The Student Room Group

2011/12 A2 Music Tech

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Lauraaa345
Has anybody managed to find any good synths for Echo Beach? Really struggling on a few of them...I'm using logic pro and would be very grateful for any help! x

You dont really need synths except for the panned synth sound in the intro. I'll post up the track instrumentation I have by Wednesday.
Anyone got any synth recommendations for Cars? I'm using Cubase 5.
Reply 42
I think a lot of you are confusing the Electric Organ for a Synth. The organ used is an electric Hammond Organ or you can use a Leslie Organ (Logic Pro users your plugin should be the EVB3).
Original post by jackf1337
Anyone got any synth recommendations for Cars? I'm using Cubase 5.

Lucky you! We're limited to SX3!!
What's your VSTI? I presume you have Halion but have you anything else? The original was Minimoog and Polymoog so you're looking for classic analogue leads. The high synth is detuned up a bit so it's a bit sharp.
Original post by Fingersmith
What's your VSTI? I presume you have Halion but have you anything else? The original was Minimoog and Polymoog so you're looking for classic analogue leads. The high synth is detuned up a bit so it's a bit sharp.

I've got all of the standard Cubase 5 VSTs. So HAlionONE, Embracer, LoopMash & Groove Agent ONE (drums), Mystic, Prologue and Spector. I also have 3rd party ones, being Sylenth1 and Gladiator. Any suggestions for both synths and drums would be appreciated. Especially the weird sounding clap :/
Well the clap is a combination of handclap and snare, very popular in 80s synth pop. We use Hypersonic for everything so i don't know the others tbh. I'll have a bit of a poke around tho'.
Well the clap is a combination of handclap and snare, very popular in 80s synth pop. We use Hypersonic for everything so i don't know the others tbh. I'll have a bit of a poke around tho'.

Alright cheers. I'll report back with anything I may find as well. Have you noticed the tempo fluctuations in the song?
Yea, you need to do a tempo track/map. There are a couple of posts earlier in the thread that say how to do this. Not being funny but aren't you leaving it a bit late to start? :eek:
Yea, you need to do a tempo track/map. There are a couple of posts earlier in the thread that say how to do this. Not being funny but aren't you leaving it a bit late to start? :eek:

I'll flick back. I'm aware of the tempo changes... Just not entirely sure of what they are/how to work them out...

Well I've inputted all the notes and sorted a couple of sounds out. I've practically finished the other two tracks as well.
Reply 50
Does anyone know what to start to revise for the essay part of the exam?

At least for the AS exam, edexcel produced a revision guide of everything you needed to know, but this year I feel that we're in the dark...
Basically, it's the history of Music technology from Edison's wax recorder onwards. try wiki-ing:

Microphones, recording, electronic instruments, synthesis, amplification, broadcasting, effects & processoring, compare digital to analogue. Jonny Martin's Music Technology Study Guide has quite a bit of stuff but you're right - it's not as thorough as his AS guide. I think he's working on the A2 one. There's also one by Mortimer Rhind-Tutt (yes it's a real name - I've met him) but I haven't seen it.
Reply 52
Basically, it's the history of Music technology from Edison's wax recorder onwards. try wiki-ing:

Microphones, recording, electronic instruments, synthesis, amplification, broadcasting, effects & processoring, compare digital to analogue. Jonny Martin's Music Technology Study Guide has quite a bit of stuff but you're right - it's not as thorough as his AS guide. I think he's working on the A2 one. There's also one by Mortimer Rhind-Tutt (yes it's a real name - I've met him) but I haven't seen it.

are you a student?
Some pointers for folks.

My friend showed me this website. Have a look around (both AS & A2 students), it has some very interesting things on http://sbsmusictech.wordpress.com/

Also, I'm following this guide to create a tempo for Cars http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/recording/using-hitpoints-and-markers-in-cubase-4-to-create-a-tempo-track/
Does anyone know the grade boundaries? I'm trying to work out what I need for a B overall.

I think I got 104/140 for the coursework at AS and 40/60 for the exam which I believe was a B. I know the A2 is out of 120 and 80 for the coursework and exam respectively so if anyone could shed any light it'd be appreciated.
Question about the composition...

Is the maximum length 3 minutes or is that the minimum? D:
Original post by Rayman1
are you a student?

No, teacher but never mind :tongue:
Original post by jackf1337
Does anyone know the grade boundaries? I'm trying to work out what I need for a B overall.

I think I got 104/140 for the coursework at AS and 40/60 for the exam which I believe was a B. I know the A2 is out of 120 and 80 for the coursework and exam respectively so if anyone could shed any light it'd be appreciated.

Generally speaking:

A* = %90
A = %80
B = %70
C = %60
D = %50
E = %40

To turn the raw mark into a Uniform mark a strange incalculable curve is applied and then the boundaries are shifted at an awarding meeting of the top examiners to jiggle the national results.

Original post by CriticalRiff
Question about the composition...

Is the maximum length 3 minutes or is that the minimum? D:

It should be around 3 mins (the Hackers comp MUST follow the timings of the brief exactly as that is what you must do with video). Probably start losing marks below 2'30". No real maximum but you'll piss off the examiner if it's 15 mins.
Ah alright, thanks! I did the poem one and my composition goes just over 5 minutes... was a bit worried if that's too long!
Reply 58
No, teacher but never mind :tongue:

oh, cool. In that case, what do I need to revise for the A2 exam? my teachers dont really know what theyre doing lol

does the A2 exam has more emphasis on producing and mixing?
The A2 paper has a practical production task. You get a load of tracks, mostly audio but last year there was a MIDI track as well, and you have to arrange them into a song following specific instructions (like fixing pitches, adding reverb etc.) and saving different versions along the way. Finally you do the best mix you can of the complete song. You have to burn all of this to a CD (and check that it plays on a regular CD player, not just the computer) which is your submission. Throughout the exam you are also asked to write answers to questions about Music Tech in general; could be historical or analogue vs digital or different types of reverb, processing etc.

There is a book of Listening Tests by Alan Charlton & Alec Boulton which has 3 examples of the A2 paper along with the audio files on a CD. It also has a load of AS practice questions so it might be worth your department investing in it.

Quick Reply

Latest