Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Orthoptics Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've been given conditional offers from Liverpool and Sheffield and been to the open day things, but I was just wondering what to do about accommodation as its a longer year? Whether the normal weeks are enough for us and whether to go catered would be stupid as were not there ?? Sorry if this seems that I'm worrying about nothing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When did u get your offers if you don't mind me asking? I sent my application off in december but I haven't heard back.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    from liverpool i got an offer at the start of november and sheffield i got one just before christmas but it was about 2 weeks after the open day and i think i sent my application off in mid october just after the medicine deadline
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi, thanks for your reply. i got an offer too
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well done which one are you leaning towards if you dont mind me asking ??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well i only applied to liverpool becuse that was the only place i wanted to apply to. what about you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey my names Kim, I've got an offer from Sheffield, which is where I want to go, also applied to Liverpool...also I'm going on the open day on the 25th, anyone else going? Also, in case anyone has any Optom questions I studied Optom for a year at Cardiff...Very different from Orthoptics I promise (not to mention it costs a lot more...:/). Anybody sorted out anything like housing yet? Know it's really early...just wondering what everyone's planning on doing?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimingerose)
    Hey my names Kim, I've got an offer from Sheffield, which is where I want to go, also applied to Liverpool...also I'm going on the open day on the 25th, anyone else going? Also, in case anyone has any Optom questions I studied Optom for a year at Cardiff...Very different from Orthoptics I promise (not to mention it costs a lot more...:/). Anybody sorted out anything like housing yet? Know it's really early...just wondering what everyone's planning on doing?
    Hey, it's nice to hear you studied Optom. Just wanted to ask in terms of course content, is Optom more physicsy and mathsy or is it more biology based? Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude)
    Hey, it's nice to hear you studied Optom. Just wanted to ask in terms of course content, is Optom more physicsy and mathsy or is it more biology based? Thanks.
    Yea theres a lot of physics and maths in optom, and I'm expecting the same in Orthoptics, but so long as you're reasonably good at it, and keep up with the lectures it's not so difficult
    hope that helps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone I'm Jenny and I'm only new to this forum but I would greatly appreciate any input.

After much research, I definitely know that I want to study Orthoptic's at Liverpool University (i'm not going to lie, foundintransmission's posts have been a big influence in this! It helps that i'm from Liverpool too) but i'm having big problems getting started on my personal statement (i'm applying for deferred entry to the course in 2013).

I already have a degree in Psychology and Biology but I wrote the personal statement for this yeeeeears and yeeeears ago so I think that's why I'm struggling. I've organised some Orthoptic's shadowing which I will be doing soon which I think will help with the PS but i'm having real trouble starting it.

How have other people started off their personal statements? Does anyone who has managed to get onto the course have a winning formula for how it should be structured/what should be included? In my previous jobs, I've had a lot of experience working with the public and I currently work for social services dealing with all sorts of weird, wonderful and sometimes heartbreaking situations but I just don't know what to include in a PS and what to leave out. Added to this is the fact I don't have a tutor to advise me on any of this.

As I said before, any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance! x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimingerose)
    Hi Kim

Well done for getting an offer I was wondering whether you could give me any pointers on what you put in your personal statement? As I said in my post, I'm really really struggling!!!

Thanks x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi guys I was looking at student finance and tbh it really confused me, does anyone know what we have to do about the nhs bursary?? because i thought they sent us something through the post but i haven't had anything and i was starting to get a little worried because of deadlines, just in case anyone cares i accepted both of my offers with liverpool as firm :')

help me im stressing :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello Ive also accepted both of my offers for orthoptics with Sheffeild as my firm and was just wondering what everyones offer was and how flexible they are with entry requirements? As im stressing about making the entry enquirments :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey there
    Hoping to get into liverpool for this course in september and was wondering how many weeks it is as I am applying for accommodation and need to know what contract lengths I'm looking at?
    Also which accommodations would you recommend? Please get back to me , much appreciated

AZK
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Has anyone else received an email regarding occupational health clearance?
    I'm confused as I haven't received any other emails about it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckyLM94)
    Hello,
    Has anyone else received an email regarding occupational health clearance?
    I'm confused as I haven't received any other emails about it?
    Yehh i got that email too!
    Im gna ring and ask what it is..
    Really confused..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Does anyone have an orthoptics personal statement that they wouldn't mind sending me please? I'm really struggling with my application as it's been so long since I've had to write one and my UCAS application has to be in by 30th June. I'll be so grateful if anyone can help!!

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my AS levels and i'm going to apply for orthoptics at liverpool, Sheffeild and Glasgow so i'll have to start writing my personal statement
    I've been looking for an example of an orthoptic's personal statement but i can't find out anywhere on the internet
    can someone please help me?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I have just finished my Orthoptic degree at Sheffield and am happy to ask any questions if anybody has any. It is a fantastic degree and city and I loved every second of it! xxx
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasi.ali)
    Yehh i got that email too!
    Im gna ring and ask what it is..
    Really confused..
    Me 2 O.o
    What they tryna say!? Haha

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.