The Student Room Group

Not going to university

Scroll to see replies

Well I am not sure myself if I am willing to go to uni (I wanted to go but I got bad grades) and now I am looking into other options such as doing a BTEC or doing a qualification via NCJT or CIM or CIPR, because having accredited qualifications is rather important http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1767257 My friend is gonna do an apprenticeship.

I also feel as though university is overrated to the point where most people are expected to go. This is mainly because the Labour government were more focused on targets and getting many people into university so it is the same situation in schools. At my school when I was in the 6th form teachers (especially head of 6th form) always spoke about university and didn't really speak about other options. The only thing he said apart from uni was that we wouldn't be able to get a job because of the recession so the best thing to do is to stay in education and go to university, which I can kind of understand. Though the deputy head said to me one time that I don't have to go to uni, not everyone does. The thing is the schools including mine want to boast about who goes where and how many people got into uni, they only care about targets.

When I got my results a couple of weeks ago they were really bad, and it meant that no university would take me, but a teacher and head of 6th form kept on telling me to just look at clearing vacancies and go. I had planned to look through clearing vacancies but I was very unhappy about my grades and started to consider the possibility of resitting. When I tried to speak to the teacher, she kept telling me to go this year because of the rise in fees next year and she said that once I get my degree the A Level grades won't matter. When I tried to speak to the head about having a meeting to discuss my options, he simply said he couldn't help me :mad: and tried to walk away :mad: but then he told me to look through clearing and that the fees are going up next year. Now they both emailed me and the head of 6th form said that it's unfortunate I didn't get in and that I have two options: resit or go to work.

Sorry for the long response but I am personally sick and tired of people going on like uni is the best and only option. It's bad enough I got really crappy grades, I don't need to be made to feel like more of a failure :frown: All universities are refusing to take me, so what the bloody heck am I supposed to do, feel more like bloody failure?? :mad:

Sorry for the rant OP I am not mad at you :smile: I am glad you asked this question on TSR :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I hate the fact that schools and colleges seem so concerned with getting students to uni. In many cases I feel they do it just to make the school/college look good as there seems to be an assumption made by society that those who go to uni are going to end up in a top statis and high end career but this isn't completly true.

In my opinion, people should do what they're good at and stick to things they feel passionate about rather than being a sheep and going to uni just because people tell them they should.

I would love to go to uni for a lot of reasons and, like you I feel put off by the increased fees. I feel this way mainly because my sister who went to uni is still paying hers off and she's in her 30's (but went to uni at 18). She went to the local uni, stayed at home, she also worked a lot. Yet she ended up not getting the grades she wanted to become the thing she was aiming for. She got a completly different job, she enjoys it but not that much.

The reason I want to go is so I can become an english teacher one day.....but I want to try out lots of other jobs before I become a teacher and end up being stuck in a school. Maybe when trying out other jobs our find that I'm happier sticking with those rather than being a teacher. So, I've decided to try out lots of little jobs, travel and write stories for a while as I love writing and I'd love to be a writer too (hopefully try to get them published)

sorry for the long essay but I feel you understand a lot about this not going to uni situation.

A lot of my friends seem to be going to uni despite the fees. Many of them have strong ambitions of future carreeers that need degrees though.

My overall advice is, stick to the things you love and you can't go far wrong :biggrin:
(unless that thing is something illegal or something that harms other people of course...hehe :smile: )
Well, I think that is a mistake. Fair enough if you know what you want to do and it doesn't require a degree, e.g. like the entrepreneurs named above or a short vocational course, but floating through life with a part-time office job, no degree and no aspirations is a good way to go nowhere.
Original post by purple_starlight
I hate the fact that schools and colleges seem so concerned with getting students to uni. In many cases I feel they do it just to make the school/college look good as there seems to be an assumption made by society that those who go to uni are going to end up in a top statis and high end career but this isn't completly true.

They do. My school does it as well. It's for their stats and targets really. In my case I feel as though they want to pack us off to uni ASAP and the thing is, though I wouldn't mind facing the higher fees, my A Levels grades are so bad that literally no unis (even the lower ranked ones) will not take me, because my grades are so low.
Original post by Dee Leigh
They do. My school does it as well. It's for their stats and targets really. In my case I feel as though they want to pack us off to uni ASAP and the thing is, though I wouldn't mind facing the higher fees, my A Levels grades are so bad that literally no unis (even the lower ranked ones) will not take me, because my grades are so low.

Yeah, but it's really hard for nearly everone this year to get into uni. There are people with amazing grades (A's and A*'s) who are not accepted into uni at the moment. It doesn't seem very fair really.

I have a feeling that because of the fee increase next year, those who weren't sure about uni or those who would of otherwise taken a gap year are suddenly applying for uni in fear of not getting in before the fee increase.

But maybe people will think outside the box rather than heading straight to uni now that the fee increase has opened peoples eyes. I think people are questioning what the real value of uni is and whether it's actually worth it or not. I feel sorry for those really did want/need to go to uni who can't (like aspiring doctors/teachers/engineers/architects ect)
Reply 25
University isn't a once in a lifetime opportunity - not going now doesn't mean never going -you've got your whole life to go and get a degree if that's what you want to do.
So many people go to uni simply because it's what's expected. People may look down on you, but frankly, it takes courage to go against that grain and do what feels right for you.
Original post by Grotbag
University isn't a once in a lifetime opportunity - not going now doesn't mean never going -you've got your whole life to go and get a degree if that's what you want to do.
So many people go to uni simply because it's what's expected. People may look down on you, but frankly, it takes courage to go against that grain and do what feels right for you.

Isnt it true to say that you wouldn't make many friends/much of a social life at university if you go in later life?

(even so, admittedly getting a qualification on paper is the most important part of university, not the social life)
Reply 27
UPDATE: Got a full time job (straight after dropping out of sixth form with just my AS Levels) with an insurance company who will pay for all my accountancy training... Win!
Reply 28
Original post by xlovekillsx
UPDATE: Got a full time job (straight after dropping out of sixth form with just my AS Levels) with an insurance company who will pay for all my accountancy training... Win!

I qualified as a chartered accountant at the ago of 24 after I graduated from uni. Hope you will qualify as some kind of accountant quicker than I did. :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by chrislpp
Yea, Doctor you need to go to university for......

and Lawyer
and Engineer
and Scientist
and all medical professions
and all top finance jobs
and all top management jobs

so yea.

Don't forget teaching :wink:
Reply 30
Original post by Dee Leigh

I know this was over a year ago and while I agree with your opinion on the attitudes of schools and colleges these days; the only reason you didn't get into uni is because you didn't study hard enough.

Also to the OP, whilst it sounds like you're making progress in life which is great and I wish you all the best, there are other reasons why people go to uni which I feel need mentioning.

The social aspect, it really is the highlight of a lot of people's social lives but more importantly is the independence. Everyone obviously needs to move out at some point and halls offer a great way to do that, you move in with people the majority of whom are living away from home for the first time; you end up helping one another and learning without having to deal with bills and complicated contracts in your first year that come with rental accommodation. All my uni friends and I came back this summer with such fantastic stories, and all the friends who'd stayed at home had to say was, "been working."

There is as well your life perspective. Some of us simply enjoy learning, and wish to continue doing so for the rest of our lives. As one such person, to me the idea of settling down in one area sorting baggage out at airports, even if it's just a stepping stone for a career which I think was implied, wouldn't appeal to me not only due to lack of enjoyment but because I wouldn't feel like I have taken anything away from it.

Don't get me wrong I don't live in a dream world and I have worked several really **** jobs already to pay for my clubbing forays; and while my CV would strenuously disagree I don't feel that I've taken anything important away from any of them.
Original post by Aenaes
I know this was over a year ago and while I agree with your opinion on the attitudes of schools and colleges these days; the only reason you didn't get into uni is because you didn't study hard enough.

Oh really? How the hell do you know that?

I worked so goddamn hard because I really wanted to get into university and get onto my chosen course. I was so hardworking and extremely determined, as I always have been. The reason why I didn't do so well was because I had a lot of personal problems going on in my life and a lot of circumstances which I was trapped in (which I will not go into) and as a result, that affected my performance. Also, my school didn't prepare me well enough for a degree - I found this out when I went for one an interview for one of the unis I applied for, which is so ironic, seeing as the school I went to constantly pushed us to go to university.

If I didn't work so hard then I would have retaken the year (which I didn't do, instead I went into work).

I am now at university now, having just started this Spetember.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
I've decided not to go to uni because of the fees. I believe that you can get pretty much anywhere, with the exception of maybe a doctor etc that you actually need a degree for, just by hard work and commitment. Unfortunately I go to a grammar school, so when everyone else is stressing about uni and I say I'm not going, I get dirty looks and excluded from the conversation! I've had a part time office job for a year, which I love and wouldn't give up for anything, and I don't really know what I want to do as a career so I think, for me, not going to uni is a good option. Anyone else have the same problem of getting looked down on because they aren't going to uni?:confused:

yeah right :rofl:

you'd be excluded from a big proportion of the jobs out there, degrees are the new A-levels nowadays
If the OP can't understand the tuition fees and how they work then she shouldn't be going to uni anyway.

A degree will never be a golden ticket to a good job, but what happened to satisfying ones intellectual needs and furthering ones education?

Does the OP think its right that the tax payer subsidies' lesser students on Mickey Mouse courses?

Well done! :biggrin:
I'm not going to Uni and I have told my personal tutor, my tutor that I'm not going and they still want me to write a personal statement, but do I really need to write a personal statement or are they just being awkward with me getting me to do it because of the other people going to Uni?
Original post by lil huni
As are Richard Branson, Simon Cowell, Bill Gates (dropped out of college, but did not attain a degree) and Henry Ford. Many, many successful people did not attend university. But yes, a degree is often seen as the most easily-obtainable pathway to success. And for many, it is - but university is not the only way to a fulfilling career, and if OP wants to work their way up another way, well, more power to them.
Also John Major

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending