The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

At last!!! Some like minded stationaryaholics!! I've had a major problem this year, that I've never encountered in my 4 years of uni, I can't find a fun looking, thick, blue pen! I can only write in blue ink on blue lined paper with a red margin, and thankfully have managed to find a supplier for this need, but I neeeed a decent biro, which isn't as thin as a Bic, Smiths did one last year that was purple with white polka dots, but I can't find one this year now and only 9 weeks left to look for it!

Please help me!

x
Original post by dancinginrainbows
Consider exactly what you want from your diary carefully before getting a filofax- you're obviously restricted by what inserts they produce. For example I think I'm going to need a day per page diary for uni, but because they don't do academic versions, I'd have to spend £13.50 for just 3 months... I'm finding the price of the inserts and the lack of range slightly defeats the idea of having everything in one place.

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't realise the inserts were so expensive, I think I might go for the diary and then if I don't like it I could try a filofax for my second year.
Reply 662
I found spiralbound A5 mid-year diaries very similar to the ones in WHSmith in The Works for £2-£3. I have looked at both and couldn't really see the difference.
Original post by .snowflake.
I've a £15 WHS voucher. I always get one from my aunty. Never have anything to buy with them usually.

Mine is £25 and it's an achievement voucher from my school, so I'm limited to books and stationery. I'll probably buy a new pen pot and diary, then more pens or something. I also have a national book token from Christmas so I'll put that towards my books I think.
Original post by journalismus
Mine is £25 and it's an achievement voucher from my school, so I'm limited to books and stationery. I'll probably buy a new pen pot and diary, then more pens or something. I also have a national book token from Christmas so I'll put that towards my books I think.

£25! WOW! We only ever got £10 vouchers. They do not go far on books in WHS.
£25! WOW! We only ever got £10 vouchers. They do not go far on books in WHS.

Yeah I got some subject prizes - last year for effort I got a certificate, so this was much better! True, I mostly buy books off of Amazon - so much cheaper, especially ebooks on Kindle.
Yeah I got some subject prizes - last year for effort I got a certificate, so this was much better! True, I mostly buy books off of Amazon - so much cheaper, especially ebooks on Kindle.

oooh. very nice. I assume I won't find out what awards i have - if any - until results day. And then attending the awards evening will be a faff. If I get into my firm, I'm 3 days into freshers when it takes place.
I'm debating whether to buy a filofax for starting uni or a student academic planner, like this:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=35606956

A filofax can be used again and again but the planner has lots of useful notes and sections; I had a quick look last time I was in WHS.

Thoughts? :smile:

I have a filofax and I LOVE it. So easy to customise exactly how you like it (mine is super organised with dividers and sticky tabs and coloured notepaper) and so pretty too. And you can re-use it year after year by just replacing some inserts. Totally reccomend... although filofax customisation blogs are worryingly addictive!
Original post by riotgrrl
I have a filofax and I LOVE it. So easy to customise exactly how you like it (mine is super organised with dividers and sticky tabs and coloured notepaper) and so pretty too. And you can re-use it year after year by just replacing some inserts. Totally reccomend... although filofax customisation blogs are worryingly addictive!

Just looked up some of the blogs...I'm swaying towards buying one, I mean, it's an investment really...
Just looked up some of the blogs...I'm swaying towards buying one, I mean, it's an investment really...

Who're you trying to convince? Us or yourself? :lol:
I'll be honest, I'd love one and you're all making me a little jealous but they're just more than I'm willing to pay for because I am tight with money :biggrin:
Reply 670
Can't wait for uni next year cos I can take picture of my dorm for the dorm thread and I can buy some new stationary!
Hell it even says on my facebook about me page this one line only 'I'm really fussy about what kind of paper I write on'
Original post by Luxray
Can't wait for uni next year cos I can take picture of my dorm for the dorm thread and I can buy some new stationary!
Hell it even says on my facebook about me page this one line only 'I'm really fussy about what kind of paper I write on'

THIS. X1000. And telling the world what its like to be a fresher.
Reply 672
Anybody here a fan of Moleskine notebooks and diaries?
God I love the paper and the feel of the cover.
Reply 673
THIS. X1000. And telling the world what its like to be a fresher.

Ah being a fresher was so good, but let me give you one big fat tip, don't buy all the textbooks. I learned this only in my second year after not using my first year books very much.

Just get a good 4gb pen drive or something bigger and scan every page from the textbook, in your library. Only buy textbooks for your biggest and most important modules. Then you can save money for fancy stationary ooooh yeah!
Original post by sliceofcake
Who're you trying to convince? Us or yourself? :lol:
I'll be honest, I'd love one and you're all making me a little jealous but they're just more than I'm willing to pay for because I am tight with money :biggrin:

I think I'm trying to convince myself that it's okay to spend that amount of money on a diary haha!
I just looked some up on ebay, some going for about a fiver = definitely going to watch those!
Original post by Luxray

Yes. :colondollar:

I only bought one to feel extra sophisticated and intellectual when I wrote in it.

It worked, and I now have a second.
So happy to have found this thread! I love stationary :love:!

I found this site and simply want every notebook/diary they sell!

Also, I can't wait to get one of these when I start uni this fall.

For postgraduate students, what are your favorite organization tools or supplies, and what do you do to keep organized? :work:
MAY have just spent £24.85 online at paperchase.... sooooo pretty!
Reply 678
Original post by Luxray

It's nice paper, but there are even better! Try Rhodia :drool:
Whoa, I thought I was the only stationery freak. Glad to see I'm not alone!
I really can't take up space in my suitcases (moving to the UK back from Spain) with stationery, but my sister is a freak like me and will help me find my way around the UK lol. I'll probably end up getting several different types of planner, and also one of those giant calendars you hang on the wall. Just because. You know.
My sister has a filofax. She never lets me touch it. Perhaps she's worried I'll steal it? Haha.

Latest