The Student Room Group

Am I doing the right subjects?

Next year I am interested in doing the geography and planning course.
For AS, I took geography, maths, german and photography. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped in german only managing to get a D.
Would it be wiser to not take on german next year and get higher grades in the other 3 subjects or would it be more appealing to achieve a lower grade in a more academic subject such as german instead of photography?
Help!!
Reply 1
An A in Photography is better than a D in German. You have two other respected subjects as well so it's not all bad.
An A-Level in a language is very well respected and highly sort after by universities. I'd keep it if I were you. Contrary to the above post, a university would prefer a low grade in a difficult and well respected subject than a high grade in a soft , and frankly useless subject like Photography.

If I were you I'd consider taking Chemistry as some units require you to know about pollutants, oxidation, hydrolysis and other chemical nomenclature.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by michaelhaych
An A-Level in a language is very well respected and highly sort after by universities. I'd keep it if I were you. Contrary to the above post, a university would prefer a low grade in a difficult and well respected subject than a high grade in a soft , and frankly useless subject like Photography.

If I were you I'd consider taking Chemistry as some units require you to know about pollutants, oxidation, hydrolysis and other chemical nomenclature.

Grade D over a grade A? What on earth are you smoking? Maybe B in German over A in Photography or a similar 1 grade difference, possibly 2 grades if the weaker subject was more relevant to the course than the stronger but in this case... no.
Original post by tooosh
Grade D over a grade A? What on earth are you smoking? Maybe B in German over A in Photography or a similar 1 grade difference, possibly 2 grades if the weaker subject was more relevant to the course than the stronger but in this case... no.

Yes but your grades can always go up, especially if you drop down to 3 subjects. I went from a C in AS Psychology to an A*.

A university will always prefer a well respected, strong subject like a Language to an irrelevant, very soft and frequently blacklisted subject.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by michaelhaych
Yes but your grades can always go up, especially if you drop down to 3 subjects. I went from a C in AS Psychology to an A*.

A university will always prefer a well respected, strong subject like a Language to an irrelevant, very soft and frequently blacklisted subject.

I suppose if you retake the situation changes but at the end of your A-level, an A in Photography is better than a D in German and that was the point I was making.
Reply 6
Thank you!! youve both been a lot of help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest