The Student Room Group

Should I be totally honest in the disability section?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by River85

And as for Chaplain's "shagging" people. I strongly suggest you don't make such allegations unless you want to be on the receiving end of a libel case.

The Daily Mail and Private Eye got away with it - see http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-109588211.html - and I am not aware of any libel actions.
Original post by sohoscribbler
I wouldn't want to discourage someone from going to a British university because of a disability alone. However I would give you the same advice I would give anyone, disabled or not. Double-check any information the university provides and get everything in writing.

Also remember that however alluring the prospectus, there is no concept of student welfare at British universities. For example, when I wrote to the college chaplain asking for her prayers after my parents died unexpectedly, she could not be bothered to reply. Despite being married to someone else, she was too busy shagging another don. Also when a student commits suicide - which is quite a common occurrence - the natural instinct of the institution is not to investigate the causes and try to prevent it happening again but to intimidate anyone from talking to the press.

And take my advice that total honesty is the very last thing you can expect from an admissions tutor.

The bit in bold isn't really true, at least not for me. I've had nothing but help from my university, I got an email and a letter telling me to go in to the disability office in my first week, I got details of reasonable adjustments and a letter about the student mental health service.
Original post by diamonddust
The bit in bold isn't really true, at least not for me. I've had nothing but help from my university, I got an email and a letter telling me to go in to the disability office in my first week, I got details of reasonable adjustments and a letter about the student mental health service.

Well, good luck and I hope it works out for you. It generally does for most people and academic institutions have a legal obligation to do at least the bare minimum to accommodate students with disabilities.

However the test is not whether the system supports the majority but whether it steps in to help minorities and those who require more than the bare minimum. In this respect, good luck.
Tell us all how it worked out. I would say there is a need for total disclosure only if there is an ongoing problem that may affect your ability to perform studies. Otherwise, I would keep it quiet. Good luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks for all the responses. I've been in regular counselling since the beginning of August and that has been really helping me. I am concerned though that should I have to drop out soon, things will quickly deteriorate again. I am considering talking to my UCAS mentor about their opinion on disclosure, or another teacher at school who is already aware of my diagnosis of chronic depression as I am still undecided about what to do.
I didn't disclose my depression on my UCAS form as my school were against me doing so. I was going to simply tick the box and not give any further details unless asked, but ended up leaving it blank.

I did regret going along with the school's advice, as when it came to summer I was worrying about whether they'd take it into account as exceptional/mitigating circumstances if I missed my offer by a grade, and I wished I had disclosed it earlier so they wouldn't think I was using it as an excuse (however I did contact the unis directly a week or so prior to results and essentially disclose it myself).

They can't discriminate on the basis of disability, and I'm not sure they see that part of the form until after they've made their decision.

Also, since I have now disclosed, it's been useful as I've used the evidence (I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, depression and anorexia) to apply for DSA, and they're offering quite a lot of things which will definitely be helpful but which I probably wouldn't have bought myself because I don't have the spare cash.

In short - if you want to (and the fact that you've posted this question suggests that you're thinking about it), do.
It's a tough one. I would err on the side of being honest from the outset as:

1. Do you really want to be in a place that treats students with illnesses or disabilities with contempt?

2. If anything goes wrong with your course you can be very sure that the university - which almost certainly has more firepower than you - will use your application against you if you dare raise a complaint.

3. Er, IM me because I have similar experience.
I wish you luck. You will need it.
Yes, and do not trust any verbal agreement from the university. Get everything in writing.
Reply 29
Original post by sohoscribbler
It's a tough one. I would err on the side of being honest from the outset as:

1. Do you really want to be in a place that treats students with illnesses or disabilities with contempt?

2. If anything goes wrong with your course you can be very sure that the university - which almost certainly has more firepower than you - will use your application against you if you dare raise a complaint.

3. Er, IM me because I have similar experience.

Your bitterness is getting tiresome.

I have nothing but praise for the way I have been supported by my uni from day 1. I disclosed on the UCAS form so they had plenty of time to set up support procedures.

Your experiences are not representative so stop thread crapping on this forum.
Original post by kevin6767
Speaking as someone who suffers from similar issues you should not note it down on your UCAS form. Firstly if a university accepts you and you firm that university they will generally ask for evidence of this. The university will also want to know why you haven't applied for Disability Student Allowance if you note it down, something you can only do with a letter from your doctor. To me it would look a little odd that you say you suffer from depression with no medical evidence if I was in the university's shoes.
Secondly, although you say you suffer from chronic depression how do you know this besides self diagnosis? If you have been feeling depressed for such a long time you maybe bi polar for instance. Some people say they are depressed when really they are just mildly unhappy for a short period. If you have felt this way for so long then chances are you do have mental health issues but without proper diagnosis you have nothing to back up what you are claiming in the systems eyes.

As I have already stated twice in earlier posts I do have a diagnosis of chronic depression.
Put it down since they can offer you help and if you don't want help you can simply decline it or get it at a later date if things get worse.
Original post by Unconventional.
Thanks for all the responses. I've been in regular counselling since the beginning of August and that has been really helping me. I am concerned though that should I have to drop out soon, things will quickly deteriorate again. I am considering talking to my UCAS mentor about their opinion on disclosure, or another teacher at school who is already aware of my diagnosis of chronic depression as I am still undecided about what to do.

Speak to an expert and get everything in writing. It might work out.
Probably not, but you never know.
I would encourage you to approach the Disability Service at whatever university you end up at, and disclose - I work for a Disability Service, and there is a wealth of support ready and waiting for you.....but as I keep saying to students, if you don't make us aware you need support, we can not help.

I hope it all works out for you, and you have an enjoyable and empowering few years studying :-)
So how did it all pan out?

Quick Reply

Latest