The Student Room Group

Keele Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Kinkerz
The first responders scheme is true. There's a society you can join to become involved.

I haven't personally noticed a particularly high emphasis on emergency medicine. Though the first thing you do in year one is a four week unit called 'Emergencies', which is quite a good way to start the course. Not just because it's interesting, but a lot of the emergencies you'll discuss ('classical' ones like an M.I., pneumothorax, shock from low blood volume [hypovolaemic shock], etc.) require you to look at some of the fundamental principles you'll use throughout your entire medical life.

I've also read that the University Hospital of North Staffordshire (the hospital at which you'll spend most of your clinical attachments) is quite well known for excellence in trauma.

Thanks for that! I see your using their new logo :smile:
Reply 61
hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you went to keele open day and how you found it? Also do you know if the course is all PBL?

gcses: 3a*s, 9as
AS grades: AAAA
UKCAT: 600

I have tried to do a lot of research and I am thinking of applying to Leeds and HYMS but not really sure about the other two. I don't want to apply to places where they have a cut off score but not sure which other ones to choose! :frown:
Reply 62
Original post by Wilzman
I applied here last year, and got an offer, so please feel free to ask anything about the admissions process guys. I'll try my best to answer. :smile:

That said, don't ask me too much about uni life, I'm going to a different medical school so I won't be able to answer that. :tongue:

Good luck with your applications! :biggrin:

I have a UKCAT average of 585, should I bother applying to Keele again? Last year I got 520 average UKCAT.
Reply 63
i emailed Keele and they said they dont have a cut off for the UKCAT so if you have strong academics you can apply.
Reply 64
My application has gone in, I really hope Keele interview me.
Original post by UKDOG
Know of any other unis that do this?

Brighton & Sussex Medical School offer 360 UCAS points (no grade below a B), and Biology and Chemistry MUST be at grade A.

So A*AB (Bio and Chem being the A* and A, not necessarily in that order), or AAA.
Reply 66
sam what were your stats
Reply 67
Please, need some help!!!
GCSEs: 9 A*'s

AS grades:
Biology C
Chemistry B
Maths A
Psychology A Predicted A* AAA UKCAT 610

Do I have a chance at medicine?
Hoping to apply
Keele, Peninsula, KCL, Leeds?

Thank you !
xx
Reply 68
Original post by Kitty..x
Please, need some help!!!
GCSEs: 9 A*'s

AS grades:
Biology C
Chemistry B
Maths A
Psychology A Predicted A* AAA UKCAT 610

Do I have a chance at medicine?
Hoping to apply
Keele, Peninsula, KCL, Leeds?

Thank you !
xx

Without any basic research skills? Probably not.
Reply 69
Original post by Kinkerz
Without any basic research skills? Probably not.

I need advice, what do you mean "basic" research skills? What suggests I don't have a chance? Please, help..
thanks
Reply 70
Original post by Kitty..x
I need advice, what do you mean "basic" research skills? What suggests I don't have a chance? Please, help..
thanks

Basic research skills generally consist of the capacity to google search and, in this particular paradigm, use the TSR medicine wiki page.
Reply 71
Original post by .eXe
sam what were your stats

AS:
A- Bio
A- Chem
A- RS
B- Lit

Predicted Grades:
A*- RS
A - Bio
A -Chem

EPQ: Transfusion science and Artificial

GCSEs: 3A* 5A 4B

UKCAT: 2570 (643)

:smile:
Reply 72
My application got sent off today! :biggrin:
Original post by SamHey789
AS:
A- Bio
A- Chem
A- RS
B- Lit

Predicted Grades:
A*- RS
A - Bio
A -Chem

EPQ: Transfusion science and Artificial

GCSEs: 3A* 5A 4B

UKCAT: 2570 (643)

:smile:

Random, but we have very similar academics :tongue:! I do Maths instead of RS though! Also if you don't mind me asking, to what extent did you mention your EPQ in your personal statement? Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 74
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
Random, but we have very similar academics :tongue:! I do Maths instead of RS though! Also if you don't mind me asking, to what extent did you mention your EPQ in your personal statement? Thanks :biggrin:

I had a relatively short paragraph explaining why research is good in medicine, what i was doing, and what i hoped to achieve from it, not more than 4 lines.
Reply 75

Anybody got a confirmation email back from Keele? I've recieved them from UEA and Leicester, but not Keele (or Nottingham).
Original post by Iaso
Anybody got a confirmation email back from Keele? I've recieved them from UEA and Leicester, but not Keele (or Nottingham).

Nope, I've received nothing from any of my five choices.
Reply 77
Hi i am applying too keele i wanted to know how strict they are with GCSE i got an A* 3 A's and 2 B's any opnions =)
Original post by SylveeDiggs
Well they want six GCSEs at grade C and above, with english lang and maths at an A :smile: You get no extra points for scoring higher than what they require.

Nope, don't know where you got that from.

It's a minimum of 4 A's at GCSE, as well as Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Language at B grade or above.
Reply 79
Original post by Normandy114
Nope, don't know where you got that from.

It's a minimum of 4 A's at GCSE, as well as Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Language at B grade or above.

Was just about to say I accidently wrote HYMS's requirements instead :tongue:

Quick Reply