The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm so jealous of you all....I have failed to get a job due to moving house (partner's job relocating) which I only found out about mid-June, meaning there were hardly any jobs to apply to :frown:

Hoping to get some supply but just so jealous of all my friends who are all looking forward to starting tomorrow....
I'll keep an eye on this too, did my NQT 2 yrs ago now, so might be able to help :smile:

3rd year starts tomorrow, again, 2 days of INSET then hitting the ground running. What are y'all teaching?
Original post by modgepodge

I'm so jealous of you all....I have failed to get a job due to moving house (partner's job relocating) which I only found out about mid-June, meaning there were hardly any jobs to apply to :frown:

I'm in a similar boat - I moved house and as a result failed to get a job too. I've established that for people who move locations during/after the PGCE year then primary is not the way forward due to all of the school visits involved. Secondary seems much more flexible and accommodating with the fact applicants might not live around the corner!

We'll just be the cool primary supply teachers.... I know you did well in your PGCE like I did so I'm hoping that once the momentum gets going with maternity leave etc then I/we can get something sorted for after half term. I'm just thanking my seemingly unlucky stars that most primary school teachers are women so pregnancy happens all of the time :biggrin:

I'm unbelievably jealous of everyone I know who has started today and I've been in this weird thing of refusing to look at facebook because their status updates make me upset but at the same time I want to see it because I want to know how they're getting on.... ah well. As it happens, I would have been totally screwed if I had managed to get a job in my new location so this might have been a case of fate and that everything does happen for a reason. However, I will not see it like that until I'm employed. In short, I was supposed to be moving to my new house on 1st Sept and on 30th August I got a call from the agent to tell me that the current tenants are refusing to move until the 10th because the contract signing for their new house (they're buying) has been delayed. They've pulled the whole "we've got young children" crap and are just point blank refusing to move..... which had I been in a situation whereby I started school today would have made me incredibly homeless. I've argued that they should pay for me to stay in a hotel during this time (luckily I can stay at my parents house but they live 200 miles from my new location, so not ideal for the career front) but they've said no, meaning had I had a job I would have been living out of a hotel, financed by me and generally in a mess for my first week.

But yes.... good luck to everyone who is starting this week and modgepodge, I hope we're not battling it out for the same non existant supply work. You'd better be living somewhere not near me :p: We'll get there. Have you done much to prepare for supply? I'm annoyed at my PGCE provider for not even mentioning anything about supply meaning this is an area I've had to go into totally cold with no advice at all, the entire thing focused on "when you get a job for September" which hasn't been the reality for a lot of us, as there were a number of us who weren't from the local area and had no intention of living in the local area after the PGCE finished and we all struggled with jobs whereas all of the local people got one without an issue.

Also.... people:

Very important question here, what colour would you like the thread to be? I can definitely abuse my mod powers to give us some beautiful colouring on here that will be the envy of the teaching forum. We've got green, blue, red, pink, orange, purple and maybe some other colours that I've forgotten. I'm voting for pink :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by oxymoronic

Very important question here, what colour would you like the thread to be? I can definitely abuse my mod powers to give us some beautiful colouring on here that will be the envy of the teaching forum. We've got green, blue, red, pink, orange, purple and maybe some other colours that I've forgotten. I'm voting for pink :biggrin:

As maker of the thread, I vote for any colour other than pink :tongue: Not that I don't like pink or am not comfortable with my sexuality, I just don't want pink. You can choose which, maybe Green? Yes...green (as a geographer green and blue are the key colours...if you can't figure out why then go back to school!) :smile:

Onto NQT stuff, so I had INSET yesterday and came home with one of the worst headaches I've ever had. Information overload - staff briefing, year team meeting, faculty meeting, house meeting, another staff briefing...argh!! Don't think I was quite prepared for the number of responsibilities I'm going to have.

Only Year 7s in today and they were a good bunch to teach (incredibly quiet!) but they're going to get a shock tomorrow when all the big kids are around....who am I kidding? I'm going to get a shock when all the big kids are around! :redface:
Anyone had the Child Protection session yet? Our school is doing it's 3 yearly refresh for all staff......

Joys.......
I'm in a similar boat - I moved house and as a result failed to get a job too. I've established that for people who move locations during/after the PGCE year then primary is not the way forward due to all of the school visits involved. Secondary seems much more flexible and accommodating with the fact applicants might not live around the corner!

