The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Seb
I only have 22 points :angry:

5A*, 5A, 5B. But I only got a B in English and that has got to be added.

Hopefully there is some leniancy as I have mah A Levels. :colone:

There will be.
Reply 81
Original post by x_Melissa_x
I'll be a 1st year Cardiff medic this year so, if anyone has any questions about applying, I'd be happy to (try to) answer them :smile:

By the way, my interview was in April so don't get too stressed if they take forever and a day to get back to you! :tongue:

What are they like with GCSES? Like minimum is not really what they go by is it?
I have 8A's, 7B's. not great but my PS is pretty good, I have AAA at alvl.
I have 4A*s and 5 As as my top 9 GCSEs, but have already got my A levels, AAAb. Not sure whether to apply here or if I'd have a better chance with somewhere that doesn't look at GCSEs so much :s Does anyone know how much lenient they are if you have your A levels?

Edit: Similar question to the above :smile:
Original post by Kidneyjean
Couldn't see a thread for Cardiff, so here goes!

Anyone who has any useful Cardiff-related application info, feel free to post it here :rolleyes: If you went to the Open Day, how'd you find it? Did everyone's ASs/UKCAT go alright, and how are peoples' statements coming along?

From what I've read, the cycle goes something like this:

1. Academic screening. Anyone who doesn't meet the minimum academic requirements is rejected (bar people with mitigating circumstances).
(GCSE English/Welsh- B, GCSE Maths- B, GCSE Double Science- AA, GCSE Triple Science- AAB, GCE- AAAc with either bio or chem at A2, as well as one other science. If bio or chem aren't taken to A2, they must be at an A grade for AS).

2. Academic ranking. Everyone is ranked according to what they've already acheived in either GCSE or GCE A2- they don't rank according to ASs or predicted grades. A select proportion are rejected at this stage.

3. Non-academic assessment. PS and reference are scored and ranked on the following:
- Medical motivation and awareness of the career
- Caring ethos and a sense of social awareness
- Sense of responsibility
- Non-academic interests and personal achievements
- Study skills
- Referee’s report
A select proportion are rejected after the ranking.

4. Interviews. UKCAT 'may be used' at this point to make sure that the right number of applicants are interviewed. Interviews are held from November to February, and test whether applicants "have the interpersonal skills to be able to communicate effectively and whether they have a balanced approach to life." The highest scoring applicants get an offer.

Best of luck with applications everyone! :smile:

For the poll, it's not just the A* quantity, I believe you have to include some sciences (maybe 2, not sure?) English lang and maths.

WHich is why I'd get 25/27 even though overall I have more than that :smile:
It is your best 9 to include Sciences, English language and math.
Reply 85
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
For the poll, it's not just the A* quantity, I believe you have to include some sciences (maybe 2, not sure?) English lang and maths.

WHich is why I'd get 25/27 even though overall I have more than that :smile:

Yeah- they use your nine best GCSEs including English/Welsh, Maths, and Double/Triple Science.

They don't measure the amount of A*s specifically, it's just that the admissions policy always mentions that successful applicants have at least five.

25/27 is still a pretty damn good score though! :tongue:
Reply 86
Yeah- they use your nine best GCSEs including English/Welsh, Maths, and Double/Triple Science.

They don't measure the amount of A*s specifically, it's just that the admissions policy always mentions that successful applicants have at least five.

What dyu mean by 25/27? Is it a scoring system for GCSE? If so what is the system?
thanks
Reply 87

Cardiff score out of 27? Where does it say that? o.O
Reply 88
Original post by KR1993
I emailed the admissions office to find out, because last year you needed 25 points from your GCSEs to progress. 3 points for an A* 2-A and 1-B
However they told me if you already have AAAc or higher at alevel they will give you an additional 4 points to boost you over the threshold, if you're not already over it. :smile:

Guess im not applying to Cardiff then, shame.

I got 18 + 4 (for my A-Levels), from the sounds of it 22 will not be enough :frown:
6A* and 3A's = 24 . Good enough ?
Reply 90
Original post by Stuffme
Cardiff score out of 27? Where does it say that? o.O

They take into account your 9 best GCSEs. Scoring is as follows:

A* = 3
A = 2
B = 1

So, the maximum score is 27 (9 A*s)
Reply 91
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero
6A* and 3A's = 24 . Good enough ?

If these include Maths, English Language and all Sciences then yes.
Original post by Domo-Kun
What dyu mean by 25/27? Is it a scoring system for GCSE? If so what is the system?
thanks

A* = 3
A = 2
B = 1

And 9x3 = 27 :smile:

You have to include as mentioned above english/welsh, maths and double/triple science scores.

:smile:

Cardiff is a pretty lovely city, not too busy and still things to do and have fun :biggrin:
Love Cardiff, nice city, nice people and a football team on the brink of premier league.
Reply 95

Cardiff is a pretty lovely city, not too busy and still things to do and have fun :biggrin:

No problem! Yeah, it's great :smile: And the university isn't too far away from the center either... where else are you applying?
Reply 96
A* = 3
A = 2
B = 1

And 9x3 = 27 :smile:

You have to include as mentioned above english/welsh, maths and double/triple science scores.

:smile:

I have measly score of 17... think I would have a chance?

And is the scoring system still in use? Its not on the Selection Criteria thing on the website.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by KR1993
Me too! :smile:

Me threee!
Reply 98
Pick up the phone Cardiff!!! I need to bombard you with questions!!! ARGHHH
I'm definitely gonna apply :smile: got 6A*s 3As so my score should be ok? A*s included all the mathsy, sciency, english subjects :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest