The Student Room Group

Contour Integration

Here's the integral: ππ11+3(cos(t))2 dt \displaystyle\int_{- \pi}^{\pi} \frac{1}{1+3{(cos(t))}^2}\ dt

I know I can fiddle with the limits and manipulatae the interior/ t-substite etc, but I'd rather integrate over a contour, for practise. I can get so far, but have trouble applying the cauchy integration formula. Any hints would be fab.

OK, so I let z=eitz=e^{it}, so cos(t)=12(eit+eit)=12(z+1z) cos(t)=\frac{1}{2}(e^{it} + e^{-it}) = \frac{1}{2}(z + \frac{1}{z}) and dt=dziz dt = \frac{dz}{iz}

Taking C to be the unit circle, and substituting:

C11+3(12(z+1z))2 dziz\displaystyle\oint_C \frac{1}{1+3{(\frac{1}{2}(z+ \frac{1}{z})})^2}\ \frac{dz}{iz}

And after lots of rearranging/factoring, I reach 43iCz(z+3i)(z3i)(z+13i)(z13i) dz - \frac{4}{3} i \displaystyle\oint_C \frac{z}{(z + \sqrt{3}i)(z- \sqrt{3} i)(z+ \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} i)(z- \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}i)}\ dz

Considering singularities at 3123^{- \frac{1}{2}} and 312-3^{- \frac{1}{2}}, the integral can be reduced:

43iC1z(z+3i)(z3i)(z+13i)(z13i)dz43iC2z(z+3i)(z3i)(z13i)(z+13i)dz - \frac{4}{3} i \displaystyle\oint_{C_1} \frac{ \frac{z}{(z + \sqrt{3}i)(z- \sqrt{3} i)(z+ \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} i)}}{(z-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}i)} dz - \frac{4}{3} i \displaystyle\oint_{C_2} \frac{ \frac{z}{(z + \sqrt{3}i)(z- \sqrt{3} i)(z- \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} i)}}{(z+\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}i)} dz

Where C1C_1 is a small circle about 3123^{- \frac{1}{2}} and C2C_2 is a small circle about 312-3^{- \frac{1}{2}}.

And now I need to apply the cauchy integration formula, but I don't know where to begin! :^_^:

EDIT: Thanks for pointing out the typo :smile: And I got the answer to be pi, if anyone cares? I thought it was quite cool, anyway...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Where have the 'z's in the numerator of your last line of maths come from? (I may well just be being stupid and/or need to do some actual calculations, but I can't see it).

Edit: (You'll also find life easier if you rewrite (z+i3)(zi3)(z+i\sqrt{3})(z-i\sqrt{3}) as z^2 + 3).
Original post by Perpetuallity
And now I need to apply the cauchy integration formula, but I don't know where to begin! :^_^:

I don't understand where you're stuck. It should be fairly obvious how to proceed from there. How well do you know Cauchy's integral formula? Notice that your poles are both of first order and since the singularities are at z=13iz=\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{3}}i and z=13iz=-\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{3}}i respectively for each term.

It follows that:
43i(C1z(z+3i)(z3i)(z+13i)(z13i)dz+C2z(z+3i)(z3i)(z13i)(z+13i)dz)- \frac{4}{3}i\left( \displaystyle\oint_{C_1} \frac{ \frac{z}{(z + \sqrt{3}i)(z- \sqrt{3} i)(z+ \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} i)}}{(z-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}i)} dz + \displaystyle\oint_{C_2} \frac{ \frac{z}{(z + \sqrt{3}i)(z- \sqrt{3} i)(z- \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} i)}}{(z+\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}i)} dz \right)
=43i(2πi[z(z+3i)(z3i)(z+13i)]z=13i+2πi[z(z+3i)(z3i)(z13i)]z=13i)=- \frac{4}{3}i \left(2\pi i \left[\dfrac{z}{(z + \sqrt{3}i)(z- \sqrt{3} i)(z+ \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} i)}\right] _{z=\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}i} + 2\pi i \left[\dfrac{z}{(z + \sqrt{3}i)(z- \sqrt{3} i)(z- \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} i)}\right] _{z=-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}i}\right)

And tidy up the surds from there.

I've gotta say, this isn't the best integral to use this method on...
Original post by DFranklin
Where have the 'z's in the numerator of your last line of maths come from? (I may well just be being stupid and/or need to do some actual calculations, but I can't see it).

When the OP subbed in cos(t)\cos (t) in terms of z, this produced a 1z\dfrac{1}{z} term in the denominator.
Reply 4
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
When the OP subbed in cos(t)\cos (t) in terms of z, this produced a 1z\dfrac{1}{z} term in the denominator.
I was talking about the change from the line just before

"considering singularities..."

and the line after.

(Looking a little closer, I think there may be a z missing from the numerator of the line before, but I'm not 100% sure).

and the line after.

(Looking a little closer, I think there may be a z missing from the numerator of the line before, but I'm not 100% sure).

Oh I see, yeah there should be a zz in the numerator of the line before.
(edited 12 years ago)

and the line after.

Yeah that's a typo, sorry, it should be a z.
I don't understand where you're stuck. It should be fairly obvious how to proceed from there. How well do you know Cauchy's integral formula? Notice that your poles are both of first order and since the singularities are at z=13iz=\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{3}}i and z=13iz=-\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{3}}i respectively for each term.

It follows that:
43i(C1z(z+3i)(z3i)(z+13i)(z13i)dz+C2z(z+3i)(z3i)(z13i)(z+13i)dz)- \frac{4}{3}i\left( \displaystyle\oint_{C_1} \frac{ \frac{z}{(z + \sqrt{3}i)(z- \sqrt{3} i)(z+ \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} i)}}{(z-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}i)} dz + \displaystyle\oint_{C_2} \frac{ \frac{z}{(z + \sqrt{3}i)(z- \sqrt{3} i)(z- \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} i)}}{(z+\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}i)} dz \right)
=43i(2πi[z(z+3i)(z3i)(z+13i)]z=13i+2πi[z(z+3i)(z3i)(z13i)]z=13i)=- \frac{4}{3}i \left(2\pi i \left[\dfrac{z}{(z + \sqrt{3}i)(z- \sqrt{3} i)(z+ \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} i)}\right] _{z=\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}i} + 2\pi i \left[\dfrac{z}{(z + \sqrt{3}i)(z- \sqrt{3} i)(z- \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} i)}\right] _{z=-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}i}\right)

And tidy up the surds from there.

I've gotta say, this isn't the best integral to use this method on...

Ah cheers. I see, now. The cauchy formula on my whiteboard had an error in it :facepalm2: . I agree, It's a nasty integral for contour integration. Thanks!
Reply 8

Wow, you're already better at complex analysis than I am!
Original post by nuodai
Wow, you're already better at complex analysis than I am!

I wouldn't say I understand it too well! :wink:

If you're looking for something impressive, the OP is 16. :p:
Have you shown that the contour integral has the same value as the real valued one? I'm not sure whether it is the case with circles in the complex plane, semicircles are much nicer.
Original post by ben-smith
Have you shown that the contour integral has the same value as the real valued one? I'm not sure whether it is the case with circles in the complex plane, semicircles are much nicer.
Barring any mistakes, yes. The integrand has been constructed so that going around the circle is "the same" as integrating the original integral from 0 to 2pi. (That's where the dziz\dfrac{dz}{iz} has come from - the 'iz' is to cancel out that dzdz is ieitdtie^{it} dt).
Original post by ben-smith

I'm not convinced that a semicircular path would be 'nicer' in this particular problem. It may be due to the periodicity of the function, but I could be wrong...? :dontknow:
Original post by Perpetuallity
I'm not convinced that a semicircular path would be 'nicer' in this particular problem. It may be due to the periodicity of the function, but I could be wrong...? :dontknow:

I was talking in general, the way you've done it in this case is probably right.
A circular contour (as used here) is standard for problems where you're solving an integral of the form 02πf(sint,cost)dt\int_0^{2\pi} f(\sin t, \cos t) \,dt

Quick Reply

Latest