We'll just be the cool primary supply teachers.... I know you did well in your PGCE like I did so I'm hoping that once the momentum gets going with maternity leave etc then I/we can get something sorted for after half term. I'm just thanking my seemingly unlucky stars that most primary school teachers are women so pregnancy happens all of the time :biggrin:

I'm unbelievably jealous of everyone I know who has started today and I've been in this weird thing of refusing to look at facebook because their status updates make me upset but at the same time I want to see it because I want to know how they're getting on.... ah well. As it happens, I would have been totally screwed if I had managed to get a job in my new location so this might have been a case of fate and that everything does happen for a reason. However, I will not see it like that until I'm employed. In short, I was supposed to be moving to my new house on 1st Sept and on 30th August I got a call from the agent to tell me that the current tenants are refusing to move until the 10th because the contract signing for their new house (they're buying) has been delayed. They've pulled the whole "we've got young children" crap and are just point blank refusing to move..... which had I been in a situation whereby I started school today would have made me incredibly homeless. I've argued that they should pay for me to stay in a hotel during this time (luckily I can stay at my parents house but they live 200 miles from my new location, so not ideal for the career front) but they've said no, meaning had I had a job I would have been living out of a hotel, financed by me and generally in a mess for my first week.

But yes.... good luck to everyone who is starting this week and modgepodge, I hope we're not battling it out for the same non existant supply work. You'd better be living somewhere not near me :p: We'll get there. Have you done much to prepare for supply? I'm annoyed at my PGCE provider for not even mentioning anything about supply meaning this is an area I've had to go into totally cold with no advice at all, the entire thing focused on "when you get a job for September" which hasn't been the reality for a lot of us, as there were a number of us who weren't from the local area and had no intention of living in the local area after the PGCE finished and we all struggled with jobs whereas all of the local people got one without an issue.

Also.... people:

Have you signed the contract and paid rent starting on the 1st? If so, there is no way the estate agent can do that to you - they HAVE to pay for a hotel for you I'm sure. Screw the other tenants tbh.....young children can live in a hotel/with friends I'm sure. This is the estate agent's problem.

Anyway...I'm Gloucestershire, you? Went to look round a lovely school today, so fingers crossed, and seeing another one tomorrow. But yes, the inability to go visit schools beforehand was a massive issue for me.

I feel really unprepared for supply :frown: Have been looking at books on Amazon, have you got any yet? Feel like if i could just read a "supply for dummies" type book I'd feel a lot better. Thinking on my feet and coming up with good activities at the last minute is not my forte, which is unfortunate for a supply teacher! Also, have registered with 2 supply agencies, but haven't really heard anything from either yet - one not even a confirmation email! V odd. The other emailed me a job today - 19 hours a week as a TA....

Best of luck with it all!
Reply 7
Original post by gingerbreadman85
Anyone had the Child Protection session yet? Our school is doing it's 3 yearly refresh for all staff......

Joys.......

My school does annual child protection refresher sessions - due in January, fun times! Though I never really have a problem with it as long as the person doing them isn't too patronising and it is actually a 'refresher' i.e. goes over the basics and brings us up to date on any new legislation we need to know about (which this year may be quite a bit what with the new government simplifying a lot of the guidance).
Ours was the full 2hr long session covering everything. Some of it was really good actually, and it is something we need to be pretty hot on (particularly spotting signs of abuse, as well as safeguarding yourself from alegations)
Reply 9
Original post by Popa Dom

So hows the first week been then? So far I have to say I've had a wicked time teaching, lots of lovely classes who are behaving well enough to let me do groupwork and lots of independent work, which is SUCH a massive change from last year! Hopefully we're not just the honeymoon period though!

Having said that I am getting pretty tired, yesterday was an 18 hour day, think I may have taken on a bit too much..

My experience sounds the same as yours! All of my classes so far are fantastic (though must admit some of them are TOO quiet which makes it a bit boring ha) except one class which is going to be a challenge.

Very very tiring....although not managed an 18hr day yet (how?!?!?) I decided to cycle the 16 miles to work yesterday which meant up at 6.15 to leave home for 6.45. Then I nearly got locked in school at 6pm as they lock up early on Fridays ha and it was incredibly windy on the 1hr-15min cycle home so was SHATTERED by the time I got home last night :redface:

Have you signed the contract and paid rent starting on the 1st? If so, there is no way the estate agent can do that to you - they HAVE to pay for a hotel for you I'm sure. Screw the other tenants tbh.....young children can live in a hotel/with friends I'm sure. This is the estate agent's problem.

Well that's what I assumed but apparently not, I told/asked the agents to convey this to the tenants and I just got back that no they wouldn't be doing it and the estate agents wouldn't pay either so now I'm just waiting, as its probably going to be next weekend now.

Anyway...I'm Gloucestershire, you? Went to look round a lovely school today, so fingers crossed, and seeing another one tomorrow. But yes, the inability to go visit schools beforehand was a massive issue for me.

I feel really unprepared for supply :frown: Have been looking at books on Amazon, have you got any yet? Feel like if i could just read a "supply for dummies" type book I'd feel a lot better. Thinking on my feet and coming up with good activities at the last minute is not my forte, which is unfortunate for a supply teacher! Also, have registered with 2 supply agencies, but haven't really heard anything from either yet - one not even a confirmation email! V odd. The other emailed me a job today - 19 hours a week as a TA....

I'm in London so luckily we're not stealing each others jobs! :biggrin: How come there's already job vacancies out?? I've been looking everyday this week and nothing is advertised for primary, its all secondary (well, there's a few for primary but not ideal locations whereas loads for secondary) so you're lucky that where you are there's stuff advertised. I hate the whole visiting schools thing as it feels so fake and I hate the fact that heads won't even consider your application if you haven't visited because having an inability to visit doesn't mean that you're a bad teacher. Gah.

I'm glad you've said that about supply, I've looked at books on Amazon and haven't bought anything yet as I don't know what to get!! I just want a guide book or something that tells me what the hell I'm supposed to be doing and how it all works because it wasn't mentioned once on my PGCE as there was only chat about starting your NQT year in September, but all of us who weren't local (there was a big Scottish/N Irish/Irish group at my uni as we were near a major airport) don't have jobs as we wanted to move locations and they just didn't tell you anything about it. I've registered with two, I've found you have to be quite pushy and annoy them with phone calls etc but tbh I'm not expecting much.... I hate reading the TES forums as its so damn depressing with people basically being like "there's no work at all for primary supply, don't expect anything blah blah" and whilst I'm prepared for that aspect I just need a bit of optimism to tell me that its gonna be okay and I'm not going to be unemployed for life! Which books are you looking at on Amazon? The problem I've got is that all of the "100 lessons" books are aimed at a particular age group and I'm not buying R-Y6 on the off chance I'll need them one day.... my uni library had loads of books, its so annoying we can't use them now we've finished as it'd be an ideal time to try and use a uni library now!

Good luck! We'll get there eventually! I hope! :smile:
Original post by dobbs

Original post by dobbs
As maker of the thread, I vote for any colour other than pink :tongue: Not that I don't like pink or am not comfortable with my sexuality, I just don't want pink. You can choose which, maybe Green? Yes...green (as a geographer green and blue are the key colours...if you can't figure out why then go back to school!) :smile:

I pretty much have a geography degree too :p: anthropology = human geography..... but yeah, green and blue are my favourite colours too but the problem is that my TSR is green so if I make the thread green I won't be able to appreciate the pretty colour.... but we can keep changing it whenever we get bored as the colour of the thread is obviously the most important aspect of teaching.
Well that's what I assumed but apparently not, I told/asked the agents to convey this to the tenants and I just got back that no they wouldn't be doing it and the estate agents wouldn't pay either so now I'm just waiting, as its probably going to be next weekend now.

I'm in London so luckily we're not stealing each others jobs! :biggrin: How come there's already job vacancies out?? I've been looking everyday this week and nothing is advertised for primary, its all secondary (well, there's a few for primary but not ideal locations whereas loads for secondary) so you're lucky that where you are there's stuff advertised. I hate the whole visiting schools thing as it feels so fake and I hate the fact that heads won't even consider your application if you haven't visited because having an inability to visit doesn't mean that you're a bad teacher. Gah.

I'm glad you've said that about supply, I've looked at books on Amazon and haven't bought anything yet as I don't know what to get!! I just want a guide book or something that tells me what the hell I'm supposed to be doing and how it all works because it wasn't mentioned once on my PGCE as there was only chat about starting your NQT year in September, but all of us who weren't local (there was a big Scottish/N Irish/Irish group at my uni as we were near a major airport) don't have jobs as we wanted to move locations and they just didn't tell you anything about it. I've registered with two, I've found you have to be quite pushy and annoy them with phone calls etc but tbh I'm not expecting much.... I hate reading the TES forums as its so damn depressing with people basically being like "there's no work at all for primary supply, don't expect anything blah blah" and whilst I'm prepared for that aspect I just need a bit of optimism to tell me that its gonna be okay and I'm not going to be unemployed for life! Which books are you looking at on Amazon? The problem I've got is that all of the "100 lessons" books are aimed at a particular age group and I'm not buying R-Y6 on the off chance I'll need them one day.... my uni library had loads of books, its so annoying we can't use them now we've finished as it'd be an ideal time to try and use a uni library now!

Good luck! We'll get there eventually! I hope! :smile:

One job (which I'm really keen on) is for after half term start - the teacher is moving away I think. Strange time for a change of teacher but it happens I guess. The others are long term sick cover or maternity leave. Ideally I want something permanent but if I can get a maternity for 6 months that's a good start...there's always the chance the teacher won't come back after!

Yeah the 100 lesson ones do look good but like you I refuse to buy R-Y6! There's 2 I like the look of - 100 ideas for primary supply teachers, and Classroom gems, which could also be useful as a non-supply teacher. There's also the ultimate supply teachers handbook. Dunno what to get :frown: And yes, the TES website is DEPRESSING about supply....tho I get the impression most of the ppl on there have chosen to go down the supply route permanently rather than NQTs who can't get a job.

One job (which I'm really keen on) is for after half term start - the teacher is moving away I think. Strange time for a change of teacher but it happens I guess. The others are long term sick cover or maternity leave. Ideally I want something permanent but if I can get a maternity for 6 months that's a good start...there's always the chance the teacher won't come back after!

That's what I'm holding out for although I've accepted that it might be this time next year before I can start my NQT year because doesn't the contract need to be 2 terms from the start to be counted for induction? So if you got a job from October half term through to the Easter holidays (likely) then I don't think that would count. I'm not sure though and I'm scared about starting supply as that starts the 16 month clock ticking.

Is this one for after half term permanent? That'd be amazing if it is! I just can't find ANY job vacancies I can apply for beyond a couple on the TES. Its odd because I've seen a few that are looking for teachers with X amount of experience but surely they'd be caught up in a contract now as like you've said its unlikely that people will move jobs at half term or something, so the main pool of applicants will presumably be NQTs anyway.

Yeah the 100 lesson ones do look good but like you I refuse to buy R-Y6! There's 2 I like the look of - 100 ideas for primary supply teachers, and Classroom gems, which could also be useful as a non-supply teacher. There's also the ultimate supply teachers handbook. Dunno what to get :frown: And yes, the TES website is DEPRESSING about supply....tho I get the impression most of the ppl on there have chosen to go down the supply route permanently rather than NQTs who can't get a job.

I've had a look on the council library websites but they don't seem to cater for teachers so I don't really know what to do. I might go to Waterstones and have a look at the books they've got then decide which one looks the most useful - will let you know. I've got approaching £100 Amazon vouchers from TSR modding to use so I guess I could just buy all of them and call it a present from admin but there's better things I want to spend my money on! And thanks for echoing my feelings about the TES - it surely can't be as awful as they all make out, can it?? Like, I've sort of accepted the possibility that I might be flogging a dead horse and might just be seriously unemployed until I get a proper teaching job but I don't want to keep reading how bad it is.... although at the same time I do keep reading it as I've picked up useful information about how supply works in terms of pay etc. Have you considered going into local schools and saying you're an NQT just moved to the area and looking for work etc.... my friend did that 2 years ago and ended up being offered a term temp contract then it was made permanent but I don't know whether schools would just get annoyed with someone who did that!
That's what I'm holding out for although I've accepted that it might be this time next year before I can start my NQT year because doesn't the contract need to be 2 terms from the start to be counted for induction? So if you got a job from October half term through to the Easter holidays (likely) then I don't think that would count. I'm not sure though and I'm scared about starting supply as that starts the 16 month clock ticking.

Is this one for after half term permanent? That'd be amazing if it is! I just can't find ANY job vacancies I can apply for beyond a couple on the TES. Its odd because I've seen a few that are looking for teachers with X amount of experience but surely they'd be caught up in a contract now as like you've said its unlikely that people will move jobs at half term or something, so the main pool of applicants will presumably be NQTs anyway.

I've had a look on the council library websites but they don't seem to cater for teachers so I don't really know what to do. I might go to Waterstones and have a look at the books they've got then decide which one looks the most useful - will let you know. I've got approaching £100 Amazon vouchers from TSR modding to use so I guess I could just buy all of them and call it a present from admin but there's better things I want to spend my money on! And thanks for echoing my feelings about the TES - it surely can't be as awful as they all make out, can it?? Like, I've sort of accepted the possibility that I might be flogging a dead horse and might just be seriously unemployed until I get a proper teaching job but I don't want to keep reading how bad it is.... although at the same time I do keep reading it as I've picked up useful information about how supply works in terms of pay etc. Have you considered going into local schools and saying you're an NQT just moved to the area and looking for work etc.... my friend did that 2 years ago and ended up being offered a term temp contract then it was made permanent but I don't know whether schools would just get annoyed with someone who did that!

I don't think you do need 2 terms in a school to count as induction, I think it's more like half a term....I don't actually know though.

I looked in Smiths, Waterstones where I live has shut down unfortunately, smiths did not have any supply teacher books. The big on in Cheltenham had a few "100 lessons for 5-6year olds" books, but none specifically for supply. So I guess it has to be amazon, which is annoying as you can't look through them before you buy!
Reply 15
I pretty much have a geography degree too :p: anthropology = human geography..... but yeah, green and blue are my favourite colours too but the problem is that my TSR is green so if I make the thread green I won't be able to appreciate the pretty colour.... but we can keep changing it whenever we get bored as the colour of the thread is obviously the most important aspect of teaching.

Yeah my TSR is blue hence why I chose green as the thread! :biggrin:

I don't think you do need 2 terms in a school to count as induction, I think it's more like half a term....I don't actually know though.

I looked in Smiths, Waterstones where I live has shut down unfortunately, smiths did not have any supply teacher books. The big on in Cheltenham had a few "100 lessons for 5-6year olds" books, but none specifically for supply. So I guess it has to be amazon, which is annoying as you can't look through them before you buy!

I'm not sure, I'm sure I read somewhere that for something to be considered as part of your NQT year it had to be for a prolonged period of time. Okay, just checked on TES and its a term either full time or part time, so neither of us were right! If you were employed for 1 day a week but for a term or longer then that would class as part of NQT induction but if you do supply and get 1 day a week of work in different schools, then this would be non induction supply work as the school hadn't asked you to be there regularly for an entire term.

As an NQT doing non induction supply work there is a 16 month limit from the day you do your first day of supply even if you then do no more for another year. Once you reach the 16 months you then are only eligible to do work that counts towards your induction year but you can apply for an extension of up to 12 months from the LA.

Jobs have started to come out in my area now which is exciting, going to visit some schools next week. How are you getting on with yours? I'm getting pretty scared about the observed lessons as I haven't been in school for so long that I'm scared I will have forgotten how to be a teacher!

In terms of the books, I haven't had chance to go to Waterstones yet and probably won't until next week now but when I do go I'll let you know which books I'm probably going to buy from Amazon after having looked at them in the shop :smile:
Original post by dobbs

Original post by dobbs
Yeah my TSR is blue hence why I chose green as the thread! :biggrin:

I gave you green :biggrin:
Maybe I'll get bored in a bit and change it to something else pretty!

Hope school is going well :smile:
Reply 18
I gave you green :biggrin:
Maybe I'll get bored in a bit and change it to something else pretty!

Hope school is going well :smile:

Yup I've settled into the 11hr days now, but just realised that I haven't really started marking books, marking homeworks, writing reports, carrying out pastoral duties (checking tutor group attendance/punctuality/behaviour/contacting parents), planning "Open evening", planning the after-school geography club, planning sessions for the indoor-rowing club, aaaaand I've not even started my Masters yet which will be every Thursday evening taken out of my planning time.

WOOHOO :rolleyes: haha why do we do this?!
Don't kill yourself. If you're doing the masters, trying to max it out with afterschool clubs etc probably needs to take a back burner..... especially as you are still getting used to the load as an NQT. I'm having to scale back a bit this year to keep on top of my Masters workload.

One of the things i've learned in the last few years is to plan out coursework WELL ahead..... last 2 Aprils have been insane with marking (like 17hr days for 3 weeks) so i'm already getting my yr11s sorted NOW rather than leaving it till the last moment.

Latest