Basketball Society

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steviexo)
    Thanks
    The only thing is there's nothing to practice shooting with... :/
    I need to seriously work on my diet too!
    lol ahh i know that problem, what i do is lay on my bed each day and shoot like 100 shots in the air, it isnt much but it works on form, first time i did it couple summers ago i made 43/50 free throws the next day (no breaks in between) but i train pretty heavily in the summer

mee too i eat like a pig, if mcdz had loyalty cards.. smh lool
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youngzwavey)
    lol ahh i know that problem, what i do is lay on my bed each day and shoot like 100 shots in the air, it isnt much but it works on form, first time i did it couple summers ago i made 43/50 free throws the next day (no breaks in between) but i train pretty heavily in the summer

mee too i eat like a pig, if mcdz had loyalty cards.. smh lool
    Practically every basketball player eats like a pig lol, i've yet to meet one that doesn't. I'm sure on days i play i consume~3500 calories but still drop some fat.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    Me, i only realised there's a nation league team in the area i live. Imma try out for the Under 18's mens this year. Now to start lifting weights...... need more strength :P
    At least i got my 15ft jumper down.
    And when i go uni in a couple years i'll definitely play there
    Be careful with weights, make sure you have rest days.
    And always stretch a lot.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steviexo)
    middlesex!
    any advice on what i should work on most? fitness wise?
    If your Coach is coach Jerome.......all im saying is that he's late for everything, so you got to be patience
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Practically every basketball player eats like a pig lol, i've yet to meet one that doesn't. I'm sure on days i play i consume~3500 calories but still drop some fat.
    lol i know, its bad, i remember when i saw a video of team usa eating burgers and chips on the road, i took that as a sign i could eat what i like and still make it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys, i appretiate it
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Be careful with weights, make sure you have rest days.
    And always stretch a lot.
    I know lol, i used to lift weights for rugby :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol i know, its bad, i remember when i saw a video of team usa eating burgers and chips on the road, i took that as a sign i could eat what i like and still make it
    or every all star game :P or the fact that they get through a few boxes of donuts between a team daily :P (NBA)
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know lol, i used to lift weights for rugby :P
    Yeah make sure u get enough protein............im only talking about the stretches mainly, its really important you get that sorted, then you can push your body further with being less injury prone.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooo some basketball people as well what positions you all play?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)
    been playing 4/5 due to height at sixth form but back to normality 1/2 when i go to uni september
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    been playing 4/5 due to height at sixth form but back to normality 1/2 when i go to uni september
    Lucky you, i can only play the 1 right now due to my height restrictions. Used to play the 2/3,now i can only play point guard. Still hoping for a growth spurt to push me into the 6 ft range but i doubt itl happen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you, i can only play the 1 right now due to my height restrictions. Used to play the 2/3,now i can only play point guard. Still hoping for a growth spurt to push me into the 6 ft range but i doubt itl happen.
    you never know, i used to be short then had a massive spurt keep stretching too, don't you like the 1?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    you never know, i used to be short then had a massive spurt keep stretching too, don't you like the 1?
    I guess ,my brother who used to be tiny shot up to 6 ft 3 now. I dont particularly enjoy point guard. I think im a much better Shooting Guard.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to play at uni from September! I have just played for fun so far because I move a lot so couldn't commit to any team but I'd say I'm a fairly decent player.

Love playing as a point guard, passing and making the team play is pretty much my cup of tea. I'm a okay-ish shooter. My biggest drawback is possibly that I lack stamina. :P
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    I'm hoping to play at uni from September! I have just played for fun so far because I move a lot so couldn't commit to any team but I'd say I'm a fairly decent player.

Love playing as a point guard, passing and making the team play is pretty much my cup of tea. I'm a okay-ish shooter. My biggest drawback is possibly that I lack stamina. :P
    Yeah getting the stamina up is pretty tough, all i can say is do as much jogging in the morning or afternoon and try go as long as you can over time you should improve. Shooting has always been my cup of tea, if i can get in a rhythm early then its all good Biggest drawback is my size and pretty injury prone.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love B-Ball
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was never really a B'ball fan, but our Maths Society had a few guys who wanted to set up a team and I decided I'd help them out even though I'd not played for 5 years.

Was a bit of a shambles when we first started, got trounced a few times, but as we've had more and more trainings the team aspect has really shown and we've beaten some established Society teams.

I tend to play centre as I'm not the tallest, though I'm more defensively-minded as I can't shoot to save my life - passing/vision is a lot better than most though so I often dictate the plays.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The position where the guy isn't too fast.... except the 5, i can't go up strong so that's out of the question. Normally it's three and the guys in school/ smaller leagues are a few inches taller than me but i rarely shoot so i can d them up ok. Plus they're around as fast as i am so that isn't a problem either.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah getting the stamina up is pretty tough, all i can say is do as much jogging in the morning or afternoon and try go as long as you can over time you should improve. Shooting has always been my cup of tea, if i can get in a rhythm early then its all good Biggest drawback is my size and pretty injury prone.
    Mine's defence, i only recently started shooting well after weeks of constant practice and a sudden strength boost from nowhere. I generally like keeping my man in man-to-man to like 4-5 points a game while i'm on. The game in effect becomes 4-on-4.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 7, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.