The Student Room Group

Should Inheritance Be Banned?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Dause
I should probably preface this by saying I am discussing this idea in principle rather than in practice, so arguments about the incompetency of government, etc. should have no bearing just now.

I'm having trouble reconciling the concept of inheritance (a transfer payment) with that of either capitalism or meritocracy. Surely a society that subscribes to either ideology must consider bequests to be a violation of their principles? I would be very interested to hear people's opinions on this, but let me make a few brief points first.

The argument for a 100% tax rate seems pretty compelling to me... The most immediate of these is the government revenue that it would produce, which could be used for any number of worthwhile purposes. It could be redistributed to the lower classes, increasing their opportunities in life and reducing wealth inequality. Those 'deprived' of large inheritances would be forced to earn their keep in life, rather than living off their parents' work.

This would go some way towards satisfying a basic tenet of both capitalism and meritocracy, that of equality of opportunity (as opposed to the equality of outcome espoused by Communism). Abolishing inheritance would also help to reduce wealth inequality (again, as opposed to income inequality).

A number of obvious objections doubtless come to mind, and I would love to hear them. I think I can respond to most of them, but I am interested to see what others think.

Why would people work at an older age then? some of the most valuable employees have already earnt enough to get them by happily for the rest of their life, but many continue to work so that they have something to pass on for their children or loved ones. People who are in top positions because of the knowledge and skill they have built up over decades of work, but already have a private retirement fund, what motivation do they have to work when they know that the second they die you might as well wipe their name from the record books. People like the idea that once they are gone parts of them will live on, if you don't allow people to pass things on when they die then what is the point in having things to pass on?
Reply 61
Original post by Dause
In that case, thank you for supporting the economy by repeatedly injecting your cash into it rather than hording it in the form of static wealth.

Who said I'd be spending it legally or in this country? I'll do all I can not to support the economy of a country with such absurd laws, infact I'd do all I could to move away from it, taking my wealth with me. And I'm sure that a vast majority of the Middle Class and upwards would feel the same way.
Original post by AldrousHuxley
So why should you benefit from the hard work your parents put in?

I see a lot more reason why they should benefit over someone down the road who hasn't worked a day in their life and are claiming benefits, don't you?

Also realise, its not just family that inherit the money. In some cases it can be friends or even charities. Lots of charitable organisations run on the basis of this cash, shall we close them?

This thread is just pure jealousy
Reply 63
Original post by arob752
Saving money is a good thing. This would discourage it.

True, this is a valid point. I don't consider it to be compelling enough to swing the argument though.

On the one hand, saving is only good up to a certain level - there is a balance to be struck between saving and consumption, so an absolute regarding either is a bit misguided. It is equally possible that wealthy individuals sitting on their wealth are damaging the economy by not spending enough.

Equally, the revenue raised could be saved by the government, so the problem disappears. A similar argument (through subsidies) can be applied with regards to reduced investment.
I'd rather my money went to my own children or partner than some sort of program and/or benefits for someone I don't know. Selfish it sounds but its only a natural feeling. If I had children and I (and my partner) died whilst they were young they wouldn't have anything, when everyone else is getting money of their parents for university or they have a place to stay when times are bad my children would literally have nothing if this was in place. If my partner was disabled and I was the sole earner and I died, my partner would be worse off. If I die suddenly and didn't have a funeral plan my family would have to pay for the funeral and sort out all my debt from their own pocket. What about my possessions, not my house or car or anything like that but smaller things and more sentimental things, would the government get those as well? I would hate it if my family didn't have anything to remember me by. If this law was in place when my nan died I wouldn't have got my last birthday present from her (she bought it in advance) and even though it is literally a watch, it holds so much emotional value to me you couldn't imagine and I'd hate it if someone said I'd need to give that away so it can go to someone else who won't feel any of the emotional attachment that I do to it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by arob752
I see a lot more reason why they should benefit over someone down the road who hasn't worked a day in their life and are claiming benefits, don't you?

Also realise, its not just family that inherit the money. In some cases it can be friends or even charities. Lots of charitable organisations run on the basis of this cash, shall we close them?

Resorting to the 'jealousy' argument is pretty weak, I'm afraid. Deal with the points, not the people. If it means anything to you (I doubt it will) I am exactly the kind of person who would lose out from a rule like this.

Your first point is another example of pointing to one flaw in the system to excuse another. I agree that the welfare system needs to be changed, as it essentially encourages people to avoid word.

Your second point is equally weak. Remember that this money does not disappear. If it means so much to you, modify the rule so that the government makes a set contribution towards these charities. You are dealing with easily resolved technicalities rather than the broader argument.
Original post by Apollo11
I disagree with the principal of inheritance tax on the basis that the money the properties/possesions have been bought with will already have been taxed once so why tax it again? I know a lot of people will disagree/neg but it's my opinion.

I guess the only real argument for taxing inheritance is that not all of the money of larger fortunes has been taxed so it's a last ditch effort by the government to take more money from it's citizens.
Original post by arob752

No, neither of you should any more than the other. Charities which only exist due to tax rebates in inheritance payments should indeed be closed. The best charity is ultimately the government, as the population of the country indirectly decides what is done with its resources.

This thread is not pure jealousy either, as I strongly suspect I'll inherit more than most people on TSR.

PS your mum should be able to use all of that money, but once she dies the inheritance should be paid.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by screenager2004
The practicalities of it are too complex but I strongly agree with the principle of it. If you are paid so much that you have an extravagant surplus wealth remaining after your death beyond a reasonable amount (and assuming your death wasn't sudden/unexpected/premature) then obviously you are being paid an unreasonable amount. That wealth could be redistributed more fairly among the population.

So let me get this straight. You believe in the principle of stealing off dead people?

And that you also believe that having assets and savings is unreasonable?

Awful code of morality. Born out of the fact that either you are utterly ignorant of economics or that you are a miserable little collectivist.
Reply 69
Original post by Nightstar-27
I'd rather my money went to my own children or partner than some sort of program and/or benefits for someone I don't know. Selfish it sounds but its only a natural feeling. If I had children and I (and my partner) died whilst they were young they wouldn't have anything, when everyone else is getting money of their parents for university or they have a place to stay when times are bad my children would literally have nothing if this was in place. If my partner was disabled and I was the sole earner and I died, my partner would be worse off. If I die suddenly and didn't have a funeral plan my family would have to pay for the funeral and sort out all my debt from their own pocket. What about my possessions, not my house or car or anything like that but smaller things and more sentimental things, would the government get those as well? I would hate it if my family didn't have anything to remember me by. If this law was in place when my nan died I wouldn't have got my last birthday present from her (she bought it in advance) and even though it is literally a watch, it holds so much emotional value to me you couldn't imagine and I'd hate it if someone said I'd need to give that away so it can go to someone else who won't feel any of the emotional attachment that I do to it.

The problem of heirlooms can easily be addressed. Allow people to write wills as usual, but rather than receiving the gift for free, those specified in the will can buy the heirloom from the government at an independently-appraised price. If it is truly of purely emotional value, this won't be a problem.
Original post by Dause
Principle rather than practice. Would you care to tell me why exactly you believe the principle of banning inheritance is not acceptable?

Firstly, you can't isolate principle from practice. This would not only be completely and utterly unworkable, but even detrimental to government finances. No-one takes kindly to their wealth being taxed 100%, so everyone would dodge this: money would be moved abroad, people would leave the country, people would set up trusts, people would give it to family members before death, people would do any number of things to avoid it. To counter this, you'd have to close up every loophole, and place unprecedented controls on the egress of money and people from the country - and there could be no better way of driving away business and investment from Britain than establishing a system where it's hard to get cash out.

Secondly, there are plenty of objections to the principle as well. People are already taxed up to 50% on what they earn - double taxing is unfair and not transparent; why should we not be free to give away our taxed money to whomever we want? It's also hugely interventionist to have a 100% direct tax on anyone, and who's to say that the government won't just waste all the extra money (it's pretty good at that). There'd be a massive disincentive to earn money, and widespread alienation of people from a government which wants to deprive children of their rightful bequests, which their parents have worked hard to accumulate. There'd be no incentive to be sensible and frugal with money - something which should be rewarded, and is, in the long term, beneficial to the government and to society.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dause
True, this is a valid point. I don't consider it to be compelling enough to swing the argument though.

On the one hand, saving is only good up to a certain level - there is a balance to be struck between saving and consumption, so an absolute regarding either is a bit misguided. It is equally possible that wealthy individuals sitting on their wealth are damaging the economy by not spending enough.

Equally, the revenue raised could be saved by the government, so the problem disappears. A similar argument (through subsidies) can be applied with regards to reduced investment.

People who save also spend. Albeit less when they are beginning, they will get to a stage where they can spend more than they would be able to if they hadn't saved, thus balancing out spending at a constant level without saving.

Also, when people are accumulating their wealth their main concern is not the government it is themselves and their family. And so it should be.
Why would you want to ban inheritance? Just because a few people get rich because of the work of their parents doesn't mean the entire concept is wrong.

What makes the state a better decision maker then who earned the money?

And if you ban the intrafamily accumulation of wealth, guess what? The rich will export their money out to places where UK law does not apply. Lots of ways you can gain control of money without actually transferring it.

Stop trying to control what people do with their money, just because it's not fair. Life isn't fair. Why should anyone attempt to accumulate any wealth at all?

Banning in inheritance will drive your country into the Third World.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by turn and fall
So let me get this straight. You believe in the principle of stealing off dead people?

And that you also believe that having assets and savings is unreasonable?

Awful code of morality. Born out of the fact that either you are utterly ignorant of economics or that you are a miserable little collectivist.

No to your first (outrageously sensationalist) point, no to your second. And I would be prepared to wager that I have more training in economics than yourself.

I don't believe in stealing from dead people, I believe in equality of opportunity. In the case of banning inheritance, this would entail preventing living people from appropriating wealth that they did not earn.

Having assets is great. Having savings is great. Don't know how you managed to extrapolate an aversion to these from my arguments.
Reply 74
What about businesses that are passed from generation to generation.

If it wasn't for inheritance, it is highly likely that Sainsbury's wouldn't exist - amongst others.
Original post by AldrousHuxley
The best charity is ultimately the government, as the population of the country indirectly decides what is done with its resources.

Yea, because I remember receiving the opportunity to vote to gift £60 million in aid to a country which has a space program last year.

(source)
Reply 76
Yeah screw providing for my children, if you banned inheritance would you also ban paying for your child's education? Or food? It's all parents providing for their children, even from the grave. I think any government imposing a 100% inheritance tax would soon find itself short of voters, or even people living in the country they were running.
I feel completely the opposite (to OP). Inheritance shouldn't be taxed AT ALL. If I lend my brother a tenner, should the government get a couple of quid? No. Why should they get any money I leave to my family after I die? It's legalised theft and it's wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
I don't personally see the need for excessive wealth and don't like it at the expense of the struggling poor, but even I think banning inheritance is a stupid idea. Apart from the basic economic consequences, like a lack of care for your property, no incentive to invest or build, and no incentive to be successful, I just don't see how parents can't be allowed to provide for their children!

If I came to the end of a long and fruitful life, would I want all my efforts robbed from my family, who I worked to give a comfortable life? I don't mind if I had to work hard so they have it easy - if I did, I wouldn't have worked hard, or I wouldn't have left them anything! Plus, we all want to feel we leave a lasting impression on the earth after death, and inheritance is a big part of it.
Reply 79
Original post by Protoman2050
Why would you want to ban inheritance? Just because a few people get rich because of the work of their parents doesn't mean the entire concept is wrong.

What makes the state a better decision maker then who earned the money?

And if you ban the intrafamily accumulation of wealth, guess what? The rich will export their money out to places where UK law does not apply. Lots of ways you can gain control of money without actually transferring it.

Stop trying to control what people do with their money, just because it's not fair. Life isn't fair. Why should anyone attempt to accumulate any wealth at all?

Banning in inheritance will drive your country into the Third World.

All of these points have been dealt with, read through the thread.

Original post by michael321
Firstly, you can't isolate principle from practice. This would not only be completely and utterly unworkable, but even detrimental to government finances. No-one takes kindly to their wealth being taxed 100%, so everyone would dodge this: money would be moved abroad, people would leave the country, people would set up trusts, people would give it to family members before death, people would do any number of things to avoid it. To counter this, you'd have to close up every loophole, and place unprecedented controls on the egress of money and people from the country - and there could be no better way of driving away business and investment from Britain than establishing a system where it's hard to get cash out.

Secondly, there are plenty of objections to the principle as well. People are already taxed up to 50% on what they earn - double taxing is unfair and not transparent; why should we not be free to give away our taxed money to whomever we want? It's also hugely interventionist to have a 100% direct tax on anyone, and who's to say that the government won't just waste all the extra money (it's pretty good at that). There'd be a massive disincentive to earn money, and widespread alienation of people from a government which wants to deprive children of their rightful bequests, which their parents have worked hard to accumulate. There'd be no incentive to be sensible and frugal with money - something which should be rewarded, and is, in the long term, beneficial to the government and to society.

My reasoning behind isolating the two was to prevent the kind of technical arguments over minutae that have already plagued this thread. First deal with the broad principle: if we could effectively ban inheritance, would it be a good thing? If so, move on to the practicalities. If it is unfeasible (as I believe it would be), so be it. At least we know our goals, even if we cannot achieve them.

Secondly, I don't view inheritance tax as a double tax. You can't tax a dead person. You can tax the intended recipient who, for the hundredth time, did not earn it. There are plenty of examples of a 100% direct tax. How about money from the sale of cocaine? My point is that a number of qualifications are built into your 'right' to do what you please with your money, and my argument is that inheritance should be one of these. Vague polemics about 'rights' are simply begging the question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending