The Student Room Group

HYMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trektor
If the interviews are still like they were for mine then they don't ask you anything about your personal statement and I don't think there is a chance to talk about it. There is just the question about the material you read beforehand and then seven questions (I think) from 7 different themes.

Surely when doing your qualifications on UCAS you would just list it with the grade pending? Then they would know about it

Ah okay, I've been told to put it on UCAS, but then they will still only know that I'm doing it, but not have any idea what on! Hopefully they won't/don't mind too much :tongue:
Reply 41
Does anyone know how is anatomy teaching at HYMS relative to other unis?
Also, how does PBL or the schedule work at HYMS.
Reply 42
So there's a total of 10 points to be had from the UKCAT, but how many points can be scored from your personal statement?
Reply 43
Original post by apple17
Does anyone know how is anatomy teaching at HYMS relative to other unis?
Also, how does PBL or the schedule work at HYMS.

HYMS has anatomy tutors that will either dissect and teach at the same time or will use prosections (that you can handle later on). There are models that are used, small sessions with an anatomy tutor who will discuss things and then write them down on a board, and finally lectures

We have a dissection SSC so dissection is optional. Some medical schools have full body dissection and I think one medical school doesn't use cadavers.

I think something important would be to see how many times you enter the anatomy room. At HYMS in the first year there was about 14-15 tutored sessions, various untutored sessions when the anatomy room was opened up (5 ish?). However at some places I believe you don't get to go to these sessions as often. Basically whenever it would be appropriate to have anatomy in a week (based on the PBL) there would be anatomy.

PBL: prospectus. See page 30 of the prospectus for a timetable but the prospectus will tell you more about PBL. In first year you have a Thursday and Monday PBL session and second year it becomes Friday and Tuesday. The first session you work through the case and generate learning outcomes (you will be guided to official ones) then the second session you will have done the work and go through it as a group. Many groups do a quiz and then discuss other points

I hope this answers your questions
Original post by trektor
If the interviews are still like they were for mine then they don't ask you anything about your personal statement and I don't think there is a chance to talk about it. There is just the question about the material you read beforehand and then seven questions (I think) from 7 different themes.

Surely when doing your qualifications on UCAS you would just list it with the grade pending? Then they would know about it

Yeah you're right, it does go onto UCAS so hopefully that's good enough! :tongue: Also other than the website, would you be able to give details on the selection procedure.. i.e I know the UKCAT is scored out of 10, but what is this score added onto? Thanks for your help :biggrin:
Reply 45
Original post by AmbitiousMedic

Yeah you're right, it does go onto UCAS so hopefully that's good enough! :tongue: Also other than the website, would you be able to give details on the selection procedure.. i.e I know the UKCAT is scored out of 10, but what is this score added onto? Thanks for your help :biggrin:

I think I was told at my interview that every score is added together and then it is scored out of 110 but I may well be wrong. I can't remember the breakdown and I had a look on the website and couldn't find it.
Original post by trektor
I think I was told at my interview that every score is added together and then it is scored out of 110 but I may well be wrong. I can't remember the breakdown and I had a look on the website and couldn't find it.

Oh okay.. me too I just found the bits on UKCAT :frown: Do you know if they look for anything specific in the personal statement at all such as a long term volunteering role or anything? Thanks :smile:
Reply 47

Oh okay.. me too I just found the bits on UKCAT :frown: Do you know if they look for anything specific in the personal statement at all such as a long term volunteering role or anything? Thanks :smile:

If you go to the selection procedure of the HYMS website then click on: 'how we assess UCAS forms' there is a bullet pointed list which is what I used to determine the things that they were looking for and so tried to make sure I have evidence for these points
Reply 48
Original post by trektor
HYMS has anatomy tutors that will either dissect and teach at the same time or will use prosections (that you can handle later on). There are models that are used, small sessions with an anatomy tutor who will discuss things and then write them down on a board, and finally lectures

We have a dissection SSC so dissection is optional. Some medical schools have full body dissection and I think one medical school doesn't use cadavers.

I think something important would be to see how many times you enter the anatomy room. At HYMS in the first year there was about 14-15 tutored sessions, various untutored sessions when the anatomy room was opened up (5 ish?). However at some places I believe you don't get to go to these sessions as often. Basically whenever it would be appropriate to have anatomy in a week (based on the PBL) there would be anatomy.

