The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by sc0307
I hope I don't sound like a retard but I've bought a couple Pukka project pads today. Would I need to buy lever arch files too? Its already got dividers in them so why would I need lever arch files :s-smilie:

Once you fill the pad you could transfer the paper to lever arch files. Or just get a new pad? Up to you. :smile: I wouldn't worry about it just yet though.
Reply 141
Original post by Antifazian
oh they're beautiful, I love the horse ones!

hmm don't think i'd have any use for one though. :frown:

I have the same problem, I want to buy the Darwin Tree of Life Paperblank (probably the only one thats acceptable as a guy) but I have no use for it :frown:
First and foremost...LOVE this thread :colondollar: :smile:

Out of all of my uni shopping, I'm mostly exited about ze stationery shopping part...got it all planned out, dont want to overspend (since I'm a bit tight on cash) but at the same time don't want to buy too little...want to maintain a balance.

Anyhoo, all that I've bought is a Parker fountain pen (exciiiiiited!!!) since my old one is exhausted and died on me :mad: and a planner...just a simple one from paperchase, none of that jazzy stuff....need to get lots more this weekend and beginning of next week.

Wish me Luck!!
Peace out
Am I the only person who's not a fan of Pukka pads?
Reply 144
Original post by TheHyacinthGirl

Every left hander hates them. Also can't secure in sheet handouts you may be given. I'm more comfortable just writing on a refill pad and putting it in a ringbinder/lever arch file.
Reply 145
My Palgrave Planner came this morning :biggrin:

A little bigger than I expected but I'm still drooling all over it :P
Reply 146
Original post by velocet

Original post by velocet
Every left hander hates them. Also can't secure in sheet handouts you may be given. I'm more comfortable just writing on a refill pad and putting it in a ringbinder/lever arch file.

I'm a left hander and don't find Pukka pads that difficult to use. I'm still gonna use them then put the sheets in a lever arch file.
Original post by 04ghicks
My Palgrave Planner came this morning :biggrin:

A little bigger than I expected but I'm still drooling all over it :P

Is it any good? I need a planner/diary but not sure which one to get.. I saw one in WHSmith but that was a Mickey mouse one lol I did like it though :tongue:
Reply 148
Original post by iHeartCookies
Is it any good? I need a planner/diary but not sure which one to get.. I saw one in WHSmith but that was a Mickey mouse one lol I did like it though :tongue:

It has some good stuff in it, and i'd say it was a good buy, though it does have some problems:

- Very bulky, too many pages packed in!
- Pages crease very easily, which isn't helped by the bulkiness
- Not massive amounts of room in the diary sections eg 'time' 'place', but then again I've just filled in my freshers week timetable so its really packed, will probably be less hectic on a normal week where you can consult your timetable for the majority of academic things rather than filling them in your diary!
Original post by neosouljazzy
First and foremost...LOVE this thread :colondollar: :smile:

Out of all of my uni shopping, I'm mostly exited about ze stationery shopping part...got it all planned out, dont want to overspend (since I'm a bit tight on cash) but at the same time don't want to buy too little...want to maintain a balance.

Anyhoo, all that I've bought is a Parker fountain pen (exciiiiiited!!!) since my old one is exhausted and died on me :mad: and a planner...just a simple one from paperchase, none of that jazzy stuff....need to get lots more this weekend and beginning of next week.

Wish me Luck!!
Peace out

That's because stationery shopping is the best bit! :awesome: I'm going clothes shopping in a minute and I'm a bit 'meh.'
Is that Erykah Badu in your sig? :love: I love her hair!

Original post by TheHyacinthGirl

I don't like them very much. :dontknow:
Original post by 04ghicks
It has some good stuff in it, and i'd say it was a good buy, though it does have some problems:

- Very bulky, too many pages packed in!
- Pages crease very easily, which isn't helped by the bulkiness
- Not massive amounts of room in the diary sections eg 'time' 'place', but then again I've just filled in my freshers week timetable so its really packed, will probably be less hectic on a normal week where you can consult your timetable for the majority of academic things rather than filling them in your diary!

I second this! I quite like it though! Especially the bit about laundry signs haha :tongue:
Reply 151
Original post by diamonddust
I think there's going to be a whole bunch of us at Tesco! :biggrin:

Random but... I still haven't got a rucksack yet. I'm trying to justify spending my last bit of money on one. I don't understand why my parents are so disinterested in getting me things! I'm in love with this one (yes... I know I'm not a bloke but.... I love it!) but it costs soooo much! I'm also not sure it's big enough. I need one that will hold more than one folder and a laptop! But then it might limit how much I carry. I've pretty much murdered my back over the last few years. There's also this which I don't like as much but it's cheaper and it looks like it's strong.... but then if I want one like that, I can find an even cheaper one! Decisions, decisions! I don't like those really bulky rucksacks if I'm entirely honest! But I refuse to give myself a hunchback and a messed up shoulder by using anything else. :tongue:

Only just saw this. I had a similar problem deciding on a rucksack/bag. I generally prefer bags I can put over my shoulder but for uni it could put a bit of a strain if I'm carry tonnes of books, my laptop and some paper so I decided to go for an Eastpak rucksack. They're the perfect size for me, I was just hesistant because it's hard to justify spending £30 on a plain black bag but in the end I couldn't find anyhting else I liked.
Reply 152
Original post by iHeartCookies

I used the Palgrave one last year and didn't think it was as good as made out. Not worth the money if you ask me.
Original post by velocet
Only just saw this. I had a similar problem deciding on a rucksack/bag. I generally prefer bags I can put over my shoulder but for uni it could put a bit of a strain if I'm carry tonnes of books, my laptop and some paper so I decided to go for an Eastpak rucksack. They're the perfect size for me, I was just hesistant because it's hard to justify spending £30 on a plain black bag but in the end I couldn't find anyhting else I liked.

I got my rucksack today from Amazon and I'm going to have to return it. The colour is nothing like how it looked in the pictures (ordered a pink and grey plaid type design and got a muddy brown and marroon colour instead!) It hurts my eyes and offends my senses! :tongue: I'm either going to reorder it in black or get one of the ones I wanted in the first place for £10 more. How big is your Eastpack, so you know? I really like Dakine and Carabee.
Reply 154
I got my rucksack today from Amazon and I'm going to have to return it. The colour is nothing like how it looked in the pictures (ordered a pink and grey plaid type design and got a muddy brown and marroon colour instead!) It hurts my eyes and offends my senses! :tongue: I'm either going to reorder it in black or get one of the ones I wanted in the first place for £10 more. How big is your Eastpack, so you know? I really like Dakine and Carabee.

It's this one. Label on it says 24 litres.
Original post by sc0307
I hope I don't sound like a retard but I've bought a couple Pukka project pads today. Would I need to buy lever arch files too? Its already got dividers in them so why would I need lever arch files :s-smilie: Also to everyone who's buying notebooks like Moleskine's, what are you going to file in the lever arch files? Are you going to transfer the notes from your notebook to the file?

Sorry for so many questions lol.

Organize yourself how you like! :biggrin: I use refill pads to take notes and then transfer them to ringbinders (I like the way I can then put handouts in between, organise them, move them around etc.) and once I'm finished with my notes are archived in a Lever Arch... I'm cool like that :tongue: Depends what you write in and how you want to do it. Don't need Lever Arch files if you don't want them and Pukka Pad suits you.

Also, for me, notebooks such as Moleskine's and Paperblanks aren't for taking notes in - I use them as a journal, a scrapbook of photos, or keep them in a draw because they're too nice I don't want to start something in them and decide I want it for something else!
However, from what I gather, people who take notes in notebooks are generally tidier and more organized than me (I mess up things so always like to be able to copy them out on a clean sheet, thus ringbinders), so have no need for Lever Arch files as they are already bound in a notebook.

I've thought way too much about the uses of Lever Arch files I think...
Hi, I love this thread, I was just wondering if anyone types out their lecture notes after or is that just a waste of time.
i've bought two lovely yellow notebooks with smiley faces from The Works (2 for £1!! :ahee:)
..also one pukka pad type thing with dividers
and keeping all the stuff left over from school... refill pad, vandalised folders, fountain pen and an 8 year old pair of scissors (i like antiques :wink: ) ...as well as other pencil case contents

i've also got some paper clips, sorted them into colours and made chains from them :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
I can't be the only saddo person in the world who loves stationery and feels proud at devising a complex organisation system no-one else understands (am I?) so I thought I'd start a thread about it! :biggrin:

To freshers:
How are you planning on organising yourself at uni?
What stationery are you buying for university?

To people who are already at university:
How do you organise yourself?
Are there any specific items of stationery you can't do without?

Oh and for Paperchase fans, I may have found a place even better! http://www.artbox.co.uk/stationery-sticky-notes-c-35_106.html

I've got this to organise my deadlines. It seems to have a section for everything including things like finance but my main problem with it is that the space they give you to write in is too small- and that's with my tiny writing!

Ooh and if anyone can find me a notebook like this (hard back and narrow ruled) that isn't ridiculously expensive*, I'll... um... I don't know what I'll do but I'll be very grateful!

*Before anyone comes along and says that there's 5 in the pack, I know that, it's just that it's about £9 for one!

I think that's everything! I'll shut up now! :tongue: :redface:

I <3 Stationary, Staples is like heaven to me! Thus far I have two lever arch folders, one to keep in my uni room and one to carry (Containing all notes that I may need during my travels, seperated by divders. It'll also contain a good notepad (still looking) and some plastic wallets if needed.) I'll also be carrying a mini hole punch for handouts and hole protectors. I'll my handy black, blue and red bic pens and some highlighters. When I get some I'll be taking my stablo pens too :biggrin: I have a student planner to help organise me when I'm in my room, and a mini diary to use when I'm out and about. I also have a bunch of smaller binders to use for past modules. I've gotten to labels to stick on my food pots and stuff in halls and a little cash book (£1 wilkos) to help me budget. I want to get a dictaphone as well.

Original post by ununpentium
I have a moleskine academic diary. I have to get one every year! And ring binders for each module. I've got a study skills book and they've written out a template for a lecture cover sheet to put in front of your notes so I've made my own version.

Don't suppose you'd be willing to send that out, or give a description of what its like? :colondollar: I've not heard of these before and I'd be interested in finding out more :tongue: Also what study skills book? I like looking at various methods :smile:
Original post by buttermints
Hi, I love this thread, I was just wondering if anyone types out their lecture notes after or is that just a waste of time.

Always my handwriting is dire.