The Student Room Group

Wasters - your opinions please!

Am I the only mature student that thinks that these teenagers who take a gap year to swan off around the world are a bunch of wasters?
If they're going to take a year out, then they should spend it in this country, working.
When I was 16, back in 1992, I was made to leave school and take a full time job in a factory, even though I wanted to do A levels. These teenagers these days really don't know they're born.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Billinghaylad1976
Am I the only mature student that thinks that these teenagers who take a gap year to swan off around the world are a bunch of wasters?
If they're going to take a year out, then they should spend it in this country, working.
When I was 16, back in 1992, I was made to leave school and take a full time job in a factory, even though I wanted to do A levels. These teenagers these days really don't know they're born.

You started work at 16, and you talk about hard work?

Get real.

I was running my own company at sixteen, having worked for other chumps before I left school. Just because you didn't have the work ethic to get good enough qualifications for a scholarship, or get a real job you think you can look down your nose at people who have raised the money to go abroad?

Sounds like you're a bit bitter because you decided to become some companies dogsbody for a few years instead of actually bettering yourself - at least now though you have realized the error of your ways.

You don't know you're born.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think if you're taking out student loans you have a bad attitude for a scrounger; people who go cap in hand for grants / loans with an attitude like yours don't deserve squat. I am presuming you are going to do that, because I find it hard to believe that someone without the initiative to get a real job would have made enough to pay for themselves and not be held hands by mommy state.
They don't do scholarships for A levels! You obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about. I came from a hard up background, so didn't have the financial support to carry on with my education at that time. I didn't have a choice. I was made to work.
Reply 3
1992 was only 19 years ago, hardly the dark ages. There's no reason why you couldn't have did your A-levels, provided you got the grades you needed. "My family made me" is not really a good excuse, considering at 16 you have more freedom to make choices with your life and unless they were abusive I doubt you would have your head kicked in or thrown to the streets because you chose to continue your education. I somehow doubt you lived in a shanty town where your family were that desperate for money.

Anyways, to your question, they're not wasters. They're young people trying to make the best of their youth and their life, and employers actually have a positive view towards people who go travelling for a gap-year, particularly if they work abroad, because you gain new experiences.

You sound like a stereotypical Daily Mail reader anyways "zomgz they're not paying their taxes! the wasting scum!!!!!111" Chillll, yeah?
:smile:
Reply 4
nah, It's valued by employers and gap years can often involve really worthwhile work like helping abroad in schools. They have to raise the money to do it anyway and I think everyone's entitled to such a life changing and enlightening experience.
Reply 5
Original post by Threxy
1992 was only 19 years ago, hardly the dark ages. There's no reason why you couldn't have did your A-levels, provided you got the grades you needed. "My family made me" is not really a good excuse, considering at 16 you have more freedom to make choices with your life and unless they were abusive I doubt you would have your head kicked in or thrown to the streets because you chose to continue your education. I somehow doubt you lived in a shanty town where your family were that desperate for money.

Depends where the OP's from, really. I heard from plenty of people that I should get a 'proper job' instead of bothering with uni and stuff, and this is 19 years later... I don't think the experiences he describes are that hard to believe.

As for students who swan off on a gap year, this is going to make me unpopular, but they should pay for it themselves; if this requires getting a job for six months so they can travel for six months, so what? People I know in real life keep asking me for donations so they can do their world tours (yes really :sigh:) and the thing is that travelling is a luxury, not a right - if you don't already have the money through savings or a part-time job, asking other people just to give you it, so you can go on holiday, is beyond the pale.
Reply 6
I don't have anything against students taking a Gap Year (although I do find it odd that it is necessary to have a rest after A-level - is the three months off not enough?)

What I do think is a problem is that Gap Years are almost never ever constructive in any way. Some people simply find regular jobs and work for a year - unless they are hoarding all the earnings, I don't see the sense in this, and with the current funding model, is probably counter-productive.

A lot of students flit off around the world "to experience the world", but what they actually do is go to Thailand and Australia, and hang around with other British Gap students.

Some try do-gooding -voluntary work and such like. Laudable aims, but the manner in which these are structured has become so jejune that it is almost like an optional University module.

All in, I think they are a fantastic waste of time and money and serve no useful purpose. But I wouldn't really say that they are causing any harm per se.
Original post by kerily

Original post by kerily
Depends where the OP's from, really. I heard from plenty of people that I should get a 'proper job' instead of bothering with uni and stuff, and this is 19 years later... I don't think the experiences he describes are that hard to believe.

As for students who swan off on a gap year, this is going to make me unpopular, but they should pay for it themselves; if this requires getting a job for six months so they can travel for six months, so what? People I know in real life keep asking me for donations so they can do their world tours (yes really :sigh:) and the thing is that travelling is a luxury, not a right - if you don't already have the money through savings or a part-time job, asking other people just to give you it, so you can go on holiday, is beyond the pale.

They do pay for it themselves... Did you not get that part?
Reply 8
Original post by Lukedavidhopkins1
They do pay for it themselves... Did you not get that part?

Not all of them. A lot of people I know in real life are fully expecting other people to pay for them to go on holiday, including random members of the public. This isn't to do charity work or anything, it's just for them to go on a jolly to Thailand.
Reply 9
I suppose being a “waster” is a very subjective term. I personally think travel is a great thing and know people who have been on the go for the last 10 years with no stable employment. They are some of the most interesting people you could meet and are certainly not 9-5 wage slaves they would probably describe wage slavers as “wasters”

Also students are constantly referred to as “wasters” Do you agree with this? I know a guy who is 53 and has never had a job in his life. Despite this he has a number of degrees and is just about to start his second PHD. Should such a person be described as a waster?

I myself am 31 years of age, never had a really stable job, or stable relationship, yet I have travelled extensively and am now contemplating doing my 3rd undergraduate degree. Should I be described as a waster?
Original post by kerily

I agree entirely with this, but I wasn't aware they did ask for donations. I thought they had to earn it fairly through cake sales etc. or pay for it themselves. Treating it like a charity would be disgusting.

Next bit addressed to thread, not kerily directly;
However, in general I have no issue with a gap year if you can do it - what is the point of resenting people who have that opportunity? Some people get it all paid for, but a lot work hard for the money and do get part-time jobs (I've had several jobs since I was 14, and that pays for university food/books now). Of course their life is entirely different to someone who had to get a factory job, but isn't wishing it was the same kind of a step backwards?
Reply 11
Original post by Octohedral
I agree entirely with this, but I wasn't aware they did ask for donations. I thought they had to earn it fairly through cake sales etc. or pay for it themselves. Treating it like a charity would be disgusting.

Presumably the people I know are just immoral :teehee:

I didn't know this wasn't widespread, but I always thought it was over the line.

I have no problem with people who actually pay for it themselves, through work or savings or something; each to their own. I would have liked to do a gap year, but no way in hell was I paying the £9k fees for no reason, and in any case, it doesn't help a maths application.
Reply 12
How stupid? The entire point of taking a gap year is to experience the world a little before you get roped into a career for the next 40 years. Why is taking a gap year wasteful? In order to do so you must have got the money from somewhere. Why spend a year 'out' working when that's how you'll spend the rest of your life anyway?
Original post by kerily
Presumably the people I know are just immoral :teehee:

I didn't know this wasn't widespread, but I always thought it was over the line.

I have no problem with people who actually pay for it themselves, through work or savings or something; each to their own. I would have liked to do a gap year, but no way in hell was I paying the £9k fees for no reason, and in any case, it doesn't help a maths application.

Exactly my reasoning - I'm doing maths too. :smile:
Reply 14

They might take a year off, but then will be following that with 3/4 years of uni then trying to get a job after that. They will have the rest of their lives to work, so what is wrong with having one last year to enjoy themselves? I get the impression you seem to be aiming your opinion towards those from middle class backgrounds whose parents possibly pay for their gap year.

It's certainly not their fault you were made to leave school for a factory job and not do any A levels. I did A levels in 1990-92, and in hindsight I would have probably been better off getting a job because I just messed about for two years then ended up in art college because I didn't know what else to do. It took me to my thirties to decide what I really wanted to do with my life.
Reply 15

Dont blame us because youre unhappy with the direction youre life has taken, (and you obviously are because you are a mature student) thats nobodys fault but your own.

Oh and saying 'you dont know your born' makes you sound very very mature....
Original post by Clip
I don't have anything against students taking a Gap Year (although I do find it odd that it is necessary to have a rest after A-level - is the three months off not enough?)

What about those students that have to take a gap year because they didn't get in to uni?

I think having a gap year between 6th form and uni is the best time to do it- you actually have the time to!

Wish I'd taken one.
Original post by kerily

Original post by kerily
Not all of them. A lot of people I know in real life are fully expecting other people to pay for them to go on holiday, including random members of the public. This isn't to do charity work or anything, it's just for them to go on a jolly to Thailand.

I've never heard of random people paying for someone's holiday :/
Reply 18

OP, it would take a harsher person than I to criticise you for resenting your lack of opportunities early in life but you do sound as if that resentment manifests as envy for the youngies of today. It's hardly their fault if changing social conditions allow them chances that we didn't have, is it?

Although it depends on the context of the individual's gap year, I think generally it's a good thing. Many 18-year-olds go directly to uni without any meaningful experience of independent living, and that can be a big handicap in the first year of a degree. The gap year can provide all kinds of useful experience in the 'university of life' so a youngie will enter uni with more confidence, and have the life skills to settle in much faster.

Volunteering/travelling requires people to be resourceful and independent; to manage their time and money; to take responsibility for themselves and their companions. It also allows them to experience directly the culture/liefstyles/values of other nations - many of which are very different from our own. They are therefore better informed than their non-travelling peers and tend to have less prejudices and assumptions about those who don't share their nationality/ethnicity/opportunities in life/whatever. Travelling isn't all about partying, it's a valuable life experience which is now recognised by unis and employers.

Of course financial circumstances dictate that not all students will have all options for a gap year, but teaching kids in somewhere like Cambodia is available to most as it often provides accommodation and a small salary (and/or very low cost of living). Most students also work to pay toward their gap year and sacrifice the usual post-A Level partying in order to save up for several months. Of course parents help too - for example, by subsidising living costs during the 'saving up' period - but that's a feature of all parent/child relationships, and I know very few parents who have contributed more than a token %age of the direct cost of the gap year.

Nothing could be more different from a bog-standard 'holiday' than, say, a year in S E Asia. I wish I'd had the chance for such 'educational' travel opportunities at 18/19 (as that's what most gap years are) as the people I know who have taken this route are generally more mature, independent and well-informed than others of their age.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Although some people might do some worthwhile things, "Gap year" has just become an acceptable, fashionable phrase for what could just be procrastination and slacking off in some cases. I find it to be slightly irritating phrase on its own, it can sound smug and naive.

Also I think the phrase "travelling" is a bit silly. Why don't they just call it a holiday, because that's basically what it is usually. It's just not as scheduled and brief as a holiday.

Fine if you want to go travelling but what I don't like is the way people talk about it as if it really changes people, "seeing the world" and all that, implying if don't take an extended holiday in some part of the world, you're somehow not as developed or special. *******s.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending