The Student Room Group

Computer science without A-level maths

So I've read through a couple of threads similair to this via google,but they're now pretty old so I'd like some up to date info.

Basically Im starting into my A-level year now and got AAAB at As in Computing, Physics, Technology and Chemistry respectively. I hadnt really decided on what degree I was gonna do until halfway through last year.But me being awkward about life as I am thought i wouldn't need maths if I had physics.I only realised my mistake recently and have tried to drop chemistry to take on As maths this year,but i can't as it conflicts with my current timetable.

Should i be alright with just physics and computing in regards to difficulty of the actual degree at say places such as lancaster,glasgow or Queens belfast?(these places don't require maths). I got an A at maths GCSE and D in Add maths.(the D in add maths was due to laziness more than ability I think).I'll probably end up with A* in comp and tech but maybe only a B in phys.

Also would places such as Edinburgh accept me without maths?(I'm just going by league tables and rough entry requirements)

Thanks for any advice on what I should do aswell.

....:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by Duchaino
So I've read through a couple of threads similair to this via google,but they're now pretty old so I'd like some up to date info.

Basically Im starting into my A-level year now and got AAAB at As in Computing, Physics, Technology and Chemistry respectively. I hadnt really decided on what degree I was gonna do until halfway through last year.But me being awkward about life as I am thought i wouldn't need maths if I had physics.I only realised my mistake recently and have tried to drop chemistry to take on As maths this year,but i can't as it conflicts with my current timetable.

Should i be alright with just physics and computing in regards to difficulty of the actual degree at say places such as lancaster,glasgow or Queens belfast?(these places don't require maths). I got an A at maths GCSE and D in Add maths.(the D in add maths was due to laziness more than ability I think).I'll probably end up with A* in comp and tech but maybe only a B in phys.

Also would places such as Edinburgh accept me without maths?(I'm just going by league tables and rough entry requirements)

Thanks for any advice on what I should do aswell.

....:s-smilie:

Maths is a must for most computer science courses and the good uni's (e.g Edinburgh) require at least an A in maths.
Maybe try and take at least AS outside of school or just self teach? From what I hear it's almost a must at most good places :/
Original post by Dibs_anim

I don't know much about the specific universities and their courses, but if they say they don't need maths, you should be fine without... (but it would appear Edinburgh do want Maths)

Seeing as you've taken Physics, you will have at least some mathematical skills which will be useful for the course.
Reply 4
The actual content of A-level Maths probably won't help you a great deal on a CS degree (apart from some specific applications, like image processing) as most of the maths you'll use will be discrete, as opposed to continuous, ie set theory, graph theory, and so on. Most universities use A-level Maths as a measure of aptitude -- if you're capable of doing well in that, you'll probably be good at CS. Of course, there's not a 1:1 correlation, but it's pretty high.
Reply 5
hmm...thanks for the info.Ill look into self teaching.what would be the best way for me to go about it for the ccea board??
Reply 6
Cardiff University do not require mathematics at a-level and it is a well respected university. Therefore, it is possible to go to a good university to study computer science without mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending