The Student Room Group

Keele Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SamHey789
Hello all! Yes, i'm applying, i've got to say, Keele is probably my top choice!

YAY! mine too. Just thought it would be fun to share the common joy! :biggrin:
Reply 41
Any idea what Fresher's week is like at Keele?

Actually I too was wondering about the freshers' and quality of accomodation too.
I heard Keele is not a so called party" university but I am looking forward to it because I am not a party person either.

I cannot wait until the open day on oct the 15th. :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by dunnicare
Applied last year. Rejected in March with out interview. Some of you have a very very long wait ahead of you. Good luck.

hey how does keele use ukcat? and have you got any idea how they use EPQ.....I have A*AB in maths, chem and bio respectively and B at AS physics and also E in EPQ......but EPQ is not proper As/A level qualification, is it?

But I can tell you that I have a good personal statement, i am due to start a job as a care worker at local care home and all that. I also have a good reference..

So bearing all the good piints and the bad EPQ grade do you think I have a chance to get invited for inteview????

I am so worried because I really want to get into mediccine this time round. :confused:

Thanks for your help. :smile:
Original post by Shaz51
hey how does keele use ukcat? and have you got any idea how they use EPQ.....I have A*AB in maths, chem and bio respectively and B at AS physics and also E in EPQ......but EPQ is not proper As/A level qualification, is it?

So bearing all the good piints and the bad EPQ grade do you think I have a chance to get invited for inteview????

Keeles uses UKCAT to decide between similar candidates. If you and another applicant have a very similar application and they need to pick one for interview, they will choose the one with a higher UKCAT score. It's the same case for giving offers after interview.
EPQ is a proper AS level, but if you already have a B at AS it should get overlooked.
Reply 44
Hi all,

I'm considering applying to Keele - I just have a good feeling about it! And I heard they like to promote emergency medicine, which is my future desire.

I have a UKCAT score of 745, which I'm very happy with. But as Keele don't put too much weight on UKCAT, do you think it would be safer to apply elsewhere to those Uni's that do?

I'm doing an Access to Medicine course
Reply 45
Original post by islanders
Hi all,

I'm considering applying to Keele - I just have a good feeling about it! And I heard they like to promote emergency medicine, which is my future desire.

I have a UKCAT score of 745, which I'm very happy with. But as Keele don't put too much weight on UKCAT, do you think it would be safer to apply elsewhere to those Uni's that do?

You may apply to keele if you want to, its your choice. but with a UKCAT score that strong you could apply to some other schools which distinguish candidates on the basis of their UKCAT score. :smile:

And I am not entirely sure if keele accept applicants from the "access to medicine course" though~ but if you like keele you should go for it. :biggrin:

EDIT: any tips on gettingsuch fantastic UKCAT score? Thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Hi all,

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm also interested in EM, where did you get the information that they promote EM?
Reply 47
Original post by Shaz51
You may apply to keele if you want to, its your choice. but with a UKCAT score that strong you could apply to some other schools which distinguish candidates on the basis of their UKCAT score. :smile:

And I am not entirely sure if keele accept applicants from the "access to medicine course" though~ but if you like keele you should go for it. :biggrin:

EDIT: any tips on gettingsuch fantastic UKCAT score? Thanks :smile:

Apparently they do, our tutor I believe is in regular contact with twenty or so universities to ensure the course syllabus is tailored to what they want.

My tips:

QR - much easier in the test
AR - easier in the test
DA - harder in the test
VR - much harder in the test

I thought my VR was my strongest point. I got my worst score in it!

Only use the 600Q book, or another highly recommended one. Don't bother with courses and other books - they'll pitch at the wrong level, or not suited to the UKCAT. It puts you off the mark by a little way, but it makes all the difference. Best of luck for when you take it!

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm also interested in EM, where did you get the information that they promote EM?

Again, my tutor. She's a Dr, I believe she's sat on quite a few university admissions panels, and mentioned it to me as they like Community First Responders (they've set up their own scheme) and there is a higher (although I'm not sure how much more) focus on EM
Reply 48
hey guys

basically i'm thinking of applying to keele medical school but not sure as I also like nottingham

I got
AS AAAB (B in chemistry :s-smilie:)
PREDICTED A*AA
UKCAT 650 (ranges from 630-720)

I have a pretty strong personal statment i think and a lot of workl experience. do u think its a good idea to apply for keele or would it be better toi go for nottingham??
I'm just worried that I might get a B in chemistry but if i got an A* in maths then i could still apply for keele . . . .
Reply 49
Again, my tutor. She's a Dr, I believe she's sat on quite a few university admissions panels, and mentioned it to me as they like Community First Responders (they've set up their own scheme) and there is a higher (although I'm not sure how much more) focus on EM

The first responders scheme is true. There's a society you can join to become involved.

I haven't personally noticed a particularly high emphasis on emergency medicine. Though the first thing you do in year one is a four week unit called 'Emergencies', which is quite a good way to start the course. Not just because it's interesting, but a lot of the emergencies you'll discuss ('classical' ones like an M.I., pneumothorax, shock from low blood volume [hypovolaemic shock], etc.) require you to look at some of the fundamental principles you'll use throughout your entire medical life.

I've also read that the University Hospital of North Staffordshire (the hospital at which you'll spend most of your clinical attachments) is quite well known for excellence in trauma.
Reply 50
Original post by Kinkerz
The first responders scheme is true. There's a society you can join to become involved.

I haven't personally noticed a particularly high emphasis on emergency medicine. Though the first thing you do in year one is a four week unit called 'Emergencies', which is quite a good way to start the course. Not just because it's interesting, but a lot of the emergencies you'll discuss ('classical' ones like an M.I., pneumothorax, shock from low blood volume [hypovolaemic shock], etc.) require you to look at some of the fundamental principles you'll use throughout your entire medical life.

I've also read that the University Hospital of North Staffordshire (the hospital at which you'll spend most of your clinical attachments) is quite well known for excellence in trauma.

Thank you for that - I've been a CFR for 3 years, so hopefully that might give me an extra bonus point!

I really do fancy Keele... I'll apply to Newcastle & Durham for safe bet interviews, but going to risk applying to Keele.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
does anyone know if keele does dissection or prosection or neither please? thanks
What's UKCAT? Can I just ask...? :s-smilie:
Reply 53
Original post by SylveeDiggs
does anyone know if keele does dissection or prosection or neither please? thanks

It has a strong dissection theme throughout the first two years. In year one you'll spend a couple of hours every week in the dissection room with your PBL group and a tutor around a cadaver.

Original post by Jabberwox
What's UKCAT? Can I just ask...? :s-smilie:

It's an admissions test used by over twenty of the twenty-odd medical schools you can apply to. The smallest amount of research would tell you more information.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Kinkerz
x

Keele give A*AB offers. Is this an alternative or addition to the standard AAA?
Original post by UKDOG
Keele give A*AB offers. Is this an alternative or addition to the standard AAA?

It's really 360 points from 3 A levels, with no grade below a B. So if you get either A*AB or AAA it's fine IIRC.
Reply 56
Original post by Normandy114
It's really 360 points from 3 A levels, with no grade below a B. So if you get either A*AB or AAA it's fine IIRC.

Know of any other unis that do this?
Original post by UKDOG

Fairly sure BSMS (Brighton & Sussex) do as well, but you'll have to check their website first.
Reply 58
Original post by Kinkerz
It has a strong dissection theme throughout the first two years. In year one you'll spend a couple of hours every week in the dissection room with your PBL group and a tutor around a cadaver.

I think I'm in love :eek: :tongue:
Reply 59
Original post by UKDOG

Bristol accepts A*AB too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending