The Student Room Group

Keele Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by Scarface-Don
Congrats! :biggrin: would you mind posting your stats please?

GCSEs: 2A*, 3A, 3B, 1C
AS: AABB
Predicted A Level: A*AA

Work exp.: care home for over 1 year, hospital for over 1 year, shadowed doctor for a day, worked with PMLD children for a couple of months.

Sorry to hear about rejections, and well done to all of you with interviews/offers!
Original post by leezee
can somebody tell me what exactly is Keele looking for. I know grades aren't everything, but if you have loads of work experience, you can't possibly fit that all in your 2000 word personal statement. So everybody must be really similar.. I am really disappointed, I had 8A* 3A at GCSE, A Chemistry, A Biology, A Maths, A Further maths at AS predicted 3A* A at A2, 620 ukcat had decent work experience in hospitals, clinics, charity shops.. I got rejected w/o interview!!!

It's not about how much work experience/volunteering you did, but what you demonstrated you learned from the experiences in your personal statement.

Your grades are excellent, but unfortunately that won't get you far in Keele's admissions process (and, as you have argued for work experience, everybody is really similar; medicine applicants tend to have excellent grades).

If you don't get a place this year, I'm sure if you reapply with those grades (and you'll probably do better on the UKCAT, having prior experience of sitting it) to places that value grades highly you'd get a place.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1042
Yeahh think keele are big on work experience.

I only got 4 A's at gcse and 6 B's
And BBBE for my AS (shocking)
Predicted AAA
Uk at was 550
(academic wise - I'm sh**)

But iv donee a stupid amount of workkk experience.
Iv volunteered in hospital for over 2 years, I went to go work in the Caribbean, St.Lucia for 3 weeks at the hospital, where I got clinical training, was doing canulars and taking blood. Helped a woman give birth when I was at the maternity ward. In England, I was given the chance to do a 3 week placement where I got basic clinical training and did two day placements in each department. And, I'm currently working part time as a Health Care Assistant in A&E. Done loads of other stuff.
And I managed to bag an interview for keele.
So they proper love dedicated to medicine people!
I just need to focus this year on getting the three A's :')
Reply 1043
Original post by Shalo1

Predicted AAA
Uk at was 550

Iv volunteered in hospital for over 2 years, I went to go work in the Caribbean, St.Lucia for 3 weeks at the hospital, where I got clinical training, was doing canulars and taking blood. Helped a woman give birth when I was at the maternity ward. In England, I was given the chance to do a 3 week placement where I got basic clinical training and did two day placements in each department. And, I'm currently working part time as a Health Care Assistant in A&E. Done loads of other stuff.

Hey, congratulations on getting the interview... I shouldn't have applied to Keele, should have applied more tacticlly...

How did you fit all your work experience into your personal statement, I would really like to know ! :smile:

I can't help but be really disappointed... I don't even know what to think about the fact they put soooo much emphasis on personals tatement/work experience and not so much on all that effort someone has put into studying and achieving those A*s. Again disappointed.. and gutted...

GOOD LUCk !!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1044
Original post by leezee
Hey, congratulations on getting the interview... I shouldn't have applied to Keele, should have applied more tacticlly...

How did you fit all your work experience into your personal statement, I would really like to know ! :smile:

I can't help but be really disappointed... I don't even know what to think about the fact they put soooo much emphasis on personals tatement/work experience and not so much on all that effort someone has put into studying and achieving those A*s. Again disappointed.. and gutted...

GOOD LUCk !!

I think getting those a* are worth soo much more than experience. Coz at the end of the day if you dont get the A's you won't get in anywhere.
I just applied to unis that dont really focus on gcse's and ukcat.

And for my personal statement I just wrote it systematically where I just stated wat I did and then said what I learnt. Avoided writing any sort of storyline or sob story that most people have a habit of doing :')
Original post by Parle à ma main
You'll be OK- if you haven't been rejected in this wave, then that's a good sign :smile: xxx

Thanks, babe. I'm just naturally a little bit scared. This is it :') xx
Keele has to get back to us either today, Monday or Tuesday (according to the fact that they said they'll get back to us in January). Fingers crossed!
Original post by Shalo1

Predicted AAA
Uk at was 550

congrats on your interview! did you get an offer?
mine's next weeeek!
Reply 1048
Original post by leezee

GOOD LUCk !!

