The Student Room Group

St Georges Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Limesasquatch
I will probably phone them, but it doesn't matter if I have got 1, 2 or 3 A*'s if I don't have the B in a 4th AS which is annoying. :frown:

Definitely phone them up and subsequently, every other uni before deciding to definitely apply to them. You don't want to waste a choice however you might be surprised by the response. All we can do is speculate here, but a phone call can give you a definite answer :smile:

Original post by AspiringGenius
Same. I was doing electronics and got an A for the short course in year 10, good, but I would have got A* had I did the full course like we were supposed to. However, everyone else in my class got E/F/G etc so our head teacher switched us to a BTEC, while brainwashing the others that it was actually worth 2 GCSEs. I didn't stand for such bull**** and had a go at the head teacher (the rest of the class cheered although I'm not sure they understood why I was so angry,).

I don't mean to be harsh but... BTECs are largely frowned upon in the medical application community. I don't blame you for getting angry, you were right to. They seem to count for "multiple GCSE" but in reality they don't. If you do a sport BTEC worth 4 GCSE's - it just isn't. Simple. If its a choice between someone who got 4 As in English, Maths, Science and Tech and someone who got a distinction/A (or however they are ranked) in BTEC that is supposed to be worth 4 GCSEs, then sorry - the choice is simple, real GCSEs win everytime. Its the same everywhere and there is little exception for it to be honest - in medicine anyway. As long as you have at least 8/9 As and a couple A*s mixed in there, you should be fine though, in my opinion.

I now have on paper that "BTECs are equivalent to multiple GCSE grades" from my head teacher. I'm going to send an email from any given medical school that they don't get included.

You're going to have to send an email to every single med school you apply to :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Ok The ukcat is over(hurray) and my score is 672.5.I got 730 in AR and 760 in DA but only 550 in VR. I am going for :

Peninsula
St George's

but cant decide on others.
I have A levels in Bio (A) Chem(A) Maths(A) and AS English(B)
7 A*s and 4A's GCSE
Any help appreciated......
Please QUOTE me!
645 average UKCAT
10.5 A* GCSE
AAAAA - AS
A*AAA predicted A levels

Would it be stupid to apply to SGUL?
Reply 23
Original post by Jasmine_777

645 average UKCAT
10.5 A* GCSE
AAAAA - AS
A*AAA predicted A levels

Would it be stupid to apply to SGUL?

Nope, it would be very wise. :yes: SGUL don't use the UKCAT as a decision factor (As well as a couple other unis) therefore your low UKCAT score wouldn't hinder you. Your very high GCSEs and very good AS grades and A2 Predictions would almost definitely get you an interview as SGUL only use GCSEs and AS grades to decide who gets an interview. So yea, I'd put SGUL down as a favorable option if I was you.

For your other options I would be careful as many med schools have UKCAT cut offs and your UKCAT (not to be harsh) is relatively low as that was the average score a few years ago and it rises every year. So before you apply to the others, make sure to check their last years UKCAT cut off score because if you don't meet it, then you won't get an interview. Just a friendly tip. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Facticity
Nope, it would be very wise. :yes: SGUL don't use the UKCAT as a decision factor (As well as a couple other unis) therefore your low UKCAT score wouldn't hinder you. Your very high GCSEs and very good AS grades and A2 Predictions would almost definitely get you an interview as SGUL only use GCSEs and AS grades to decide who gets an interview. So yea, I'd put SGUL down as a favorable option if I was you.

For your other options I would be careful as many med schools have UKCAT cut offs and your UKCAT (not to be harsh) is relatively low as that was the average score a few years ago and it rises every year. So before you apply to the others, make sure to check their last years UKCAT cut off score because if you don't meet it, then you won't get an interview. Just a friendly tip. :smile:

But SGUL have a cut off for UKCAT this year and I'm sure mine would be below the cut off.. :/
Reply 25
Original post by oldbatty

Ok The ukcat is over(hurray) and my score is 672.5.I got 730 in AR and 760 in DA but only 550 in VR. I am going for :

Peninsula
St George's

but cant decide on others.
I have A levels in Bio (A) Chem(A) Maths(A) and AS English(B)
7 A*s and 4A's GCSE
Any help appreciated......
Please QUOTE me!

Good GCSEs and your A levels meet their average offer so I would go for it as SGUL only use people's grades to decide who gets interview - and then interviews decide who gets offers.

Your UKCAT I think is near last years average so I would be careful about applying to other unis because if you don't meet their UKCAT cut off, you won't get an interview - look into their last years cut off and then try to guess about how much it would have increased based on the last couple years. It will be different for each uni. I'm not sure on Peninsula as I never applied there but good luck. :smile:

EDIT: Check the cut off from last year as I think the UKCAT score will have increased and SGUL will use this years average for their cut off. This is just speculation though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
But SGUL have a cut off for UKCAT this year and I'm sure mine would be below the cut off.. :/

Upon checking, you're right! :eek: Hmmm, then I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest. If this is their first year doing it, then its likely that they will use the average score for this year which, unfortunately, I would have to say is probably above 645.

I'm not sure then if you should apply or not =/ In that case, I think it would be best to see which unis don't use the UKCAT and go with those. Its a hard case as obviously you don't want to compromise your choice but I'm not sure if its avoidable.
I meet all of the academic requirements however I'm unsure over whether to apply or not. I'm going to call them but I always thought St Georges use the UKCAT for borderline applicants?
Reply 28
Original post by MoTheMedic

I meet all of the academic requirements however I'm unsure over whether to apply or not. I'm going to call them but I always thought St Georges use the UKCAT for borderline applicants?

They used to however this year they have decided to use the UKCAT as an active part of their application. I guess the fees contributed to this or simply they were looking to reduce the amount of applicants and tighten their application process. If you meet all their academic, then you should be fine depending on what your UKCAT is.
They used to however this year they have decided to use the UKCAT as an active part of their application. I guess the fees contributed to this or simply they were looking to reduce the amount of applicants and tighten their application process. If you meet all their academic, then you should be fine depending on what your UKCAT is.

I called them today and the response was: 'The cut-off point will be set in November, but if all your scores in the sub tests of the UKCAT exceed 500 you will be considered.'
Reply 30

I called them today and the response was: 'The cut-off point will be set in November, but if all your scores in the sub tests of the UKCAT exceed 500 you will be considered.'

That doesn't really make sense. If there is a cut-off, then surely anything bellow that will not be considered. I think what they mean is that you have to have 500 minimum to even apply. TBH I've never heard of anyone with a score bellow 500, i'm pretty sure that is a fail seeing as the minimum is 500. I can't see what else they'd mean, legally they have to consider everyone with over 500 but if they have a cut off then it will be in the mid-high 600s most likely.
Would it just be plain stupid to apply to SGUL with a UKCAT of 572.5. I thought they did not use UKCAT so it was lucky I checked and just my luck they've changed it this year.
Reply 32
Original post by ChemistryProNOT

Would it just be plain stupid to apply to SGUL with a UKCAT of 572.5. I thought they did not use UKCAT so it was lucky I checked and just my luck they've changed it this year.

I'm sorry to say that with a UKCAT of bellow 650, you won't stand much of a chance at most of the unis which actively use the UKCAT in their decision process - unless you had some remarkable extra curricular, experience, and GCSE and A level/AS Grades + Predictions, I would be very wary of applying to the aforementioned unis. I really don't want to sound like I'm being harsh but your UKCAT is going to weigh your application down quite a bit as there are only a handful of unis that don't use the UKCAT anymore (with rising grades and UKCAT performance and applicants, unis need to more strictly filter applicants otherwise its a mess trying to sort it out). I would go look at all the UKCAT cut offs for last year (keeping in mind they have probably gone up a bit). Find the unis that don't consider the UKCAT in their selection process and see if you like them or not - don't apply somewhere you do not want to go though. Call the unis up for whom you can't find/ look online and make sure about how much they use the UKCAT - some will use it for borderline cases, some will use it as a point scoring and ranking process, some will use it hugely to essentially decide who gets interviews and some simply use it to slash numbers of applicants. Look carefully!

But yes, unfortunately they did SGUL did change their criteria and I'm pretty sure other unis have gotten stricter as last year there was a huge influx of applicants with places like bristol having like 1:11 people fighting for a place. So research well, and good luck :redface: If you have any further questions or queries for SGUL or general application, feel free to quote or PM me :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm sorry to say that with a UKCAT of bellow 650, you won't stand much of a chance at most of the unis which actively use the UKCAT in their decision process - unless you had some remarkable extra curricular, experience, and GCSE and A level/AS Grades + Predictions, I would be very wary of applying to the aforementioned unis. I really don't want to sound like I'm being harsh but your UKCAT is going to weigh your application down quite a bit as there are only a handful of unis that don't use the UKCAT anymore (with rising grades and UKCAT performance and applicants, unis need to more strictly filter applicants otherwise its a mess trying to sort it out). I would go look at all the UKCAT cut offs for last year (keeping in mind they have probably gone up a bit). Find the unis that don't consider the UKCAT in their selection process and see if you like them or not - don't apply somewhere you do not want to go though. Call the unis up for whom you can't find/ look online and make sure about how much they use the UKCAT - some will use it for borderline cases, some will use it as a point scoring and ranking process, some will use it hugely to essentially decide who gets interviews and some simply use it to slash numbers of applicants. Look carefully!

But yes, unfortunately they did SGUL did change their criteria and I'm pretty sure other unis have gotten stricter as last year there was a huge influx of applicants with places like bristol having like 1:11 people fighting for a place. So research well, and good luck :redface: If you have any further questions or queries for SGUL or general application, feel free to quote or PM me :smile:

Cheers very much. And it is harsh but it's the truth and sometimes the truth is harsh lol.
Reply 34

I think that you should apply as they say on their website that the individual cutoffs will be 500 or less.You are above that . You never know until you try!
Reply 35

I think that you should apply as they say on their website that the individual cutoffs will be 500 or less.You are above that . You never know until you try!

A 500 is essentially a fail, its too low. So of course thats the cut off. Its the cut off to even be liable to apply. If you get bellow 500 you can't apply anywhere even if they don't use the UKCAT at all. I wouldn't apply so carefreely, be careful with your choices and research carefully. Don't waste a single choice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
A 500 is an automatic UKCAT fail. So of course thats the cut off. Its the cut off to even be liable to apply. If you get bellow 500 you can't apply anywhere even if they don't use the UKCAT at all. I wouldn't apply so carefreely, be careful with your choices and research carefully. Don't waste a single choice.

where have you got this pass/fail from:

'A 500 is an automatic UKCAT fail'

It is a sliding scale of achievement.Whilst a low score is limiting it is not limited.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37

where have you got this pass/fail from:

'A 500 is an automatic UKCAT fail'

It is a sliding scale of achievement.Whilst a low score is limiting it is not limited.

Woops, I meant 300 - to get 300 would be as good as a fail. But even then, 500 isn't far from and isn't a huge score just to be honest. It may be a sliding scale but I wouldn't be so content as to simply apply anywhere. If you were to get bellow 500, I doubt unis would take a second look at your application.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
IT may be a sliding scale but I wouldn't be so content as to simply apply anywhere. If you were to get bellow 500, I doubt unis would take a second look at your application.

Where are you applying ?
Reply 39

Where are you applying ?

Not applying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending