Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bristol Medicine Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zakiman)
    I know an admissions tutor :ninja:
    Please shed some light !
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They dont use the Ukcat and they only need AAB so does that mean they are really really competitive?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by levantine)
    They dont use the Ukcat and they only need AAB so does that mean they are really really competitive?
    Also wondering this
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by levantine)

(Original post by ssss)
    Also wondering this
    Apparently that's the reason they get so many applicants... :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hiii, I'm going to Bristol in two weeks to start studying medicine - so I was in your place this time last year! There might be a difference between the website and prospectus because the website may have not been updated from last year. I would go with the prospectus because it will have been newly printed for this year (as long as it says 2012/13 entry on it). Also, I know some people who got rejected last year and one of the things Bristol said in the rejection email was that most people who get places achieve above AAB in their A Levels (but obviously that wasn't the only deciding factor). They talked about my reference from school in my interview and also asked me questions that sounded like they had my personal statement right in front of them! So, if possible make sure you have a really distinctive reference from school - your teachers know the qualities people are looking for in potential doctors and can help you get your place!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd freaking love to go to Bristol, I've heard so many great things about it and think it's a brilliant place BUT... I think it may be a waste of an option as I got 703 avg in my UKCAT which is a pretty good score... So applying to Bristol who don't even look at UKCAT seems a bit silly. Especially as I'm also going for one BMAT uni.

How exactly do they decide who to interview/offer a place?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm also wondering what Bristol use to decide who to interview etc. As no entrance exam's needed, I'm assuming PS, reference and predicted grades will play a big part? I just can't figure out the degree to which each of those is important.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    First of all HELLO I have just e-mailed bristol admissions service about ukcat but couldn't get a reply. Therefore ı thought you guys should be well-informed about their UKCAT consideration. My question is actually do they?
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cansu Ayten Tatar)
    First of all HELLO I have just e-mailed bristol admissions service about ukcat but couldn't get a reply. Therefore ı thought you guys should be well-informed about their UKCAT consideration. My question is actually do they?
    Bristol is one of 3 UK uni's that don't use the UKCAT
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which ones are the rest ? I guess ı know Birmingham is one of them but the third?
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cansu Ayten Tatar)
    Which ones are the rest ? I guess ı know Birmingham is one of them but the third?
    Liverpool
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    Liverpool

Oh thanks a lot ı guess liverpool requires at least 9 gcses
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly they mark each deciding factor - your ps, your top 8 gcses, your reference, and your predicted grades to decide who to interview. They interview 40% of applicants.
    Is this true? And do they also look at AS's?
    How exactly do they mark them - which is most important?

Gutted I couldn't make the open day... heard it's a beautiful city though
    Anyone know what grades at GCSE and AS an average successful applicant has? I like the look of Bristol, but I really have no idea how they decide who to admitt.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Went to the open day today and loved it Will definitely be applying.

They said they mark candidates on the following:
    20% grades (8% GCSE, 12% predictions. They said they take predictions to be more important than AS results?)
    80% personal statement.

No pressure at all to get the 'perfect' personal statement then :lol:
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Went to the open day today and loved it Will definitely be applying.

They said they mark candidates on the following:
    20% grades (8% GCSE, 12% predictions. They said they take predictions to be more important than AS results?)
    80% personal statement.

No pressure at all to get the 'perfect' personal statement then :lol:

Thank you very much for shedding some light unto us.
    If my PS is cracking, then I may apply here.

Btw, I like your username, sounds really cool when saying it
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    Thank you very much for shedding some light unto us.
    If my PS is cracking, then I may apply here.

Btw, I like your username, sounds really cool when saying it
    That's quite all right Before the open day, I really didn't have a clue as to what they look at, as their prospectus doesn't say a thing :lol:
    One thing I forgot to ask was, out of the 80% given to the PS, where does the reference come in? Although I suppose the PS will always be the most important thing.

And thank you very much :p:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    Do Bristol have any policy against students with all science subjects?? (bio chem phys maths)
    As I know someone who applied (2011 entry) with 11A*s at gcse, AAAA at AS, with A*A*A*A* predicted, but did all science subjects and got rejected before interview. (he's off to oxbridge anyways).
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex J)
    Hey everyone,
    Do Bristol have any policy against students with all science subjects?? (bio chem phys maths)
    As I know someone who applied (2011 entry) with 11A*s at gcse, AAAA at AS, with A*A*A*A* predicted, but did all science subjects and got rejected before interview. (he's off to oxbridge anyways).
    I overheard someone at the open day ask almost exactly this, and they said they didn't really care about your 3rd (or 3rd&4th) subject, as long as you have biology and chemistry and your 3rd isn't general studies.
    They only consider grades to be 20% of the application, too. It could be that their PS just wasn't good enough.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex J)
    Hey everyone,
    I am going to Bristol next week to study medicine and I took those subjects so i assume they don't have a policy against this.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hey guys! I have my Alevel at A*AB and physics AS at B. but I am starting to get a little worried because i have E at EPQ. Do you guys think this E will ruin my chance of geting invited for an interview.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 14, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.