The Student Room Group

HYMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joseppea
May or may not be applying here. D: I cannot decide D:

Simple, apply. Its an awesome med school:biggrin:
Reply 21
Does anyone know that after (if) you get an offer, can you state your preffered location? Or is it all completely random?
Reply 22
Original post by liviaaa
Does anyone know that after (if) you get an offer, can you state your preffered location? Or is it all completely random?

Its comp random. A lottery system sorta thing
Unless you lvie really close to one of the campuses/have a sibling who goes there
Original post by LewDacris
Nah im not aware of specific scoring, but imagine /10 for each of the sections they specify they look for.

They want a well rounded PS, similar to most medical schools. Make sure you reflect well on work experience which is important, you dont want to just list off what you've done.

Hey was wondering if you could tell me, if you do get invited for an interview, is there a tour of the med school before the interview or anything? Thanks :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by AmbitiousMedic

Hey was wondering if you could tell me, if you do get invited for an interview, is there a tour of the med school before the interview or anything? Thanks :smile:

I had my interview in Hull and we got to see part of the medical school. The multifunction lab (MFL) was open and had posters and models around. They took us to see some accommodation and we also had a lecture at the end just talking a bit about the course and allowing you to ask questions.

I believe the same happens in York
Original post by trektor
I had my interview in Hull and we got to see part of the medical school. The multifunction lab (MFL) was open and had posters and models around. They took us to see some accommodation and we also had a lecture at the end just talking a bit about the course and allowing you to ask questions.

I believe the same happens in York

Ah okay that's great! It's just that I'm not going to get a chance to go to the open days and so was hoping to get a chance to see the place! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 26

Ah okay that's great! It's just that I'm not going to get a chance to go to the open days and so was hoping to get a chance to see the place! Thanks :biggrin:

I was in the same situation when I applied. I also remembered that we went to see the library. In Hull you will see a lot of the campus as you'll probably go from the med school to the accommodation which is at the other end of the campus so you'll have various things pointed out to you such as the union and the nightclub called Asylum.

In York the accommodation they take you to is close by but if you go to the library they will probably point out market square (it has a supermarket and some shops).

When I got my offer they sent information about opportunities to visit the campuses either as open days or scheduled visits so I went to visit York (as I had already seen Hull)
Reply 27
im thinking of applying to the A100 course. do you think i would have a chance? (international student btw!) Thanks in advance :smile:

GCSE: 1A* 7A 1C
AS: AAAB (Math, Chemistry, Biology, Economics respectively)
Predicted AAA
UKCAT: 600

also can someone suggest another university that i could be legible for? because i am quite stuck with choices at the moment and im getting really worried :frown:
Reply 28
Original post by franynli

im thinking of applying to the A100 course. do you think i would have a chance? (international student btw!) Thanks in advance :smile:

GCSE: 1A* 7A 1C
AS: AAAB (Math, Chemistry, Biology, Economics respectively)
Predicted AAA
UKCAT: 600

also can someone suggest another university that i could be legible for? because i am quite stuck with choices at the moment and im getting really worried :frown:

I think this should be fine at HYMS. check this link out: Entry requirements

Also on UCAS and on the universities websites it will have their requirements so just take a look on there to see the ones that you can apply to.
Reply 29
has anyone applied yet?
I would think no. You have until 14-15th October (not sure which day exactly) and i would recommend taking all the time you have available to you to make a decision and ensure your application is at its strongest
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
has anyone sent their applications yet?
Hhmm.. having a last minute wobble and am suddenly thinking of switching Birmingham for HYMS.. :tongue:

I saw on thew website that they said the EPQ would demonstrate independent research skills or something.. so would not taking the EPQ be a bit of a disadvantage?? (trying to decide whether to drop it or not!!)

I have done some independent reading etc. so could I just show the skills in a different way??
Reply 33
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Hhmm.. having a last minute wobble and am suddenly thinking of switching Birmingham for HYMS.. :tongue:

I saw on thew website that they said the EPQ would demonstrate independent research skills or something.. so would not taking the EPQ be a bit of a disadvantage?? (trying to decide whether to drop it or not!!)

I have done some independent reading etc. so could I just show the skills in a different way??

isnt independent research a good thing?
isnt independent research a good thing?

Hhmm.. having a last minute wobble and am suddenly thinking of switching Birmingham for HYMS..

Sorry for the confusion :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Hhmm.. having a last minute wobble and am suddenly thinking of switching Birmingham for HYMS..

Sorry for the confusion :smile:

oh i see, i mean it would depend on if youre up for writing that much and investing that much time. i personally think it would show that you can undertake a bigger task because reading will be something you ought to do anyway :smile:
Reading the above comments about HYMS liking the EPQ, would it be necessary to state the title of your EPQ in your personal statement, or can you just mention that you're doing one and then they can possibly ask you at interview? I know this may be a bit off topic but help please :tongue:
Reply 37
Reading the above comments about HYMS liking the EPQ, would it be necessary to state the title of your EPQ in your personal statement, or can you just mention that you're doing one and then they can possibly ask you at interview? I know this may be a bit off topic but help please :tongue:

i myself mentioned it :smile:
i myself mentioned it :smile:

Uh oh :eek: I haven't mentioned it mainly because I don't have a title yet :tongue: and also because I don't have enough characters however, my tutor is going to mention its "medicine related" in her reference, hopefully that is suffice :rolleyes:
Reply 39
then they can possibly ask you at interview?

If the interviews are still like they were for mine then they don't ask you anything about your personal statement and I don't think there is a chance to talk about it. There is just the question about the material you read beforehand and then seven questions (I think) from 7 different themes.

Surely when doing your qualifications on UCAS you would just list it with the grade pending? Then they would know about it

Quick Reply

Latest