It shouldn't be a narrative of what you did, then what you did, then what you did, then what you did etc. Its about what you learn, how you reflect. If you were with a GP for a morning, what did you learn from it, how did it confirm your choice to do medicine? Did it highlight an aspect of healthcare you feel is important? Did it show potential problems with a career as a doctor, and how you would look to overcome them?

Its this sort of thing that looks good, rather than following a consultant around a ward for 12 weeks. I follow a consultant around a ward 3 times a week and, even as a third year, the amount I learn is minimal. Its about going away and making sense of it relevent to what you want to get out of it
Original post by BOD13
It shouldn't be a narrative of what you did, then what you did, then what you did, then what you did etc. Its about what you learn, how you reflect. If you were with a GP for a morning, what did you learn from it, how did it confirm your choice to do medicine? Did it highlight an aspect of healthcare you feel is important? Did it show potential problems with a career as a doctor, and how you would look to overcome them?

Its this sort of thing that looks good, rather than following a consultant around a ward for 12 weeks. I follow a consultant around a ward 3 times a week and, even as a third year, the amount I learn is minimal. Its about going away and making sense of it relevent to what you want to get out of it

seen as you go to Keele, i was wondering what you think is their teaching style? it says intergrated on their website but is it more PBL? thank you :smile:
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
seen as you go to Keele, i was wondering what you think is their teaching style? it says intergrated on their website but is it more PBL? thank you :smile:

Integrated is about the the preclinical-clinical divide. It has nothing to do with structure (i.e., PBL/lecture-based).

I think UEA is the only purely integrated course (i.e., they don't have a preclinical phase preceding a clinical phase).
Original post by Kinkerz
Integrated is about the the preclinical-clinical divide. It has nothing to do with structure (i.e., PBL/lecture-based).

I think UEA is the only purely integrated course (i.e., they don't have a preclinical phase preceding a clinical phase).

thanks :smile: also, do you know the difference between summatives and formatives?
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
thanks :smile: also, do you know the difference between summatives and formatives?

Summative: assessment that counts towards your overall score.
Formative: assessment that doesn't count towards your overall score (i.e., a mock).
Reply 1053
Does anybody know if the interviews for the foundation program have been sent out? It says on the applicant area of Keele's site that they will be in-touch with everybody during jan. That only leaves today, Monday and Tuesday. Is the foundation program handled last? Can't find anything on the medical stalker thread, but thought I would just check. Thanks :-)
Original post by Scarface-Don
Keele has to get back to us either today, Monday or Tuesday (according to the fact that they said they'll get back to us in January). Fingers crossed!

Fingers, toes, eyes and anything else we can!! Xx
Keele said they would notify us about our application in Jan

Why leave it late? :colonhash:
Reply 1056
Original post by This Honest
Keele said they would notify us about our application in Jan

Why leave it late? :colonhash:

Its all a stress test I tell you!
Reply 1057
I hope keele give out mass interviews and rejections on monday and Tuesday so we all know where we stand! But I highly doubt we will hear much! I'm a graduate reapplicant and it would be really nice to hear back soon!
Reply 1058
Just a note guys, I'm a med student at Keele now and I didn't get an interview till the 24th March and an offer till even later, so there is still loads of time :smile:
Original post by leezee
can somebody tell me what exactly is Keele looking for. I know grades aren't everything, but if you have loads of work experience, you can't possibly fit that all in your 2000 word personal statement. So everybody must be really similar.. I am really disappointed, I had 8A* 3A at GCSE, A Chemistry, A Biology, A Maths, A Further maths at AS predicted 3A* A at A2, 620 ukcat had decent work experience in hospitals, clinics, charity shops.. I got rejected w/o interview!!!

The fact of the matter is that about 2000 other people who are equally as talented and motivated as you also applied. It's definitely nothing against you personally, and there is no reason to say you wouldn't be a fabulous doctor. The vast majority of people who apply for Medicine receive rejections (I've received 2 without interview), and it doesn't do to dwell on the fact that one university decided you weren't their cup of tea :smile:
Chin up, and good luck :console:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending