(Original post by Kidneyjean)
Couldn't see a thread for Cardiff, so here goes!
Anyone who has any useful Cardiff-related application info, feel free to post it here
If you went to the Open Day, how'd you find it? Did everyone's ASs/UKCAT go alright, and how are peoples' statements coming along?
From what I've read, the cycle goes something like this:
1. Academic screening. Anyone who doesn't meet the minimum academic requirements is rejected (bar people with mitigating circumstances).
(GCSE English/Welsh- B, GCSE Maths- B, GCSE Double Science- AA, GCSE Triple Science- AAB, GCE- AAAc with either bio or chem at A2, as well as one other science. If bio or chem aren't taken to A2, they must be at an A grade for AS).
2. Academic ranking. Everyone is ranked according to what they've already acheived
in either GCSE or GCE A2- they don't rank according to ASs or predicted grades. A select proportion are rejected at this stage.
3. Non-academic assessment. PS and reference are scored and ranked on the following:
- Medical motivation and awareness of the career
- Caring ethos and a sense of social awareness
- Sense of responsibility
- Non-academic interests and personal achievements
- Study skills
- Referee’s report
A select proportion are rejected after the ranking.
4. Interviews. UKCAT 'may be used' at this point to make sure that the right number of applicants are interviewed. Interviews are held from November to February, and test whether applicants "have the interpersonal skills to be able to communicate effectively and whether they have a balanced approach to life." The highest scoring applicants get an offer.
Best of luck with applications everyone!