The Student Room Group

Postgrad or work?

Hi all, I've just graduated with a 2:1 and have been offered a place on an MA course. The thing is I don't know if I really want to go through with it after studying hard for three years. I've been working since June as a teaching assistant in a school and have recently returned there after the holidays. I could work there a couple of days a week at the same time as studying for my MA but there may even be the possibility of working full-time for a while which would seriously help my ambitions of becoming a teacher. Anyway, what I want to know is is an MA worth it? Would it be too much hard work to have a part-time job at the same time? Should I have a break from education from a year and gain valuable experience in a school?

Sorry for rambling on.
Reply 1
Original post by jackconn
Hi all, I've just graduated with a 2:1 and have been offered a place on an MA course. The thing is I don't know if I really want to go through with it after studying hard for three years. I've been working since June as a teaching assistant in a school and have recently returned there after the holidays. I could work there a couple of days a week at the same time as studying for my MA but there may even be the possibility of working full-time for a while which would seriously help my ambitions of becoming a teacher. Anyway, what I want to know is is an MA worth it? Would it be too much hard work to have a part-time job at the same time? Should I have a break from education from a year and gain valuable experience in a school?

Sorry for rambling on.

If you want to become a teacher then experience in the classroom matters above everything else. A masters will make you stand out in the application phase (to some), but you will not get any formal praise for being "more qualified" as a teacher. In fact, some providers will consider you too qualified.

If you study and work part time then this year will be hectic, but if you move into teaching then you might not, realistically, ever get a chance to do a masters. For me, it would come down to money. If you can afford it with no problems then go for it. But if you are going to struggle then do not bother.
Reply 2
Speaking as a mature student with many years in industry, if you can at all face another year of study: do it. The master's degree will open doors that the year of experience won't. I can understand not wanting to do another year of study but if you can do it the rewards will be greater than a year as a full time TA instead of a part time TA.
Reply 3
Cheers for the responses. @evantej, do you think it would be a struggle to study for an MA and work part-time (2 days a week)?
Reply 4
@ThaddeusAid, does it make a big difference in your opinion then?
Reply 5
@ThaddeusAid, does it make a big difference in your opinion then?

yes, Evantej is right that you may over qualify yourself for some jobs at the start of your career but you will compensate for that with your part time job enabling you to apply for better jobs than if you just have a year of experience. Also having the Master's will raise the ceiling in your pay scale and position will allow in the career long run. You career will be easier with a Master's though you may struggle a bit with a first position.
Reply 6
Cheers for the responses. @evantej, do you think it would be a struggle to study for an MA and work part-time (2 days a week)?

A woman on my programme studied part time and worked full time. She organised with her employer when to make up the time she took off during the week to attend classes. For example, she would have lessons on Wednesday from 11-1 then basically head straight from class to work and then stay later. She did most of the reading etc. at home in her own time and seemed to do fine. Clearly you cannot do this if your class times class since the school is only open at limited periods. But I guess it depends on your subject; working two days a week should not be a problem so long as you are organised.

ThaddeusAid is right about a masters, in principle, opening more doors. But there is a lot of inverse snobbery. You will get no praise or reward for having a masters in the teaching profession, which has elements of inverse snobbery depending upon the school you work in. In this sense, if you cannot motivate yourself to do a masters (and the workload is more than double what you get as a third year) then I would just save your money, especially if you know teaching is for you.
Reply 7
If you leave teaching as a profession a Master's will be a very good investment. I'm not sure how attached you are tot eh profession given how competitive it is for places, but having a Master's will be an excellent fall back if it doesn't work out.
Reply 8
Postgrad or work?
Reply 9
Thanks again, both of you. Did you work during your MA @evantej? And how many hours a week did you spend on your course? And @ThaddeusAid, I do see what you mean and have always aimed to study for an MA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending