The Student Room Group

Do Uni's keep your UKCAT score if you've done it more than ONCE?

Do universities keep your UKCAT score for future reference? As in I applied to do medicine in the 1st year of my engineering degree and I didn't even try too hard. I got the average score. I applied because my dad wanted me to get in. Now I'm worried I'll have "non commitment" branded on me if apply as well.

I want to know if I apply again will they look at my UKCAT score I did 2 years ago?

Scroll to see replies

They shouldn't do.
Plus how the hell would they have the time to look up if:
1) every applicant had applied to them before.
2) What they got in their UKCAT
3) If it was worse than this years

Some people on here think admissions staff have way more time than they actually have :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Facebook
Do universities keep your UKCAT score for future reference? As in I applied to do medicine in the 1st year of my engineering degree and I didn't even try too hard. I got the average score. I applied because my dad wanted me to get in. Now I'm worried I'll have "non commitment" branded on me if apply as well.

I want to know if I apply again will they look at my UKCAT score I did 2 years ago?

Just wondering why were you thinking about medicine in the 1st year of another degree?

Also just to stress to you, dont apply to medicine if you have the case "my dad wanted me to get in"!
Reply 3
Original post by joemullally
They shouldn't do.
Plus how the hell would they have the time to look up if:
1) every applicant had applied to them before.
2) What they got in their UKCAT
3) If it was worse than this years

Some people on here think admissions staff have way more time than they actually have :P

To be honest because its kept on computers and databases I thought it would be really easy to look up if you had applied before. I just wasn't sure.
To be honest because its kept on computers and databases I thought it would be really easy to look up if you had applied before. I just wasn't sure.

It probably would be, but if you did that for every applicant it would soon turn into a massive, time consuming chore.

They've got personal statements to read, interviews to sort out and all the other things uni staff have to do aswell.

Personally I don't see it happening.
Reply 5
Original post by NinjaRikki
Just wondering why were you thinking about medicine in the 1st year of another degree?

Also just to stress to you, dont apply to medicine if you have the case "my dad wanted me to get in"!

The thing was back then I didn't know if I had chosen the right degree plus my parents said you should go into medicine so I applied on the off chance that I might get in. My grades weren't the most competitive (I had two B's out of a near perfect set of 8 Highers) but my fifth year results let me down massively (3 A's at Higher and 2 A's at int 2.)

But having thought about it quite seriously, for the past year or two, I decided I would love it.
Reply 6
It probably would be, but if you did that for every applicant it would soon turn into a massive, time consuming chore.

They've got personal statements to read, interviews to sort out and all the other things uni staff have to do aswell.

Personally I don't see it happening.

I suppose I was being just a tad paranoid. Since I'm serious about it now, I just want to know everything. I've heard its really hard to get in but not impossible. I would just like it if nothing disadvantaged me.
I suppose I was being just a tad paranoid. Since I'm serious about it now, I just want to know everything. I've heard its really hard to get in but not impossible. I would just like it if nothing disadvantaged me.

Aye, I hope it goes well for you.
Any glitch in your application can come back and bite you in the bum.
It's competitive but as you said not impossible :biggrin:
good luck.
Reply 8

Any glitch in your application can come back and bite you in the bum.

Do you really think so? This is what is worrying me.
Reply 9

Lol, no. I've sent off 4 applications and not once has a uni come back to me and said commented on how my UKCAT score has dropped every year haha :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by Ayshizzle
Lol, no. I've sent off 4 applications and not once has a uni come back to me and said commented on how my UKCAT score has dropped every year haha :wink:

That's good. Because I didn't even try to get a decent score. My first year engineering course was busy as an engineering course can be. I kind of wish I had a better score. I didn't even try the mock exam on the website :frown:

I went in and they gave me a whiteboard, a pen and a crappy calculator from the 70s. I was like :lolwut:
That's good. Because I didn't even try to get a decent score. My first year engineering course was busy as an engineering course can be. I kind of wish I had a better score. I didn't even try the mock exam on the website :frown:

I went in and they gave me a whiteboard, a pen and a crappy calculator from the 70s. I was like :lolwut:

Yeahh I've had varying levels of success with it, mainly due to how much other stuff I had going on at the time. Have you done yours yet? Are you applying as a grad btw?
Reply 12
Yeahh I've had varying levels of success with it, mainly due to how much other stuff I had going on at the time. Have you done yours yet? Are you applying as a grad btw?

Yep, I'm applying as a graduate.

I haven't sat mine yet. Have you? Are you a graduate too?
(edited 12 years ago)
Yep, I'm applying as a graduate.

I haven't sat mine yet. Have you? Are you a graduate too?

I did mine about this time last year! I applied as a grad for dentistry, starting at Newcastle in a couple of weeks :biggrin:
Reply 14
I did mine about this time last year! I applied as a grad for dentistry, starting at Newcastle in a couple of weeks :biggrin:

Oh congrats! you actually got in? What was the process like and what was your UKCAT scores?
Reply 15

Did you get in? I admire your commitment :love:
Oh congrats! you actually got in? What was the process like and what was your UKCAT scores?

Yep! Finally lol! It was pretty hard, although I've actually been through it before (but for medicine). To cut a long story short, I applied for medicine when I was in U6 and got offers, but missed my grades. Started a biomed degree at Leeds but hated it and so kept trying to transfer, and Sheffield liked me so much at interview the previous year they offered me a transfer place, providing I resat ABB to AAA. As I had to do this at the same time as my uni exams I only managed AAB :frown: and they said no, understandably.

Soooo after going out with a dentist and being heavily influenced by him and his friends I got some work exp in dentistry and preferred it to medicine! The application process this year was SO hard, as everyone wanted to get in before the fees rise. I got 2 interviews (Newcastle and Liverpool) and 2 rejections (Sheffield and Leeds). Think the hardest part was getting everything done whilst being at uni- it was so stressful! The interviews are different at a grad level though, they defo challenge you more.

The first time I sat UKCAT (2007) my score was 735, which dropped to 660 in 2009 and in 2010 it was 635. Just be careful where you apply to depending on what score you get, I think there's a wiki on here somewhere telling you how each med school uses the UKCAT
Original post by abc_1234
Did you get in? I admire your commitment :love:

Yes! 4th time lucky lol =D
Reply 18
Yep! Finally lol! It was pretty hard, although I've actually been through it before (but for medicine). To cut a long story short, I applied for medicine when I was in U6 and got offers, but missed my grades. Started a biomed degree at Leeds but hated it and so kept trying to transfer, and Sheffield liked me so much at interview the previous year they offered me a transfer place, providing I resat ABB to AAA. As I had to do this at the same time as my uni exams I only managed AAB :frown: and they said no, understandably.

Soooo after going out with a dentist and being heavily influenced by him and his friends I got some work exp in dentistry and preferred it to medicine! The application process this year was SO hard, as everyone wanted to get in before the fees rise. I got 2 interviews (Newcastle and Liverpool) and 2 rejections (Sheffield and Leeds). Think the hardest part was getting everything done whilst being at uni- it was so stressful! The interviews are different at a grad level though, they defo challenge you more.

The first time I sat UKCAT (2007) my score was 735, which dropped to 660 in 2009 and in 2010 it was 635. Just be careful where you apply to depending on what score you get, I think there's a wiki on here somewhere telling you how each med school uses the UKCAT

Yeah buts its a shame TSR only has them on English uni's, not Scottish ones! However I contacted those uni's a year ago and they gave me great advice on what to do to get in. Seems UKCAT is more important than they make it out to be.

Was it easier trying to get into dentistry than medicine?
Reply 19
Yes! 4th time lucky lol =D

4 times? If rep was real in life I'd definitely give you some.

What kind of work experience did you get? And what extra stuff did you do?

Latest

Trending

Trending