The Student Room Group

Bristol Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
does anyone know if there is any truth in the runour that bristol (like liverpool) counts an a and a* at gcse as the same? so they would judge 8a*s and 8as equally? thanks

also, is anyone applying to a pbl course? really not sure what to make of them
Original post by Alex J
I don't think it was his personal statement/reference, because he had so much good stuff to mention. I have heard, however, that Bristol have a tendency to reject applicants who they believe are oxbridge applicants (and therefore have Bristol down at their 2nd choice, or even their safe option). This could be from communicating with oxbridge directly, or if the personal statement is particularly 'oxbridgey' with lots of stuff about medical research, and a lot of science, they might make an educated guess. This could explain what happened to the person I know, but I don't know for sure if this is actually what happens. I'm just speculating.

To be fair, the fact you have a lot in your PS doesn't automatically make it a good one. One thing they very much emphasise is reflection; I'd imagine it'd be very easy to just list things, especially if you have work experience overload :p:

Then again, his PS could have been fine and you could be right.. who knows :p: Was he not offered feedback, like Edinburgh do?
7A* at igcse and an A at o'level is not enough for their igcse requirement?
Reply 43
Original post by levantine
They dont use the Ukcat and they only need AAB so does that mean they are really really competitive?

The entry requirement is AAA or A*AB. NOT AAB.

AAB is mentioned in the 2011 prospectus. Look for the 2012 entry requirements and it states AAA or A*AB. I have also confirmed this with the Admissions tutor. :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Cansu Ayten Tatar
Which ones are the rest ? I guess ı know Birmingham is one of them but the third?

The following Universities do not take UKCAT:

Univeristy of Bristol

University of Liverpool

University of Lancaster

University of Birmingham

Reply 45
Original post by baconcornflakes
Hiii, I'm going to Bristol in two weeks to start studying medicine - so I was in your place this time last year! There might be a difference between the website and prospectus because the website may have not been updated from last year. I would go with the prospectus because it will have been newly printed for this year (as long as it says 2012/13 entry on it). Also, I know some people who got rejected last year and one of the things Bristol said in the rejection email was that most people who get places achieve above AAB in their A Levels (but obviously that wasn't the only deciding factor). They talked about my reference from school in my interview and also asked me questions that sounded like they had my personal statement right in front of them! So, if possible make sure you have a really distinctive reference from school - your teachers know the qualities people are looking for in potential doctors and can help you get your place!

Original post by Peter_Petrelli
I am going to Bristol next week to study medicine and I took those subjects so i assume they don't have a policy against this.

Hey, could you please shed some light onto the type of questions they ask at Interview please ? :smile:

If you could list a few, that would be splendid ! :biggrin:
Original post by arsi123

Univeristy of Bristol

University of Liverpool

University of Lancaster

University of Birmingham

Are you sure about Lancaster???????
Reply 47
Original post by arsi123

Univeristy of Bristol

University of Liverpool

University of Lancaster

University of Birmingham

not sure you're correct about lancaster... the other 3 are correct though :smile:
Reply 48
University of Lancaster is not on this UKCAT list of Universities which take UKCAT. "http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=ukCatUniversities"

Also, the University of Lancaster's website doesn't state the need for UKCAT in its entry requirements either. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I think I'm applying here :smile: if I'm predicted any A*s e.g A*AA, are they likely to be included in my offer? Or is it just that they only offer people AAA or A*AB?
Reply 50
Original post by brighteyes1994
I think I'm applying here :smile: if I'm predicted any A*s e.g A*AA, are they likely to be included in my offer? Or is it just that they only offer people AAA or A*AB?

I think only AAA or A*AB. :smile:

So if you get A*AA, you'll be doubly fine. :biggrin:
I'm applying to Bristol ! I'm so happy that there' s finally a thread!
:smile:
Reply 52
What are Bristol looking for in a Personal Statement ? :confused:

Everyone I know who applied there last year failed to even get an interview, including me. :mad:

:K:
Reply 53
Original post by MedicineBug
I'm applying to Bristol ! I'm so happy that there' s finally a thread!
:smile:

Me too!! :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by jasqur

Me three. :wink:
Original post by jasqur

Good to hear! How's your application going?
Reply 56
Original post by MedicineBug
Good to hear! How's your application going?

I'm sending in my application on monday as i'm applying independantly. Bristol is definitely one of my top choices but i'm just worried it's too competitive... :/ oh well we shall se how it all works out.... btw do you know the ratio of applicants per offer/place?
How's your application going?

good luck! :smile:
Original post by jasqur
I'm sending in my application on monday as i'm applying independantly. Bristol is definitely one of my top choices but i'm just worried it's too competitive... :/ oh well we shall se how it all works out.... btw do you know the ratio of applicants per offer/place?
How's your application going?

good luck! :smile:

I'm also applying independently, hoping to send my application by next Friday.
There has been a lot of discussion on here as to which offer/applicants ratio is correct. Some are saying 1:8, others 1:10 or even 1:17.
Here's the thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1387408

Good luck!
Applied here yesterday :smile:!
Original post by arsi123
University of Lancaster is not on this UKCAT list of Universities which take UKCAT. "http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=ukCatUniversities"

Also, the University of Lancaster's website doesn't state the need for UKCAT in its entry requirements either. :smile:

lancaster and liverpool are same uni for medicine. like hull york

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending