The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kidneyjean
Nah, it's interesting finding out what combinations of places everyone else picked!

I'm going for BSMS, Bristol, Cardiff and Nottingham (basically places that still do full-body dissection :rolleyes:) Plus I really liked the look of the integrated courses.

Ooooh, interesting :biggrin:
Yeah, I like the sound of an intercalated year :smile:
Reply 121
Acknowledged :smile:
Original post by C-J-J
Acknowledged :smile:

Same :smile:
Reply 123
Original post by KR1993
You have a score of 23/27, but because you already have and meet their A level requirements they can add up to 4 points to score so that you meet the threshold :smile:

Where did you read that? I am applying & have 25 points, but also doing a gap year and already have A*AA/742.5 UKCAT.
Reply 124
Original post by mmeiger
Where did you read that? I am applying & have 25 points, but also doing a gap year and already have A*AA/742.5 UKCAT.

Cardiff told me in an email, they said if you have AAA at A level but don't meet the gcse threshold (23-25 probably) they will add up to 4 points to your score so that you meet the threshold :smile:
Reply 125
Original post by KR1993
Cardiff told me in an email, they said if you have AAA at A level but don't meet the gcse threshold (23-25 probably) they will add up to 4 points to your score so that you meet the threshold :smile:

Great :smile: Was a bit worried in case they decided to increase the cut-off to 26/27 (like Birmingham).

Last time I tried to email Cardiff med admissions I got the following autoreply:

"I am out of the office until 24/09/2030."
Reply 126
Original post by mmeiger
Great :smile: Was a bit worried in case they decided to increase the cut-off to 26/27 (like Birmingham).

Last time I tried to email Cardiff med admissions I got the following autoreply:

"I am out of the office until 24/09/2030."

I know it's a relief, so you'll definitely meet the threshold :smile: haha! 2030 :L
Just sent off my application!
Reply 128
If you get a really high score on their points system for your grades do you go straight to interview? Or do they still look at PS etc. Thanks.
Reply 129
Original post by C-J-J
If you get a really high score on their points system for your grades do you go straight to interview? Or do they still look at PS etc. Thanks.

The points is only the academic side of the selection criteria, you still need to pass the non-academic side.
Reply 130
Hey, does anyone know why Cardiff seems to have lower student satisfaction of course/teaching ratings?!?!?!
Would I stand a chance with 23 points at cardiff??
Reply 132
Sent off my application today, now its just a waiting game :frown:
Reply 133
Original post by Clag
Hey, does anyone know why Cardiff seems to have lower student satisfaction of course/teaching ratings?!?!?!

They've had quite major refurbishment stuff going on for a while, so it might be that that's affected peoples' views of their time there. However, the new Heath Park campus just opened this year, so they may start to rise :rolleyes:
Reply 134
Original post by Clag

No, it's awesome here. Apart from the walking, don't apply if you don't like walking.
Reply 135
Original post by kemekpo
Would I stand a chance with 23 points at cardiff??

No, sorry.

Whoever negged me, wtf?! I'm trying to help by saving you from having a rejection, don't know why I bother. And if it's because you think I don't know what I'm talking about, then I'm sure you know more than me, I mean I'm just a Cardiff Medical Student, what do I know.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 136
How sure is everyone about the points system, as i emailed the admissions tutor, and he said i would get 24, I have 4A's at A-Level, but only A*A*A*A*AABB as point scoring GCSE's. By the ssytem mentioned in this thread that would only be 22???
Reply 137
Original post by Swind
How sure is everyone about the points system, as i emailed the admissions tutor, and he said i would get 24, I have 4A's at A-Level, but only A*A*A*A*AABB as point scoring GCSE's. By the ssytem mentioned in this thread that would only be 22???

I wouldn't regard the words of the admissions tutors as gold. They aren't that helpful in my personal experience. I would recommend phoning them, and double checking. The only reason I can see for you having those 2 extra points would be that you have 4 A2s not 3.
Reply 138
ohh ok, thats probably it, when i phoned them the person i spoke to mentioned that i might get more then 4 more as i have 4 A's but she wasnt sure.

Im just hoping 24 is enough :smile:
Reply 139
Original post by Elwyn
I wouldn't regard the words of the admissions tutors as gold. They aren't that helpful in my personal experience. I would recommend phoning them, and double checking. The only reason I can see for you having those 2 extra points would be that you have 4 A2s not 3.

Not entirely sure if the fourth A2 would give extra points:

"A fourth A2 Level subject will not enhance your application."

http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/en/degree-programmes/undergraduate/admissions/entry-requirements/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending