Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The stationery and organisation thread! :D

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how do you call the thing that looks like a document file but has a ring binder inside? I got one during summer school and I've found it so useful that I need to get another one for my Chemistry revision!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancinginrainbows)
    Geeky questions:

1) What's your favourite fountain pen for under £30?

2) Has anyone used Leuchtturm 1917 notebooks before? Any good? I'm thinking specifically the newer ones with fountain pen friendly paper (and even more specifically, the diaries).
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    1) Lamy logo (I got it for around £20). Platignum No.5

2) They are AMAZING. I got a lime coloured one with squared paper - I use fountain pens and liquid ink pens. So mucu better than Moleskine, they are sturdy and have lots of pages plus the pages are numbered! Haven't used the diaries.
    I'd second the Lamy logo, it's a brilliant pen for £15, seems much more expensive than it actually is. I love the Parker Facet too, but mine broke within 2 weeks...

I'm in the market for a new journal to use as a vocabulary book, and I'm looking at Rhodia. Leuchtturm seems good, but reviews are mixed, versus the overwhelmingly positive of Rhodia. Besides, when I tried samples of the paper (sent by the amazing Bureau Direct), the Leuchtturm has very slight feathering versus none on the Rhodia.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw3)
    can't answer question 2, but for questions one, have you tried lamy? I used to use their fountain pens before. I found they really adapted to my style of writing and only costed between 10-15 pounds for the model i used.
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    1) Lamy logo (I got it for around £20). Platignum No.5

2) They are AMAZING. I got a lime coloured one with squared paper - I use fountain pens and liquid ink pens. So mucu better than Moleskine, they are sturdy and have lots of pages plus the pages are numbered! Haven't used the diaries.
    (Original post by shmuxel)
    I'd second the Lamy logo, it's a brilliant pen for £15, seems much more expensive than it actually is. I love the Parker Facet too, but mine broke within 2 weeks...

I'm in the market for a new journal to use as a vocabulary book, and I'm looking at Rhodia. Leuchtturm seems good, but reviews are mixed, versus the overwhelmingly positive of Rhodia. Besides, when I tried samples of the paper (sent by the amazing Bureau Direct), the Leuchtturm has very slight feathering versus none on the Rhodia.
    Thanks for the responses I'll definitely try out the Lamy Logo.

I've also read mixed reviews about Leuchtturm paper (yours are cases in point). But if there are any problems I'll just get better ink to compensate. I've fallen in love with this completely over-the-top but very functional academic diary (Master size)... http://www.leuchtturm1917.com/en/con...c-week-planner

Rhodia do sound best for what you want, shmuxel, their paper is the best I've tried (if only it wasn't so white).
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm in the market for a new journal to use as a vocabulary book, and I'm looking at Rhodia.
    Why not just get an A5 exercise book?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    Why not just get an A5 exercise book?
    Dunno really, I liked the look of a more formal pocket notebook
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dunno really, I liked the look of a more formal pocket notebook
    Ahh. I'm used to an A5 exercise book, lined. Partially because that's what we were always given from GCSE onwards, and that i highlight most of my vocab.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just bought myself a Moleskine 18 month diary, with the lined sheet for every week
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reffariiii)
    Just bought myself a Moleskine 18 month diary, with the lined sheet for every week
    I do like the look of the diary that rainbows likes. I've seen a diary in whs that i like, well on their website. My local store doesnt stock it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reffariiii)
    I do like the look of the diary that rainbows likes. I've seen a diary in whs that i like, well on their website. My local store doesnt stock it
    Ah, I'm planning on buying the 18 month diary, with a lined page each week, to use in Sixth form! What do you think of it? Does Fountain pen ink seep through?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh. I'm used to an A5 exercise book, lined. Partially because that's what we were always given from GCSE onwards, and that i highlight most of my vocab.
    I've never made a vocab book before, so I wouldn't know!

I have seen this Clairefontaine vocab book though, might be useful?

http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/claire...ocab-book/p624

Or just a plain A5 execrise book

http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/claire...cise-book/p351
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I'm planning on buying the 18 month diary, with a lined page each week, to use in Sixth form! What do you think of it? Does Fountain pen ink seep through?
    I've used one of these before. Parker fountain pen ink was clearly visible through the page, though it was still very useable. That's the main reason I'm looking at Leuchtturm (they do basically the same product, with a page for a week and a page for notes).
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never made a vocab book before, so I wouldn't know!

I have seen this Clairefontaine vocab book though, might be useful?

http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/claire...ocab-book/p624

Or just a plain A5 execrise book

http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/claire...cise-book/p351
    I use just a plain A5 exercise book. If I know we'll study 4 set topics, I'll spilt the 80 pages into 5 sections. then as i use each page, fold it in half.
    the german is on the left, english on the right. As opposed to splitting it A-Z. Did do that for GCSE Latin. By the end of the year I was very good at anything A-M. Beyond that... not so great.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use just a plain A5 exercise book. If I know we'll study 4 set topics, I'll spilt the 80 pages into 5 sections. then as i use each page, fold it in half.
    the german is on the left, english on the right. As opposed to splitting it A-Z. Did do that for GCSE Latin. By the end of the year I was very good at anything A-M. Beyond that... not so great.
    I use an A6 Pukka for my vocab book. Line down the middle, French on the left, English on the right. Words that are masculine in blue, feminine in red, and verbs highlighted in yellow. Probably going to change to an A5 Pukka for university though!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends. My parker vector seeps through. My finer fountain pens (Lamy EF tip, Lamy M tip, normal WHSmith, Berol cartridge pen) don't seep through or even show through that much.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

I can't believe I never knew about that site, thank you! And how did you manage to get samples sent to you?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    why had I never heard of this thread before. love it
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about what to do about my planner for the next academic year, and I have a lovely (lined but otherwise blank) notebook I'd like to use. It has 240 pages, so not enough for day-per-page, but too many for a week per two pages ... I could do two days per page, but the asymmetricality (in terms of weeks) would probably bother me

I'd like to leave some room for front/end matter. Anyone done a similar thing before, or have any ideas about how I should lay this out?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    I've been thinking about what to do about my planner for the next academic year, and I have a lovely (lined but otherwise blank) notebook I'd like to use. It has 240 pages, so not enough for day-per-page, but too many for a week per two pages ... I could do two days per page, but the asymmetricality (in terms of weeks) would probably bother me

I'd like to leave some room for front/end matter. Anyone done a similar thing before, or have any ideas about how I should lay this out?
    Why not do two days per page and then when you get to the end of the week have a page split between Sunday and notes?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avéry)
    Why not do two days per page and then when you get to the end of the week have a page split between Sunday and notes?
    I rather stupidly didn't think of this. Not sure I'd have enough notes to make every week to make it worth it, but then neither do I have things going on every day Thanks!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    I rather stupidly didn't think of this. Not sure I'd have enough notes to make every week to make it worth it, but then neither do I have things going on every day Thanks!
    You're welcome. If not notes then maybe you could put upcoming deadlines in that section instead...
Updated: August 30, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.