Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basketball Society

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Was never really a B'ball fan, but our Maths Society had a few guys who wanted to set up a team and I decided I'd help them out even though I'd not played for 5 years.

Was a bit of a shambles when we first started, got trounced a few times, but as we've had more and more trainings the team aspect has really shown and we've beaten some established Society teams.

I tend to play centre as I'm not the tallest, though I'm more defensively-minded as I can't shoot to save my life - passing/vision is a lot better than most though so I often dictate the plays.
    Ahh nice i first started as a joke at my old school, we had a reward system for people who played lots of sports and to get in the upper echelons of the system you needed to be apart of 4 of the teams. I was only part of the Football, Athletics and Baseball team. So i joined the basketball team and because of really my speed and iq i was picked in haha

Learnt plays and stuff watching Nba and playing on the Xbox so it really helped, 6 months later got picked internationally for Singapore and really ended up becoming my main sport. Shame in Wales its pretty small.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    Mine's defence, i only recently started shooting well after weeks of constant practice and a sudden strength boost from nowhere. I generally like keeping my man in man-to-man to like 4-5 points a game while i'm on. The game in effect becomes 4-on-4.
    Yeah i dont mind defense but a lot of the time the other team exposes our lack of a proper center. I dont really enjoy having to dictate the pace of the offence and would much rather cut to the basket or spot up.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)
    Ahh nice i first started as a joke at my old school, we had a reward system for people who played lots of sports and to get in the upper echelons of the system you needed to be apart of 4 of the teams. I was only part of the Football, Athletics and Baseball team. So i joined the basketball team and because of really my speed and iq i was picked in haha

Learnt plays and stuff watching Nba and playing on the Xbox so it really helped, 6 months later got picked internationally for Singapore and really ended up becoming my main sport. Shame in Wales its pretty small.
    Ah wow nice!

I soon learnt from the training sessions that it's a very intensive game, a far cry from what I remembered from my schooldays, but as I was already doing football, rugby, badminton, tennis and rounders I figured another sport wouldn't hurt. :lol:

My speed isn't my greatest asset because I'm a big guy (~90kg) and because I broke my leg last year, but I make up for it in other ways - usually strength and determination meaning I concede a lot of fouls. :lol:
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Ah wow nice!

I soon learnt from the training sessions that it's a very intensive game, a far cry from what I remembered from my schooldays, but as I was already doing football, rugby, badminton, tennis and rounders I figured another sport wouldn't hurt. :lol:

My speed isn't my greatest asset because I'm a big guy (~90kg) and because I broke my leg last year, but I make up for it in other ways - usually strength and determination meaning I concede a lot of fouls. :lol:
    Damn thats a lot of sports haha, yeah i thought before i played it that it was easy just going back and fourth on a small court. But then i realized its really a lot of running back and fourth in and around people.

Speed is my asset becomes im a sprinter, size just isnt and i would say strength is okay although if you saw me on the street you wouldnt exactly think this guy is a freak of nature unlike some other basketball players :lol:

Yeah i tore my hamstring and broke my ankle and its been really quite weak since then trying to get it up to scratch again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I guess ,my brother who used to be tiny shot up to 6 ft 3 now. I dont particularly enjoy point guard. I think im a much better Shooting Guard.
    more of a scorer , there's plenty of smaller 2 guards around, as long as you can shoot it no one can question you, i hate people telling me height defines the position someone can play
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youngzwavey)
    more of a scorer , there's plenty of smaller 2 guards around, as long as you can shoot it no one can question you, i hate people telling me height defines the position someone can play
    Yeah definately more of a scorer, i dont mind passing but its a lot harder to get into a rhythm shooting when i need to control pace and flow of the game. I would rather just focus on making my runs and screens.

Would be great if height didnt define it although i just want like a couple more inches to get to 6 ft then i would be thrilled.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

That's how i learnt all the rules and the plays as well only on the pc rather than the xbox :P. Be glad you have your speed, i have none and find it impossible to find an open shot as i'm only a half step in front of my man rather than a full one during a drive or a step back. I live near Birmingham in a town of 250,00 and we don't have a single team :L.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    That's how i learnt all the rules and the plays as well only on the pc rather than the xbox :P. Be glad you have your speed, i have none and find it impossible to find an open shot as i'm only a half step in front of my man rather than a full one during a drive or a step back. I live near Birmingham in a town of 250,00 and we don't have a single team :L.
    My speed causes a lot of injury problems though haha its like my body cant keep up with it. ooo thats bad that theres so many and not one team
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My speed causes a lot of injury problems though haha its like my body cant keep up with it. ooo thats bad that theres so many and not one team
    I'll d you up, i just hope you can't swish it :L
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm technically a guard with being 6ft and like 100kg+ :/
    I used to be able to hold off the faster players well, slacking on the stamina now
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    I'm technically a guard with being 6ft and like 100kg+ :/
    I used to be able to hold off the faster players well, slacking on the stamina now
    seasons are pretty much done or finishing up, off-season workouts from now ready for oct!
    • 88 followers

ReputationRep:
    This so much. I played for my school team in basketball and in a league team. I'm the tallest guy in my year at 6'4", so they'd try to make me play centre at school.

I'm a guard.
    Haven't played ANY basketball in well over a year though...I miss it. Hoping to get back into it at uni.
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    seasons are pretty much done or finishing up, off-season workouts from now ready for oct!
    Yeah, my old under 18 team made the final 4 I think
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This was posted from The Student Room's Android app

Yeah I'm going school with d1 team so going to make thirds... Still summer is coming up, whole summer getting my shot back. Who we got for NBA final this year. Spurs Celtics my choice :-)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spurs i think will win.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they came down from 21 last night

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    I used to till i got a torn meniscus, now it's more casual
    OMG dude, i got a torn meniscus too :O haha i thought i was the only one.. I am no longer alone anyway, despite my torn meniscus (in both knees) i'm having surgery soon and hope to get back to playing point guard for my national league team ASAP
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lebron_23)
    OMG dude, i got a torn meniscus too :O haha i thought i was the only one.. I am no longer alone anyway, despite my torn meniscus (in both knees) i'm having surgery soon and hope to get back to playing point guard for my national league team ASAP
    How did u get in born knees o.O????????????

Surgery is ok, knee's feel quite awkward when trying to play again, and you should definitely rest thoroughly.
    Which team?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I seriously don't know how i got it in both knees.. My physiotherapist said it was remarkably uncommon seeing as i'm only 16 haha. And yeah my surgery should be happening sometime in the near future and apparently i won't be able to bend my knees more than 60 degrees after that. However, once the prescribed 3 month healing period is over is should be ready to go again. Tbh, i only realised something was wrong in my knees when i discovered that i was jumping lower, i couldn't get enough lift on my jump shot so i kept front-rimming most of my shots (my FGP went from .682 [best on my team and probably in the league] to less than .300) and when landing of layups or getting rebounds my knees would either lock up later in the game, or if i was lucky, they'd just throb mildly for the rest of the evening. I'm blaming it on Air Alert 3 though..

Did you have similar problems???

And i play/used to play for/am going to play again for West London Basketball Club, although i think they renamed themselves as Emperors What team di you/do you play for?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello buddys,

Im going to study in Birmingham the following september. As a crazy fan of Basketball I would be really interested to find out some information around this topic....

are there any trials?
    are there teams for students?
    do i need any paper from doctor to play?
    is there any non proffessional league in Midlands _?

i will be happy to get any response. Btw i am 24 y.o. 180, 85kg, not injured, small/power forward i guess used to play in Greece for 7 years, nothing of a superstar, mostly a team guy who enjoys to play defence...so now that you briefly know about my basketball CV , if anyone of you would need a guy like me in your team do not hesitate to contact me...I will move to birmingham in the biggining of september...

guys, thank you in advance...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 7, 2013
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.