The Student Room Group

Soft A Levels?

I keep getting told that my choices are 'soft' when other people keep saying they are not. Also I keep getting told that Psychology is 'very soft' and yet haven't seen it on any of the lists. And Yes I have seen the lists, well the LSE one anyway.

I'm going to do:

English Literature

Economics

Philosophy

Psychology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are you planning on studying at uni?
Reply 2
English and Economics aren't soft at all, Psychology is considered to be by some people, and I'm not sure about philosophy.

I'd say as long as you continue English and Economics into A2, and so have 2 strong ones, you won't have a problem.
Original post by Samc12
I keep getting told that my choices are 'soft' when other people keep saying they are not. Also I keep getting told that Psychology is 'very soft' and yet haven't seen it on any of the lists. And Yes I have seen the lists, well the LSE one anyway.

I'm going to do:

English Literature

Economics

Philosophy

Psychology

English is NOT soft
Economics is NOT soft
Philosophy is NOT soft
Psychology is neither soft, nor hard...it is Memory Foam!

Drop phil, take a science based subject
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by viksta1000

OR Maths...
Reply 5

Philosophy IS soft
P

Source please?
English Lit - Hard
Economics - Hard
Philosophy - Hard
Psychology - Semisoft

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Actually, Philosophy is a traditional subject, it's not soft. Cambridge puts in in their "A" bracket.
English is NOT soft
Economics is NOT soft
Philosophy IS soft

umad?:colone: Philosophy is not softer than Psychology, and is in List 1 of the Cambridge preferred subjects.

Philosophy IS soft

No it is not.

Psychology is the only soft subject there, OP; if you keep the other three you're fine with that combination.

Philosophy IS soft

Not according to Trinity..

Considered to be a "Generally Suitable Arts A-Level". Alongside Economics and English Literature.

If you have no interest in studying a Science and you'd rather study Philosophy then that's what you should do.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Samc12

I'm going to do:

English Literature

Economics

Philosophy

Psychology

Philosophy is considered as strong as English Lit, Maths or any of the sciences believe it or not so it IS strong.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
No it is not.
Psychology is the only soft subject there, OP; if you keep the other three you're fine with that combination.

Original post by Tsunami2011
umad?:colone: Philosophy is not softer than Psychology, and is in List 1 of the Cambridge preferred subjects.

Original post by Samc12
Source please?

lol, my bad...I wrote "IS" instead of "is NOT"

I think I should have been more clearer as to why I said drop Phil...Philosophy take a lot of work, its mostly writing, analyzing and essay based, the amount of work you put into Philosophy does not generate the respect from Universities that it deserves as opposed to doing something like Chemistry or Maths...hence why I said drop is an take a different subject
Reply 13
Original post by Samc12

I'm going to do:

English Literature

Economics

Philosophy

Psychology

Softish subjects:

Archaeology (Arch & Anth)

Art & Design (Architecture/History of Art)

Business Studies (Economics)

Design & Technology (Architecture)

Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)

Electronics (Engineering)

English Language (Arts)

Film Studies (Arts)

Government & Politics (Arts)

Law (Law)

Media Studies (Arts)

Psychology (Arts)

Sociology (Arts)

Soft subjects:

Accounting

Citizenship

Communication Studies

Critical Thinking

Dance

General Studies

Health & Social Care

Home Economics

ICT

Leisure Studies

Music Technology

Performance Studies

Performing Arts

Photography

Physical Education

Sports Studies

Travel & Tourism

So it looks like psychology is the only arguably 'soft' subject of yours, however, it can also be classed as a science-related subject by many universities. I advise going to perhaps a bio/chem/physics/maths lesson during your sixth form's cooling period and consider picking one of those sciences up instead of psychology. Completely your choice though, choose what you feel you'll excel in.
:smile:

I think I should have been more clearer as to why I said drop Phil...Philosophy take a lot of work, its mostly writing, analyzing and essay based

As are the other 3 subjects he has chosen.
Reply 16
English is NOT soft
Economics is NOT soft
Philosophy is NOT soft

I dunno if it makes much difference, or whatever- but I'm also doing the EPQ as well.
Clearly you're more of an essay based student, but if you're going to ask anyone on TSR the only hard, credible subjects are the sciences. Maybe replace Psychology with History and then you'll have some really strong A-level choices.
(edited 12 years ago)

I think I should have been more clearer as to why I said drop Phil...Philosophy take a lot of work, its mostly writing, analyzing and essay based, the amount of work you put into Philosophy does not generate the respect from Universities that it deserves as opposed to doing something like Chemistry or Maths...hence why I said drop is an take a different subject

edit: lol ignore me, you're commenting on the workload.

I humbly apologise.
(edited 12 years ago)
It always confuses me when people say that Philosophy is considered a soft subject. The difference between 'hard' and 'soft' subjects, to me, has always seemed to be how 'traditional' they are, and Philosophy was one of the first subjects to be taught at universities, so it can hardly be called a non-traditional subject...

Personally, OP, I think you'll be fine with your subjects. You have three traditional subjects, and every university list I've ever looked at has put Psychology in its middle list, so in combination with three solid, respected subjects, I don't see why you'd have a problem. It seems like a good combination of subjects, too - what is it you're interested in studying? :smile:

(I actually only realised that I'm doing 3/4 of the same subjects as you - don't know why that took so long to click. :lol:)

Quick Reply

Latest