of really sparky interesting classes, most are really small - I think about 24 is my average. And my tutor group are lovely. I might start using my PPA slots for napping though because I'm so tired!

How is everyone else coping?

Edit: Just re-read this and it seems like I'm bragging about the Year 9 thing... I think they're just sweethearts really and I got through their 'trying it on' more easily because they were naturally a lovely class so stopped when I told them to stop. I think the remembering how to teach helped but I'm not suggesting it turned me into a super-teacher or anything!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 139
Bottom sets were always my favourites once I got really into the swing of things. I always found them way more enthusiastic and rewarding to work with. Might be why I'm enjoying myself so much in primary now.

Latest

Trending

Trending