The Student Room Group

UEA Medicine with a foundation year A104 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
It looks as though they do the interviews in March (looking at the 2011 Medicine page) - so I would of thought we will start hearing from them around the Jan/Feb time.
Reply 121
I received an acknowledgement email from UEA around october time. I pasted a bit of it here:

All sections are marked and the scores for each candidate are then standardised and ranked hierarchically for short-listing for interview.

Interview:

The top 96 applicants will be invited for interview. The majority of interviews will take place in March 2012.
Reply 122
Original post by Tausif
I received an acknowledgement email from UEA around october time. I pasted a bit of it here:

All sections are marked and the scores for each candidate are then standardised and ranked hierarchically for short-listing for interview.

Interview:

The top 96 applicants will be invited for interview. The majority of interviews will take place in March 2012.

Yeah I got this too. It goes on to say:

Due to the volume of applications received, the above outlined process will take some time to carry out. We ask for your patience in allowing us to complete the necessary screening procedures for all applicants. We envisage that candidates who are short-listed for interview will be hearing from us mid- February 2012.

Unlike last year where people started hearing in late jan.
Reply 123
Original post by Medican
Yeah I got this too. It goes on to say:

Unlike last year where people started hearing in late jan.

Hey Medican, hope ur having a nice xmas break. i just notices on this page http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry#East_Anglia some foundation applicants have already been rejected.:eek:
Reply 124
Original post by Tausif
Hey Medican, hope ur having a nice xmas break. i just notices on this page http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry#East_Anglia some foundation applicants have already been rejected.:eek:

Hey, hope you're resting well too. :biggrin: Yes it appears the list of rejections has grown. From what I understand it's those who don't meet the academic criteria at least (could also be the based on the contextual questionnaire I'm not sure tbh) so we may well have passed those stages of the application but nothing is for certain. :s-smilie:

Hopefully January will be a busier month for us. Waiting is driving me loony. :s-smilie:
Reply 125
Sorry to jump on this thread so late but I've only just discovered about doing premed. I was wondering if they accept AS level module resits?? Also, what is the competition like for premed? I do bio maths and art this year, and dropped chem as i got a D, so would i still be eligible for premed? I'm in year 13, but obviously applying for 2013 as I've missed the 2012 applications, and I'm planning to start work experience in a gp in the new year, and hopefully hospital work experience after exams (I also teach swimming, am a qualified lifeguard, volunteer for crisis at xmas and am planning to do more homeless volunteer work), have i got a shot at premed???
Reply 126
Original post by star*
Sorry to jump on this thread so late but I've only just discovered about doing premed. I was wondering if they accept AS level module resits?? Also, what is the competition like for premed? I do bio maths and art this year, and dropped chem as i got a D, so would i still be eligible for premed? I'm in year 13, but obviously applying for 2013 as I've missed the 2012 applications, and I'm planning to start work experience in a gp in the new year, and hopefully hospital work experience after exams (I also teach swimming, am a qualified lifeguard, volunteer for crisis at xmas and am planning to do more homeless volunteer work), have i got a shot at premed???

Well first off it's not called premed. :tongue: Premed is the term used for a student in the US who wants to study medicine but is doing another degree first. This is the case in America. You have to have a degree first to study medicine. It's not for undergraduate. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes the do accept module resits but as long as you finish A levels with in 2 years it's fine. The good thing about UEA's foundation course is you can apply with any A levels although it wouldn't do you any harm to retake a module and get that D to a C but that's up to you really. The only reason why I suggest this is because certain parts of UEA's entry requirements have changed this year for both foundation and standard courses and they may well change next year although tbh it's unlikely they'll require you to have an extra AS. :dontknow:

What you're doing sounds really good but remember to just reflect well on those in your PS. I think you stand a pretty good chance. Word of advice, start applying for work exp near March time if you want to do it in the summer. Sometimes there are some pretty long waiting lists.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 127
Original post by Medican

Original post by Medican
Well first off it's not called premed. :tongue: Premed is the term used for a student in the US who wants to study medicine but is doing another degree first. This is the case in America. You have to have a degree first to study medicine. It's not for undergraduate. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes the do accept module resits but as long as you finish A levels with in 2 years it's fine. The good thing about UEA's foundation course is you can apply with any A levels although it wouldn't do you any harm to retake a module and get that D to a C but that's up to you really. The only reason why I suggest this is because certain parts of UEA's entry requirements have changed this year for both foundation and standard courses and they may well change next year although tbh it's unlikely they'll require you to have an extra AS. :dontknow:

What you're doing sounds really good but remember to just reflect well on those in your PS. I think you stand a pretty good chance. Word of advice, start applying for work exp near March time if you want to do it in the summer. Sometimes there are some pretty long waiting lists.

Good luck. :smile:

thanks so much for all the advice :smile: I'm going to call UEA admissions today anyway just to check
Reply 128
Are we likely to hear after the A100 applicants ? :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by Kevlar R
Are we likely to hear after the A100 applicants ? :smile:

From the acknowledgement email they had sent us, we are likely to hear from them mid- february
Reply 130
Original post by Tausif
From the acknowledgement email they had sent us, we are likely to hear from them mid- february

Thanks for the reply :smile: Yea I literally just finshed reading that haha
Reply 131
Could anyone explain what UEA mean by

'We do not accept any resit qualifications at A2 level or equivalent for this course.'

so does that mean we cant resits any of our A2 exams?

very confuddled...

Thanks,

B
Original post by Bri8

'We do not accept any resit qualifications at A2 level or equivalent for this course.'

very confuddled...

Thanks,

B

I think we can't resit A2 exams but can resit AS exams :/

Email/call them?
Reply 133
Original post by Bri8

very confuddled...

Thanks,

B

I think it's just referring to retake students (3rd year of A levels).

But check anyway.

M
Reply 134
Original post by IamBeowulf
I think we can't resit A2 exams but can resit AS exams :/

Email/call them?

UEA email:

'this means that we will not accept any resits, both at module level and if re-sat after the original A2 level has been completed'

this still confuddles me lol..
Reply 135
Original post by Bri8
UEA email:

'this means that we will not accept any resits, both at module level and if re-sat after the original A2 level has been completed'

this still confuddles me lol..

The policy for this course is now not to accept resit applicants. So if you're resitting any of your A levels then you would not be eligible for the A104 course, only the A100 (assuming you had a BBB average at first sit).
Reply 136
Original post by UEAMedic
The policy for this course is now not to accept resit applicants. So if you're resitting any of your A levels then you would not be eligible for the A104 course, only the A100 (assuming you had a BBB average at first sit).

but it says module so i can't resit my A2s no?

better get working..
Reply 137
Original post by Bri8

better get working..

For the A104 it says no resit applicants at A2 or equivalent. I am unsure if this extends to module resits. Give me a few days, I will clarify with the admissions department and get back to you!
Reply 138
Original post by UEAMedic
For the A104 it says no resit applicants at A2 or equivalent. I am unsure if this extends to module resits. Give me a few days, I will clarify with the admissions department and get back to you!

Do you know what date the interviews are this year?
Reply 139
Original post by Bri8

better get working..

I have checked. Module resits are accepted as long as they're done within the two years it takes you to get your A levels. If you already have your A2 results and are resitting a module/modules to improve your grade then that would not be accepted.

Original post by Medican
Do you know what date the interviews are this year?

You will be contacted regarding interviews around the middle of February. The interviews will take place mid to late March.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending