The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by diamonddust
I've seen loose sheets of lined paper in Rymans. :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trade-In/b?ie=UTF8&node=440443031

You find your textbooks or video games (!) by searching and then press trade in and you'll see what price they'll give you for it. Sometimes it isn't worth it because they undercharge you for a book that costs more but on the whole, it's fairly good. Once you've figured out what you're going to trade in, you print out a label and package the books, go to a post office and get them to verify that you've sent them out and then you post them for free. They'll email you and tell you that it's been recieved and add a gift card with the money to your amazon account! :biggrin:
Not too shabby! I'm a bit surprised because they said they wanted things that hadn't been written on and there was a number in pen on the inside cover of one of my books but it was in otherwise perfect condition and they accepted it!

If you can be bothered to wait to find a buyer you can always list it on marketplace yourself. Then you're responsible for posting it to the buyer but generally you'd make a lot more money that way.

For example, Amazon are offering £8.85 for this textbook whilst the lowest marketplace one is £18.80 (including 2.80 postage). You could easily undercut that and sell for £17.80 including postage, end up paying about £3/4 in seller fees and £2 in postage and get £11.80 for it.

The only con with selling on marketplace as opposed to Amazon trade-in is you need to wait till someone else is interested in buying.
Original post by diamonddust
I've seen loose sheets of lined paper in Rymans. :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trade-In/b?ie=UTF8&node=440443031

You find your textbooks or video games (!) by searching and then press trade in and you'll see what price they'll give you for it. Sometimes it isn't worth it because they undercharge you for a book that costs more but on the whole, it's fairly good. Once you've figured out what you're going to trade in, you print out a label and package the books, go to a post office and get them to verify that you've sent them out and then you post them for free. They'll email you and tell you that it's been recieved and add a gift card with the money to your amazon account! :biggrin:
Not too shabby! I'm a bit surprised because they said they wanted things that hadn't been written on and there was a number in pen on the inside cover of one of my books but it was in otherwise perfect condition and they accepted it!

wow that sounds brilliant, I didn't realise they did that at all! Thank you :smile:
Original post by velocet
If you can be bothered to wait to find a buyer you can always list it on marketplace yourself. Then you're responsible for posting it to the buyer but generally you'd make a lot more money that way.

For example, Amazon are offering £8.85 for this textbook whilst the lowest marketplace one is £18.80 (including 2.80 postage). You could easily undercut that and sell for £17.80 including postage, end up paying about £3/4 in seller fees and £2 in postage and get £11.80 for it.

The only con with selling on marketplace as opposed to Amazon trade-in is you need to wait till someone else is interested in buying.

thanks for this also, very good point! :smile:
I need to actually sort all of this out :tongue:

In terms of paper, I'm fine but need some pencils, pens and a few ring binders (about 4)
Reply 64
I love stationary too my excuse being that I'm a primary school teacher :smile:

Currently have a silly amount of highlighters as well as the Staedtler Triplus Fineliner (got these 3 for 2 in Tescos :smile:)

I also use http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Premier-Expanding-Pockets-Foolscap/dp/B000I2BXWY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315471330&sr=8-3 ( a cheaper one from wilkos) to sort all my notes into modules and store them and have a smaller one to carry around notes to lectures etc and it also stores my notepad :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
Argh, this thread has just made me realise I need to start from scratch with my university stationery.

I've been desperately looking for a planner- that Palgrave one looks awesome, I'm so tempted! I've got a problem though because my birthday is on the 22nd of September and everyone has said they'll buy my stuff for university, so knowing my luck, I'll end up with 27 lever arch files and 3 diaries.

Does anyone have any ink roller balls they would recommend? Writing in biro does my head in, especially after doing it for my entire A-Levels...
Shopping for stationary is my favourite past time lol.

will be following this thread :smile:
Original post by skunky x
Argh, this thread has just made me realise I need to start from scratch with my university stationery.

I've been desperately looking for a planner- that Palgrave one looks awesome, I'm so tempted! I've got a problem though because my birthday is on the 22nd of September and everyone has said they'll buy my stuff for university, so knowing my luck, I'll end up with 27 lever arch files and 3 diaries.

Does anyone have any ink roller balls they would recommend? Writing in biro does my head in, especially after doing it for my entire A-Levels...

You can never have too many!!! :colondollar:
Reply 68
Original post by skunky x

From what I've read, these look pretty good. I ordered myself a pack yesterday so have not yet been able to try them out. Fast drying so should fit the bill for me.
Reply 69
Original post by velocet
From what I've read, these look pretty good. I ordered myself a pack yesterday so have not yet been able to try them out. Fast drying so should fit the bill for me.

Thank you! Think I will have to do a stationery shop next week. Buying off the internet doesn't feel right to me. I'm such an old person XD
Reply 70
I'm currently stalking this diary http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160645141794?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_8963wt_1002 on eBay. It looks pretty nice and it has so many sections to it. I may actually be able to keep myself organised for a year.
Reply 71
I'm reeeeally picky when it comes to stationery - it drives my parents absolutely mad. I've bought a Moleskin diary, some new flashcards and post-it notes but nothing more for University as of yet. :smile:

I buy most of my stationary at Rymans and Smiths. Rymans do really nice 80gsm pads of paper and I really like their black biros. I'm hoping to pick up a couple of folders at Smiths and maybe a new clear, plastic pencil case. Muji also do really lovely stationery although it can be expensive.
Reply 72
Ah thank you. I completely forgot to get a student planner!!
Reply 73
All this talk of stationary is making me really excited :smile:
Reply 74
Regarding pens:
The Uniball Eye was my favourite before I tried Sharpies. I don't think I'll go back now. What's everyone's favourite pen?
p.s. lol @ people using cheap biros.
Original post by ununpentium
I have a moleskine academic diary. I have to get one every year! And ring binders for each module. I've got a study skills book and they've written out a template for a lecture cover sheet to put in front of your notes so I've made my own version.

What study skills book is that?

Original post by Antifazian
Couldn't resist it any longer, i've ordered one of those Palgrave student planners too :biggrin: They sound really good going by the reviews on Amazon.

That'll be the 3rd diary i've bought so far for uni, that's a bit weird really isn't it :redface: I always buy one and then find a better one, then a better one than that...

Ha, you sound like me, I have two academic diaries (this one and this one) and a Cath Kidston diary and I want one from paperchase too. What I'm gonna do with 4 diaries I do not know...
Need to now get a planner better get organised :awesome:
Original post by cpdavis
Need to now get a planner better get organised :awesome:

Take one of mine, I have too many :tongue:
Reply 78
Just bought me and my sister one of those Palgrave student planners. Her school decided to stop giving out planners for some reason...
Bought some lovely Oxford paper which was on discount in Staples, it is the best paper around :drool:

also finding it hard to look for a planner/diary thing, looked on moleskine,artbox,paperchase and other local places and have found nothing!

also stocked up on my favourite rollerball pens from my old college shop as they're discounted :sexface: how people can write with biros (especially blue :shudder: is beyond me!)

Latest