The Student Room Group

Warwick Offers?

I've just seen a few posts in a thread suggesting "Warwick like to give out lots of offers and see who meets them rather than reject people beforehand."

Since I feel that next year I will almost definitely meet offers (i'm more worried about getting them) could anyone confirm how much truth there is behind this?

I only achieved 4 A* GCSE, but AAAAA at AS (Math, Econ, Biol, ICT, Gen Stud)

I am doing Further Math AS and A2 next year also :smile:

I also plan on doing STEP, but will have to mention this in my Personal Statement rather than UCAS since it will be hard for teacher to give predicted grade by the Oct deadline

Jorge x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jorgeyy

Original post by Jorgeyy
I've just seen a few posts in a thread suggesting "Warwick like to give out lots of offers and see who meets them rather than reject people beforehand."

Since I feel that next year I will almost definitely meet offers (i'm more worried about getting them) could anyone confirm how much truth there is behind this?

I also plan on doing STEP, but will have to mention this in my Personal Statement rather than UCAS since it will be hard for teacher to give predicted grade by the Oct deadline

Jorge x

I have 4A* at GCSE too, and last year AAAB at AS (and a D in General Studies :mmm:)-I assume you'll be predicted at least AAA, so you'll be fine :smile:

You don't really need to mention you're planning to do STEP, they'll tell you they want you to do it.
Reply 2
I'll be predicted A*A*A in Math, Econ and Biol and I assume an A in Further Math, perhaps an A* if I am able to convince my teachers (by sitting a past paper before the Oct deadline)

I would like to mention STEP though, since I will be applying to other unis who won't ask me to do it, makes sense right?

Are you heading to Warwick this year then, with 4 A* GCSE and AAAB AS? Sweet!
Reply 3
Original post by jameswhughes
I have 4A* at GCSE too, and last year AAAB at AS (and a D in General Studies :mmm:)-I assume you'll be predicted at least AAA, so you'll be fine :smile:

You don't really need to mention you're planning to do STEP, they'll tell you they want you to do it.

Forgot to quote above ^
Original post by Jorgeyy

Original post by Jorgeyy
Forgot to quote above ^

Yeah, I'll be there in October. :biggrin:

I'm not sure whether it is such a good idea to mention STEP, e.g Imperial sometimes add STEP to their offers, perhaps this is what causes it...also other universities that do not include STEP in their offer will know that you are planning to apply to Warwick/Cambridge, so it won't help your application there-I would expect Warwick/Cambridge to know that you plan on doing STEP if you apply there, otherwise you wouldn't have applied in the first place.
Reply 5
Original post by jameswhughes
Yeah, I'll be there in October. :biggrin:

I'm not sure whether it is such a good idea to mention STEP, e.g Imperial sometimes add STEP to their offers, perhaps this is what causes it...also other universities that do not include STEP in their offer will know that you are planning to apply to Warwick/Cambridge, so it won't help your application there-I would expect Warwick/Cambridge to know that you plan on doing STEP if you apply there, otherwise you wouldn't have applied in the first place.

Ah I see,

I am actually applying to Oxford since I personally prefer it

Do you really think other unis wouldn't give you an offer because they think you are aiming for Cambridge?!
Reply 6
I was predicted A*AB and given an offer with no interview of ABB. :^)
Reply 7
How do you know you are going to defiantly meet your offer. Many people who do very well in A Levels still find STEP very hard.
Original post by Jorgeyy

Jorge x

I believe this to be true. I've heard that maybe 1500 offers are made for 200-300 places.
Original post by Jorgeyy

Original post by Jorgeyy
Ah I see,

I am actually applying to Oxford since I personally prefer it

Do you really think other unis wouldn't give you an offer because they think you are aiming for Cambridge?!

Yeah, perhaps... rumour says that Durham likes to do this :teehee:

As to whether that's true, I don't really know, but I do know a few people who got into Cambridge and rejected from Durham.
At the Open Day they said they give everyone predicted at least three A's an offer :smile:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer
Reply 11
Original post by buttermints
How do you know you are going to defiantly meet your offer. Many people who do very well in A Levels still find STEP very hard.

My offers won't be dependant on STEP

Schemilix wow, that's a great offer!

Ian that's great thanks.
Reply 12
Original post by goldfish134
At the Open Day they said they give everyone predicted at least three A's an offer :smile:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer

Sweet, is that the same for 2012?

Do you know any other top unis with this standard offer ideal?

Thanks x
Original post by Jorgeyy

Thanks x

Yes that's for 2012.

Not sure about other unis though..
Reply 14
Original post by goldfish134
Yes that's for 2012.

Not sure about other unis though..

It is good to know that, in the worst case scenario I will have an offer from Warwick then (although, I admit, I will really have to work to meet it)

Thanks a lot man !
Original post by Jorgeyy
It is good to know that, in the worst case scenario I will have an offer from Warwick then (although, I admit, I will really have to work to meet it)

Thanks a lot man !

I'm in the same position :wink:

No problem :smile:
Original post by Jorgeyy

Jorge x

I can't really help you with their current stance but I can give you my experience when I applied 2 years ago (so before the A* grade came in).

My GCSEs were mainly A*/A grades (I think 4 A*, 6 A and 1 C), my AS grades were AAAAB and I was predicted AAAA, I was also doing STEP 1 & 2. On top of that I had plenty of stuff on my personal statement from outside of academia.

I applied for both Maths and Maths & Stats and got rejected from both without an interview.

A while after that I spoke to a friend of my mums who used to be head of admissions for one of the departments at Warwick (we didn't find that out till after I applied) who said that the only reason he would have rejected the application was due to the GCSE grades. He told us that while Warwick don't officially require any GCSE grades, if you've got less than 8 A* grades then you're unlikely to get an offer, and if you've got less than 6 A* grades then you havn't really got a chance.
Reply 17
Original post by mackemforever
I can't really help you with their current stance but I can give you my experience when I applied 2 years ago (so before the A* grade came in).

My GCSEs were mainly A*/A grades (I think 4 A*, 6 A and 1 C), my AS grades were AAAAB and I was predicted AAAA, I was also doing STEP 1 & 2. On top of that I had plenty of stuff on my personal statement from outside of academia.

I applied for both Maths and Maths & Stats and got rejected from both without an interview.

A while after that I spoke to a friend of my mums who used to be head of admissions for one of the departments at Warwick (we didn't find that out till after I applied) who said that the only reason he would have rejected the application was due to the GCSE grades. He told us that while Warwick don't officially require any GCSE grades, if you've got less than 8 A* grades then you're unlikely to get an offer, and if you've got less than 6 A* grades then you havn't really got a chance.

Thanks for this,

You see... now I have mixed opinions on applying :eek:
Original post by Jorgeyy

Thanks x

Cambridge makes about two offers per place of A*AA 1/1; I think they would say that few candidates they reject would be likely to fill their offer

Oxford makes offers of A*A*A (which I expect are mostly filled) to candidates who interview and Oxford-test well.

Imperial seems to make few offers based on UCAS applications only. Anecdotally they don't like being an insurance to Oxbridge.

Manchester and Bristol tend to invite for 'a chat' and then make a standard offer.

Interestingly, if you look at the proportion of applicants admitted from state school Warwick does quite well.
Reply 19
What?! Warwick wont give offers to those with less than 6 A*s at GCSE and unlikely with less than 8a*s!?

What if you went to a (not so good) comprehensive school and managed to get 6 a* and were predicted A*A*A*B?

Quick Reply

Latest