PBL: prospectus. See page 30 of the prospectus for a timetable but the prospectus will tell you more about PBL. In first year you have a Thursday and Monday PBL session and second year it becomes Friday and Tuesday. The first session you work through the case and generate learning outcomes (you will be guided to official ones) then the second session you will have done the work and go through it as a group. Many groups do a quiz and then discuss other points

I hope this answers your questions

Hey
THANKS A LOT. :smile:
Reply 49
667.5 UKCAT avg good enough? I'm quite conscious that I lose a few points, especially because I don't know how the personal statement is weighted :/
Original post by MJHERBZ
So there's a total of 10 points to be had from the UKCAT, but how many points can be scored from your personal statement?

Does anyone know what their cut-off score out of 60 was last year?
Reply 51
Original post by MJHERBZ

Original post by MJHERBZ
667.5 UKCAT avg good enough? I'm quite conscious that I lose a few points, especially because I don't know how the personal statement is weighted :/

my average for 2010 entry was 650. The thing with the UKCAT scores is that I imagine that a lot of people will have 4,5,6 points and so there won't be that much separating you. Look at the criteria for scoring the UKCAT: link
Reply 52
Original post by Rocket_Science

Does anyone know what their cut-off score out of 60 was last year?

Yeah, I emailed them. They told me it was 32/60 for interview. So perhaps a highly competitive interview stage? Or a very harsh assessment of the personal statement.
Original post by MJHERBZ
Yeah, I emailed them. They told me it was 32/60 for interview. So perhaps a highly competitive interview stage? Or a very harsh assessment of the personal statement.

Really? Wow lol, I was expecting it to be in the 50s.

I got 620 on my UKCAT (4/10), so I assumed I wouldn't stand a chance applying for HYMS having lost 10% of the points already. However, that may not be the case. I guess their assessment must have been harsh indeed.
Reply 54
Do HYMS use A2 predictions or AS results?
Reply 55
Okay i really need some advice and fast

I have AAAA at a-level and 6A* 4A at GCSE with 667.5 avg UKCAT.

I've got to submit my application tonight and I am stuck on my last choice. It's either Glasgow, Brighton and Sussex or Hull/York?

Advice will be really welcomed
Reply 56
Original post by Anterior view
I'd hate to advise you, go with your instinct. Glasgow is very risky though. Someone phoned and was told to aim for at least 670. You are obviously very close but on the other hand the cut off could be 660ish. They take an average of the applicants to glasgow then decide on the cut off. Many with high ukcats will therefore apply meaning the average will be high I cant see it being any less than 660 though. Remember the course will still have a fair bit of pbl so you should consider that too Good Luck! where else have you applied?

Yeah I understand where u are coming from....tbh....i'm edging towards hull york over the lot of them.

Can someone tell me what the student life is like at hull york....like nightlife and sports etc....?

And I am looking at UCL, peninsula and maybe barts...not sure about the whole ucas tariff stuff
Original post by pan_93
Yeah I understand where u are coming from....tbh....i'm edging towards hull york over the lot of them.

Can someone tell me what the student life is like at hull york....like nightlife and sports etc....?

And I am looking at UCL, peninsula and maybe barts...not sure about the whole ucas tariff stuff

I'm a first year at Hull, im originally from London have already done a degree at Kings College London. So i can compare between nightlife/student life in the two different cities.

Hull is really good. Its a great student city and the second you get here you realise that. The nights out are really good (from what ive been to/seen so far) and there's alot of choice for every1. There are a good few places in town to go to and you can gaurentee a good night. Its alot cheaper than london for example, and the sheer size of london and variety can mean your spread too thin at times and thus student life is weaker in comparrison.

Hull campus is great and everyone so far has been friendly.

The medical school is lovely and i would recommend it to anyone considering applying.

good luck
Original post by Erotas
Do HYMS use A2 predictions or AS results?

prediction like all other med schools.

ull need to be predicted 3a's
Reply 59
Original post by LewDacris
prediction like all other med schools.

ull need to be predicted 3a's

Ahh right thanks :smile:

Quick Reply